Interior colour

Hi all, I've noticed that both the pocket book and the A5 sizes which are both available for distribution describe the interior print as black print on white paper, whereas the US trade size is described as black on cream. I have used the US trade size in the past and have been very happy with the quality and appearance. However, my latest novel is only 50,000 words so the US trade size would give it the appearance of a thick magazine rather than a novel unless I use ridiculously large font. I'm concerned that if I use one of the other format sizes that the interior will look a little stark if printed on flat white paper. Is it plain white such as inkjet paper looks or is it an off-white like most paperbacks? Has anyone else here used these other two formats for a fiction book and been happy with the interior appearance? Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Accepted Answer

I'd still prefer to try one of the more compact versions rather than US trade this time.

A5 is comparatively compact, and you can get more words per page than Pocketbook, so fewer pages, making the book cheaper to create, and therefore to sell. The example I gave you was based on one of my A5s.

I admit I don't sell a lot of print books, but when Lulu offer free shipping, as they do from time to time, I alert friends to this. Would I be right in thinking that even if the pocket and A5 sizes are only printed in the US that any free shipping offer is still on?

I have no idea to be honest, I don't live in the USA! But my A5s and Pocketbooks (before I dropped that size) are printed in the UK where I live. I think it's just Standard Paperbacks and the Hardbacks that are only printed in the USA.

And yes I am in the UK (my spelling of 'colour' is a dead giveaway!)

Good point!

Answers

• Hi all, I've noticed that both the pocket book and the A5 sizes

You are looking at Create while logged in as UK? Have a look at size options when logged in as US. Or even vice versa!

which are both available for distribution describe the interior print as black print on white paper, whereas the US trade size is described as black on cream. I have used the US trade size in the past and have been very happy with the quality and appearance.

You will be even happier with the Premium option B&W then! I also think that the Trade options are only printed in the USA, which can make shipping more costly for those who don't live there.

However, my latest novel is only 50,000 words

That's not a small number of words.

so the US trade size would give it the appearance of a thick magazine rather than a novel unless I use ridiculously large font.

Not really, it's quite a normal size and with a size 12 Garamond font it should = around 150 pages, which is quite acceptable for a novel. And 'size' does not matter, as they say, it's content that matters.

I'm concerned that if I use one of the other format sizes that the interior will look a little stark if printed on flat white paper. Is it plain white such as inkjet paper looks or is it an off-white like most paperbacks?

Many mass-printed paperbacks do not look white because they use cheap unbleached recycled paper, which is often also thin. It's still called black on white though, but the paper Lulu uses for black on white is beautifully pristine white, and looks all the better for it. Cream coloured paper is unusual for novels.

Has anyone else here used these other two formats for a fiction book and been happy with the interior appearance? Thanks in advance.

BTW: Your heading asked about interior colour, which is an option. At first I thought you did not mean back and white!

• I'd still prefer to try one of the more compact versions rather than US trade this time. I admit I don't sell a lot of print books, but when Lulu offer free shipping, as they do from time to time, I alert friends to this. Would I be right in thinking that even if the pocket and A5 sizes are only printed in the US that any free shipping offer is still on? And yes I am in the UK (my spelling of 'colour' is a dead giveaway!)
  • Hrmm, I did reply to that, but it's vanished!