Problems uploading and downloading files

2»

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Did you see the link in my post?

Indeed, and I do know that, but it was your mention of Windows and not Microsoft that puzzled me ...

Windows only supports versions up to a certain age. Once Windows no longer supports the software,

… because I just installed Office 10 on to Windows 10 Pro.

it becomes challenging to troubleshoot any issues in a file created with outdated software.

The software from any version remains the same, and people could troubleshoot it at the time when it was the most up-to-date version, so why can they not now? But it does remind me of the breakdown of an old car I once had with a very early CPU unit in it. It took the official dealer's automotive engineers months to work out what was wrong with it, because they could not plug their modern diagnostic computer in to it!

This isn't anything new or strange, I'm not aware of any tech company anywhere that actively supports outdated software.

Why do they need to? It's Lulu's convertor that does not work 100%. Why is that Window's or even MS's problem?  What MS means is they will not be sending out any more bug fixes for Office 10 by Update (which they never did anyway!)

Oh well. When will the new convertor by online? I have a book to publish!

• Beginner said:
    I have never found that Word software needed any support. It has its own Help glossary. "Support" usually means protection from internet viruses. 
    I was told that files for uploading to Lulu needed to be in MS Word 2007 or later, and the explanation given was that the later versions enabled us to format headings and sub-headings to create an index, also the option to "embed your fonts".
    However, the earlier versions also can set headings and sub-headings and make them distinct.
    I never did understand what embedding fonts meant though I did it for the purpose of a print book. The book came out very small.
    Next Ebook I will just try to make a PDF file, There has to be some way of doing it.
    It would be helpful to know whether Lulu can upload or process an Open Office file. I have used Open Office and found it pretty much the same as MS Word.
    Support in this case doesn't mean virus protection. It means Microsoft isn't updating or maintaining the software. New programs that use files from older version can experience any number of issues. That's the very reason companies retire older versions and focus on maintaining the newer, most functional version.
    For an ebook conversion, you won't be able to use a PDF. While there are tools for converting PDF to ebook, we don't employ any of them currently.
    For my part, I've only had limited experience converting a PDF to EPUB and it's always been a terrible pain.
    I never did understand what embedding fonts meant though I did it for the purpose of a print book.

There should be no need to embed fonts that Lulu class as 'Standard.' Garamond is one, and I set to 12pnt. I use both because they are easy to read for most people.

The book came out very small.

The book should be the size that  you pick at the start in Create, and of course you file of pages has to match that size and shape.

Next Ebook I will just try to make a PDF file, There has to be some way of doing it.

Well, a PDF is an e-book, and is an actual option that Lulu have (the other is an ePub) :) Word can Save As a PDF. Word 10 can anyway, I have no idea about Word 7, look in the Save options.

It would be helpful to know whether Lulu can upload or process an Open Office file. I have used Open Office and found it pretty much the same as MS Word.

Most Help that Lulu provide on their pages is to do with Word. Although other progs can create doc and docx I would have thought that a Word created one would be the best to upload to Lulu.
    Support in this case doesn't mean virus protection. It means Microsoft isn't updating or maintaining the software.

They never have supported Office or Word in that manner, apart from plugging holes that hackers can use. No doubt they will stop doing that, but I don't recall them ever doing it for Office or Word, just for Windows itself. If they updated the versions, and for free, my Word 10 would possibly be up to Word 15 by now! (I never use auto-install of updates, I prefer to see what they are first. Seems W 10 no longer gives you any choice though!)
    Actual Help is still in the progs and still on line.

New programs that use files from older version can experience any number of issues.

I have not found any, and I have doc and docx going back decades. When they are opened in Word it simply converts them to the latest type, if it needs to, and it does ask first.

That's the very reason companies retire older versions and focus on maintaining the newer, most functional version.

Is to try to get you to buy the latest one. They don't start afresh, they just rework the code and give it a new version name. If they did not, they would be out of business.

For an ebook conversion, you won't be able to use a PDF. While there are tools for converting PDF to ebook, we don't employ any of them currently.
    For my part, I've only had limited experience converting a PDF to EPUB and it's always been a terrible pain.

It would be handy if the ePub Wizard simply accepted an uploaded ePub without trying to convert it in some manner. An ePub is an ePub is it not? Well, apart from newer versions of them  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#History

• Has there been any progress fixing t he Lulu file converter so that we can upload a revised, corrected version or a new book?
    Just Kevin says "The book should be the size that  you pick at the start in Create,"
    Well it did not appear to be. I picked a normal sized book measuring everything carefully with a book in my hand and a ruler.
    What I got was a tiny pocket-sized book like a notebook.
     "and of course you file of pages has to match that size and shape." That may be another problem. I had to keep making the typeface bigger so that it was finally legible. 
    Kevin says "There should be no need to embed fonts that Lulu class as 'Standard.' " Well why does the guidance tell you you must embed the fonts for a printed book? I just tried to follow the instructions.
    Has there been any progress fixing t he Lulu file converter so that we can upload a revised, corrected version or a new book?

It is the ePub converter that is broken, not the one for printed books.

Just Kevin says "The book should be the size that  you pick at the start in Create,"
    Well it did not appear to be. I picked a normal sized book measuring everything carefully with a book in my hand and a ruler.

I have no idea what you mean by that, it's the size options you see in Create (printed books) here see >>   http://www.lulu.com/create/books, that's what you go off and then create, starting with a docx or PDF on your PC. You have to make a file of pages in Word or whatever, to match the size of one of those book options, and that is what you upload to a printed book Project Wizard.

"and of course you file of pages has to match that size and shape." That may be another problem. I had to keep making the typeface bigger so that it was finally legible.

Page size has nothing to do with font size. They are different settings.
     I use Garamond 12pnt. It's perfectly legible, and stays that size no matter what page size is used! Are you using some app that tries to keep the same number of words on a page as you mess with the size of the page? What are you using?

Kevin says "There should be no need to embed fonts that Lulu class as 'Standard.' " Well why does the guidance tell you you must embed the fonts for a printed book? I just tried to follow the instructions.

It only tells you to do that with PDFs. With Word docx you have to use the fonts Lulu's Wizards will accept, if you wish to use ones that they will not, then you have to upload a PDF with the font embedded. 
  • Hi Beginner,

Our software cannot currently convert PDFs to ePubs. This is something that we are exploring for the future.

You can choose to create a PDF eBook on Lulu but it will only be sold via the Lulu Storefront.

We have not experienced issues creating PDF eBooks, just ePub eBooks currently.
    So the OP is not meaning printed books? It's this that made me believe it's a printed book >>   Just Kevin says "The book should be the size that  you pick at the start in Create,"
  • Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.
    I was referring to problems creating the printed version. I used a MS word file and did not choose any particular page size, so it may have been wrong. I have never orked with PDF  files.
    The book did come out much smaller than the size I selected. 
    I uploaded the Word file and thought the fonts had to be embedded.
    I would like to revise it to produce a larger book, but am now unable to upload a revision because the files cannot be converted.
    I would like to revise the Ebook for other reasons, and hope file-conversion soon becomes possible again.
  • Under the specifications of the print book it now says, 
    "4.25" x 6.88",
     but that is not the size I chose. I chose a standard book size.
     I can only presume that the size got changed somehow by accident and I was not aware of it. Now there is no way to change it. I think there should have been some opportunity to confirm it before going ahead with printing.
    The fact that the whole uploading process then went caput has not really helped.

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.
    I was referring to problems creating the printed version. I used a MS word file and did not choose any particular page size, so it may have been wrong.

Well, if you mean via Create here, then you have no choice but pick a size, and I am sure you mentioned seeing me say this, but within Word you then have to make a file of pages of the same size as the size of book you have picked in Create.

I have never orked with PDF  files.

Maybe not, but Word is able to Save As a PDF with embedded fonts, so you don't actually have to work with a PDF.

The book did come out much smaller than the size I selected.

That's unheard of and hardly seems possible.

I uploaded the Word file and thought the fonts had to be embedded.

Well, they are, within the docx, but if they are not ones that are acceptable by the Project Wizard convertors here the docx will not work.

I would like to revise it to produce a larger book, but am now unable to upload a revision because the files cannot be converted.

Why not? Are you sure you are actually using a printed book Wizard? This is the start of such >>  http://www.lulu.com/create/books

I would like to revise the Ebook for other reasons, and hope file-conversion soon becomes possible again. 

Most of us hope the same :)
2»