We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Problems uploading and downloading files

2»

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Did you see the link in my post?

Indeed, and I do know that, but it was your mention of Windows and not Microsoft that puzzled me ...

Windows only supports versions up to a certain age. Once Windows no longer supports the software,

… because I just installed Office 10 on to Windows 10 Pro.

it becomes challenging to troubleshoot any issues in a file created with outdated software.

The software from any version remains the same, and people could troubleshoot it at the time when it was the most up-to-date version, so why can they not now? But it does remind me of the breakdown of an old car I once had with a very early CPU unit in it. It took the official dealer's automotive engineers months to work out what was wrong with it, because they could not plug their modern diagnostic computer in to it!

This isn't anything new or strange, I'm not aware of any tech company anywhere that actively supports outdated software.

Why do they need to? It's Lulu's convertor that does not work 100%. Why is that Window's or even MS's problem?  What MS means is they will not be sending out any more bug fixes for Office 10 by Update (which they never did anyway!)

Oh well. When will the new convertor by online? I have a book to publish!

• Beginner said:
    I have never found that Word software needed any support. It has its own Help glossary. "Support" usually means protection from internet viruses. 
    I was told that files for uploading to Lulu needed to be in MS Word 2007 or later, and the explanation given was that the later versions enabled us to format headings and sub-headings to create an index, also the option to "embed your fonts".
    However, the earlier versions also can set headings and sub-headings and make them distinct.
    I never did understand what embedding fonts meant though I did it for the purpose of a print book. The book came out very small.
    Next Ebook I will just try to make a PDF file, There has to be some way of doing it.
    It would be helpful to know whether Lulu can upload or process an Open Office file. I have used Open Office and found it pretty much the same as MS Word.
    Support in this case doesn't mean virus protection. It means Microsoft isn't updating or maintaining the software. New programs that use files from older version can experience any number of issues. That's the very reason companies retire older versions and focus on maintaining the newer, most functional version.
    For an ebook conversion, you won't be able to use a PDF. While there are tools for converting PDF to ebook, we don't employ any of them currently.
    For my part, I've only had limited experience converting a PDF to EPUB and it's always been a terrible pain.
    I never did understand what embedding fonts meant though I did it for the purpose of a print book.

There should be no need to embed fonts that Lulu class as 'Standard.' Garamond is one, and I set to 12pnt. I use both because they are easy to read for most people.

The book came out very small.

The book should be the size that  you pick at the start in Create, and of course you file of pages has to match that size and shape.

Next Ebook I will just try to make a PDF file, There has to be some way of doing it.

Well, a PDF is an e-book, and is an actual option that Lulu have (the other is an ePub) :) Word can Save As a PDF. Word 10 can anyway, I have no idea about Word 7, look in the Save options.

It would be helpful to know whether Lulu can upload or process an Open Office file. I have used Open Office and found it pretty much the same as MS Word.

Most Help that Lulu provide on their pages is to do with Word. Although other progs can create doc and docx I would have thought that a Word created one would be the best to upload to Lulu.
    Support in this case doesn't mean virus protection. It means Microsoft isn't updating or maintaining the software.

They never have supported Office or Word in that manner, apart from plugging holes that hackers can use. No doubt they will stop doing that, but I don't recall them ever doing it for Office or Word, just for Windows itself. If they updated the versions, and for free, my Word 10 would possibly be up to Word 15 by now! (I never use auto-install of updates, I prefer to see what they are first. Seems W 10 no longer gives you any choice though!)
    Actual Help is still in the progs and still on line.

New programs that use files from older version can experience any number of issues.

I have not found any, and I have doc and docx going back decades. When they are opened in Word it simply converts them to the latest type, if it needs to, and it does ask first.

That's the very reason companies retire older versions and focus on maintaining the newer, most functional version.

Is to try to get you to buy the latest one. They don't start afresh, they just rework the code and give it a new version name. If they did not, they would be out of business.

For an ebook conversion, you won't be able to use a PDF. While there are tools for converting PDF to ebook, we don't employ any of them currently.
    For my part, I've only had limited experience converting a PDF to EPUB and it's always been a terrible pain.

It would be handy if the ePub Wizard simply accepted an uploaded ePub without trying to convert it in some manner. An ePub is an ePub is it not? Well, apart from newer versions of them  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#History

2»