We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Problems uploading and downloading files

Hallo, I am trying to produce an Ebook and a print book. 
The Ebook was uploaded six months ago and is on sale but I cannot get the revised version to convert to PDF on the system. The Lulu system won't tell me what the problem with this file is.
I have sent in several requests for help but got no response so far.

With the print version, the proof copy is tiny, far smaller than I specified. I thought chose a standard size. 

I would like to know what I can do about this.

Also  - is it possible to download my own MS Word file again from the Lulu site, as a Word file? 
Thanks! 

Comments

• Do you not have the Word file on your computer? If you don't have it (and you really should save your manuscript on your computer) see if you can copy the text out of the ebook by highlighting it and the copying and pasting it into Notepad, to strip out any formatting. Then copy the text out of Notepad and into Word. You might not be able to copy the text out of the ebook.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do but the best way to produce a PDF from a Word document is to use a program such as doPDF, which is free to download. If you are making a print book remember to specify the size of your book in the PDF software so that the PDF is the correct size. For example, if your book is 6 x 9 inches then your PDF must be too and you have to select this size when making the PDF by going to the properties dialogue box and specifying 6 x 9.

It is always best to upload a PDF to Lulu for a print book. If your ebook is a PDF then upload a PDF too instead of relying on the converter to convert your document to a PDF.

Please note that whatever I tell you a certain gentleman will be along to refute what I have said and offer different advice. It will be up to you to decide which advise to follow.
  • You can find any file you've uploaded to your Lulu account and used in an active project under the My Files tab as well.
  • Thank you for this help. 
    Is the Lulu site still unable to upload and convert any wordfiles at all? Or is this a specific problem with my own file that I am having.
  • If I download my own book as a PDF file, will I be able to make corrections in the PDF file?
  • The PDF can be tricky to revise. Adobe Pro has a lot of PDF editing tools (but it's a paid program).
    In terms of text editing, reworking a PDF is generally not a great idea though. It's tedious and riddled with issues (text boxes resizing, fonts not matching, etc.).
  • Thanks for the warning!  I have looked again at the statement about uploading files for conversion onto Lulu and in fact it does not mention files done in MicroSoft Word 2007.
     So I conclude that my file was refused because of a specific fault, which can be fixed my end  - as soon as I know what it is!
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    You can find any file you've uploaded to your Lulu account and used in an active project under the My Files tab as well.

Funnily enough, I am transferring files over to a new PC, but very strangely some of the docx files (and the docx files for Kindle!) for uploading to Lulu's ePub Wizard have vanished from my previous PC, so cannot be transferred (they are not even on my backup HD!)

I had used them to create ePubs here, so I thought, OK, the docx will be in my Lulu My Files like all other files used in and to create a project are, and I can download them. But they are not there, only the Wizard created ePubs are listed. Another strange thing is new Marketing images are also not in My files, just the older ones.

(BTW: To the left of the My files list is a massive list of Project names, but including ones deleted years ago (such as jpgs from when it was possible to sell downloadable art here.) What's the point of that? It's confusing.)

Incidentally. Many versions of Word will Save As a PDF without any add-on.
  • Incidentally. Many versions of Word will Save As a PDF without any add-on.
    The one thing to remember when doing this is to select the 'best for print' option. Otherwise Word will 100% compress images in the file.
    There's no option such as that in Word 10, and I have just loaded Word 10 to a Windows 10 PC and still don't see that option. Strangely, the options do seem to have changed though! One is named Standard (publishing online and printing) which I assume is the same thing. The other option, Minimum Size (publishing online) does compress the save. There are other defaults that need to be set under Options as well, and they have reset, so I will have to look on my old PC to see what they were!
  • Yeah, sadly Word tends to change up the language and layout between PC and Mac, so it's hard to define a single set of instructions. But it sounds like you're right regarding the print quality options.
  • I have just tried again to upload and convert my MS Word file in order to revise my Ebook. Once again, it uploaded but would not convert . No problem specified - just "It Wont convert".
    This is very frustrating.
    Incidentally I was trying on a different computer so it's nothing to do with my laptop.
    And 9 times out of ten when I attempt to use these forums or to ask for help on Lulu I find that I am automatically logged out. You go to Forums when already logged in and it says-
     Howdy stranger!  You have been logged out. So you log back in and try again - Howdy Stranger!!! Why does it do this? It's happened to me on three different computers using three different browsers.
    I have asked Lulu help for an explanation of why the Word file won't convert and I don't get any reply. It's a MS Word 2007 file and i did give it headings and I did embed the fonts.
    All I get in my inbox is messages asking me for feedback on the help that I asked for. I will be happy to give the feedback AFTER I have had some help.
             Why won't the file convert?

• The ebook convertor isn't working correctly. They are waiting to fix it when they update the site. I can't use it either. Even to revise files that are already published. Get the same message. And I get the same thing with being logged out sometimes and the Howdy Stranger message. Not sure what it is.
  • Thanks for this moral support. It helps to know that I am not alone!!!
    I notice that in the guide to preparing a file for publication it says 
    "NOTE: The steps described below are specific to MS Word 2007 or later versions. If you are using an earlier version or a different word processing program, refer to your software’s Help files to complete these steps."
    Does that mean that we don't actually have to use Microsoft Word 2007 or later to create our files?

• Also, does Lulu accept word files created with any other software e.g. Libre Office or Apache Open Office ?
    Thanks.
  • Regarding the login issues, there's some updating on our end regarding how we log users into Lulu accounts. But if you're being logged out, that's the browser. As far as I know we don't time you out of your account.
    Now, for MS Word, I have to recommend using the newest version. We can offer guidance that might pertain to older versions, but we test everything against the newest build and that's the version Microsoft will be supporting.
    Most likely, the issue is our converter. You can try converting on your own and updating the EPUB to our standard or you can absolutely use Libre Office to make an ODT file. Converting from DOCX to either ODT or EPUB will require some editing before you can upload, but it can be done.
  • Paul can we upload Kindle's here? Or does it need to be epub? Amazon has a kindle maker for download. If not I'll see how Calibre works for me.
    above all forum pages 

We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
    We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.
    Paul can we upload Kindle's here? Or does it need to be epub? Amazon has a kindle maker for download. If not I'll see how Calibre works for me. 

I really doubt Lulu will allow a Mobi to be uploaded to Lulu, never-mind to the ePub Wizard here, that I would think would not even know what to do with it. Mobis are exclusive to Amazon.
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    I too use MS Word 2007 and have published twenty-seven books on Lulu using this. I am close to the conclusion of another novel and will attempt to publish using the same routine as old. I realise the problems recently with the uploading of files and can only presume I will encounter these setbacks. I hope I'm wrong. 
  • Paul can we upload Kindle's here? Or does it need to be epub? Amazon has a kindle maker for download. If not I'll see how Calibre works for me.
    No, Amazon (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't allow anyone else to use their Kindle file type.
    There are a number of free online converters that can make an EPUB from a Kindle file, but I can't speak to how well those will work.
  • HULSEY said:
    I too use MS Word 2007 and have published twenty-seven books on Lulu using this. I am close to the conclusion of another novel and will attempt to publish using the same routine as old. I realise the problems recently with the uploading of files and can only presume I will encounter these setbacks. I hope I'm wrong. 
    While using a 10+ year old version of Word might be working currently, I would strongly suggest looking to upgrade. Windows is not supporting 2007 editions (and ended everything earlier than 2013 last year).
    The current issue may be related to our EPUB converter, but running an unsupported version of Word to create the file makes it challenging to troubleshoot.
  • It is very good news that Lulu will accept files in Libre Office form. It might have saved me a lot of time, trouble and some incidental expense if I had known that.
    What about Apache?
    I will explore Libre Office and check that it can do headings, sub-headings and a prepared index as required by Lulu in future.
    I will also check whether my Word software can convert a text into PDF. 
    MS 2007 may sound old to you, but in fact for a writer's purpose, the far older versions from the 1990s are preferable, That's because they are less complicated. The half dozen main features you use all the time are quick and easy to operate. 
    So the most convenient way to write a book is to write it using Word from c.1995, then convert the whole book into Word 2007 format just before uploading.
    Thank you for all this help!
  • I was told that the Word file needed to be in Word 2007 or later because of the requirement for headings and different styles. Yet on earlier versions of Word you can still format headings using Styles which is found on the Formatting menu. Presumably this creates a document map?
    Why wouldn't that work in order to create an E-publishable file?
    What do you mean by an unsupported version of Word? I have been using it for as long as I can remember (along with other MS products (not just Windows)) and I cannot recall them updating anything other than 'security' to stop hackers and bug fixes. MS bring out  new versions and expect you to buy them. (I think Word is up to Word 19 now!) There's also that annoying Office 360 now, which seems to be a monthly subscription on-line thing.

When I come to think about it, Lulu's ePub Wizard broke around the same time I started to be unable to upload or paste things to the forum from my PC. (I am on  a new one now, I will see if that can.)
    yup it can! How strange.
    It is very good news that Lulu will accept files in Libre Office form. It might have saved me a lot of time, trouble and some incidental expense if I had known that.
    What about Apache?
    I will explore Libre Office and check that it can do headings, sub-headings and a prepared index as required by Lulu in future.

In theory, anything that can create a docx file should be OK. But is it some random docx the converter is having problems with, no matter what software created it?

I will also check whether my Word software can convert a text into PDF.

I know my Word 10 can, but aren't people also have trouble uploading some PDFs to the convertor also? (There's also an MS app for Word that will convert to epub. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/word-to-epub-converter/9nr7rm5fv3sx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

MS 2007 may sound old to you, but in fact for a writer's purpose, the far older versions from the 1990s are preferable, That's because they are less complicated. The half dozen main features you use all the time are quick and easy to operate.

I agree. Prior to Windows XP I used to use a very lesser known DTP prog that was far far better than Word, it was so simple to use, but could actually do complex things! but it would not Save As a Doc (or in fact any known suffix! It was a print out only thing!) Anyway, should a doc or docx not be the same no matter what version of Word they are created on? 

So the most convenient way to write a book is to write it using Word from c.1995, then convert the whole book into Word 2007 format just before uploading.

Not to Word 19?  :)

Anyway, I hope it's sorted out soon because it would be a shame to have to only use Kindle.

Thank you for all this help!
  • What do you mean by an unsupported version of Word? I have been using it for as long as I can remember (along with other MS products (not just Windows)) and I cannot recall them updating anything other than 'security' to stop hackers and bug fixes. MS bring out  new versions and expect you to buy them. (I think Word is up to Word 19 now!) There's also that annoying Office 360 now, which seems to be a monthly subscription on-line thing.

When I come to think about it, Lulu's ePub Wizard broke around the same time I started to be unable to upload or paste things to the forum from my PC. (I am on  a new one now, I will see if that can.)
    Did you see the link in my post? Windows only supports versions up to a certain age. Once Windows no longer supports the software, it becomes challenging to troubleshoot any issues in a file created with outdated software.
    This isn't anything new or strange, I'm not aware of any tech company anywhere that actively supports outdated software.
  • I have never found that Word software needed any support. It has its own Help glossary. "Support" usually means protection from internet viruses. 
    I was told that files for uploading to Lulu needed to be in MS Word 2007 or later, and the explanation given was that the later versions enabled us to format headings and sub-headings to create an index, also the option to "embed your fonts".
    However, the earlier versions also can set headings and sub-headings and make them distinct.
    I never did understand what embedding fonts meant though I did it for the purpose of a print book. The book came out very small.
    Next Ebook I will just try to make a PDF file, There has to be some way of doing it.
    It would be helpful to know whether Lulu can upload or process an Open Office file. I have used Open Office and found it pretty much the same as MS Word.
  • Hallo again, I just went and checked Libre Office, and it has the option to export a Word Document as a PDF file.
    Could this be the answer to many conversion problems? Once the document is made into a PDF file presumably Lulu would be able to turn it into an E-book without major conversion issues?