We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Problems with Conversion

As I've written elsewhere, I discovered that I could not upload a pdf of my file I created myself so I had to upload the Word file itself and let Lulu's site convert to a pdf. The problem I encountered with that, though, was that the conversions weren't matching the original file. Extra pages kept slipping in, affecting my table of contents and internal section headers weren't appearing on the pages with the sections they labeled. Now, in the most recent proof I ordered, there is a new problem!

Glancing through it I discovered another pdf conversion glitch! A footnote which in the original (and earlier proofs) appears on the same page as the numeral notation corresponding to it now slips to the next page. This definitely should NOT have happened and I am now concerned for other such slippages elsewhere in the book which only a close re-reading of every page can ferret out.

Especially worrying is the fact that I found it by just casually leafing through (prompted by the fact that the margins on the left side of each page seem to have slipped too close to the edge of the pages!). Now I am not confident this version of the book is a reliable one or one I will be happy with. 

Comments

  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    And are you uploading the correct size?


  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Use doPDF (available free of charge; just Google doPDF) to convert your Word document to a PDF and you won't have any problems.
  • swmirsky said:
    As I've written elsewhere, I discovered that I could not upload a pdf of my file I created myself so I had to upload the Word file itself and let Lulu's site convert to a pdf. The problem I encountered with that, though, was that the conversions weren't matching the original file. Extra pages kept slipping in, affecting my table of contents and internal section headers weren't appearing on the pages with the sections they labeled. Now, in the most recent proof I ordered, there is a new problem!

    Glancing through it I discovered another pdf conversion glitch! A footnote which in the original (and earlier proofs) appears on the same page as the numeral notation corresponding to it now slips to the next page. This definitely should NOT have happened and I am now concerned for other such slippages elsewhere in the book which only a close re-reading of every page can ferret out.

    Especially worrying is the fact that I found it by just casually leafing through (prompted by the fact that the margins on the left side of each page seem to have slipped too close to the edge of the pages!). Now I am not confident this version of the book is a reliable one or one I will be happy with. 
    If our converter didn't accept a PDF, there's definitely a reason that can be troubleshot. Troubleshooted? You know what I mean...
    Anyway, it's not surprising at all for a Word DOCX to see content shifting during PDF conversion. Our converter simply takes the file, makes a PDF to size, and runs our pre-press check. Since Word notoriously does a bad job with their editor in terms of PDF preparation, seeing line sizes not match up (and thereby causing text to shift) is unsurprising.
    I strongly recommend creating a PDF. DoPDF and other file preparation tools are great to ensure your file meets print requirements, and if all else fails you can reach out to our support team for a diagnostic. They won't be able to fix the PDF for you, but they should be able to give you answer regarding the cause of the problems.
  • Yes, thanks. I have to re-assess this stuff now. Not sure if it pays to try to change the file YET AGAIN and go through yet another proof buying process! Perhaps I'm just too much of a stickler for perfection but, frankly, with this sort of book, one doesn't want anything that smacks of "amateur"!
Sign In or Register to comment.