We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Revised Book cover

Here is the full book cover and a possible other back, thoughts?

Comments

• I'd proof the grammar on the back blurb; some missing commas and other minor issues. Also, consider whether there is enough contrast for the writing on the spine. Finally, look at the kerning and spacing -- there are a couple of places where dark patches in the background art look like punctuation in the blurb.

The portal on the tree seems discordant, like it's added onto the image instead of integrated into the image. It's okay, but it draws the eye a bit too much, maybe.

Otherwise, not a bad cover.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I clicked on the full cover one and see it at almost real size, if not a bit bigger.

It's an eye-catching cover, but mainly because of the sickly shades of green with the white.

I don't see any spacing or kerning problems in the blurb. I assume it's formatted automatically, anyway.

I see no dark patches that could be mistaken for punctuation.

But to be honest, I would put the text on the back in to white boxes and just use a solid black text.

The text on the spine could have a thicker outline, or a contrasting colour. (I often use Dropshadows to make text clearer.)

The front cover title is very compressed, and why not put it at the top until you are famous?  :) put your name at the bottom, and in the same font as the title.

But the art is a bit odd. What is the smudge behind the word Mark on the title?

The person and the portal are completely detached, added on later, but not very well. The person is not stood on the ground! And if the portal is supposed to be on the tree, it isn't.

Why do you need Levi's age, but not the others'?

And the names would be more impressive if they were famous people.

• The whole cover is nicely rendered. The main problems lie with the portal and the figure. The former simply doesn’t look like part of the tree. It needs to be integrated better. The difficulty with the figure is its unnatural looking stiffness. It looks tacked on.

There are a few issues with the design. A little more space between the figure’s feet and the title would be nice. I would raise the entire cover image to do this...which might also help relieve the large empty space in the upper third. Your name almost looks like an afterthought, tucked up at the top the way it is. Alternatively, you might want to try Kevin’s suggestion about transposing the title and author name. This might resolve most of the layout issues with the cover.

As Skoob_ym has pointed out, the back cover blurb needs editing. To his suggestions I might add that the first sentence of the second paragraph says that Cade himself is filled with adventure, magic and mythical beasts.

I agree with Kevin that comments by people unfamiliar to the potential reader really don’t carry much weight.
  • I really appreciate your comments.  Always welcomed no matter if it's what I'd like to hear or not.  I've been working on it for a while and thought I'd got it.  Though it seems not yet...  Which is ok.  I have taken a long time to write my novel and desire to accomplish a great cover to catch the eye of the potential reader.

I had the cover done via Fiverr and did a little tweaking to it, but the figure was as is, I'll see if I can go back and give him a little more life.  Any help you can give will be very much appreciated, like rewording/editing, if allowed.  I'm still very new at this and I learn by trial and error.  

Thank you again

I really appreciate your comments.  Always welcomed no matter if it's what I'd like to hear or not.

Few do! But it can be a help to get impartial opinions.

I've been working on it for a while and thought I'd got it.  Though it seems not yet...  Which is ok.

It just needs the details sorting out.

I have taken a long time to write my novel and desire to accomplish a great cover to catch the eye of the potential reader.

Indeed, you are not far off it.

I had the cover done via Fiverr and did a little tweaking to it,

Just the background from Fiverr or all of it?

but the figure was as is,

Whoever did the background did that also? If so they have taken a stock image and speedily tagged on the figure. But that smudge is very annoying!

I'll see if I can go back and give him a little more life.

Do you have the cover as components? If not that will not be easy.

Any help you can give will be very much appreciated, like rewording/editing, if allowed.  I'm still very new at this and I learn by trial and error.

Just keep fiddling and pasting back in to here.  

• @ Kevin  - I have the source file with the layers, so yes that's makes it easier.

• Ok round two...

The title is still very cramped. Do you not have the software capabilities of cutting it in to three words to add more space between them?

The entire image needs to be lowered, so that the title, the subtitle and the part number, can all be placed above the person. (There's the danger the l of Oval could end up trimmed off, too, where it is. Stay away from the edges.)

The portal still does not look as if it's on the tree. The portal is very flat and the tree is not. Perhaps it should be in a large shallow hole in the tree?

The person still looks blurred. And have you raised him and the portal? If so, I would lower them again, and just place rocks and grass so you cannot see his feet or the bottom of the portal. That would also remove the sort of floating effect.

The lighting is a bit strange, also. Where's it coming from? What direction?

All the text on the back needs to be centralised, and the blurb set at 'justified.'

• The title on the spine is better imho. The portal... that's a very good tree; would it be possible to incorporate the portal into the grain of the trunk, perhaps angle to portal a bit? Could the boy be given a bit of shadow, as Kevin suggested? He does look more as if he's standing on the ground in this one, and less of an afterthought, but still not entirely integrated.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 18
    I like the tree; but for me the portal is too solid and too blue. Also I like Kevin's idea of having the figure standing in grass. Lighting too is important in art. I much prefer the title at the top and the font you've used. (I'd prefer your name in the same type of font.) It will look great if you just make those few changes. Good luck!
  • I think I'm done.

I think that's better. GOOD LOCK!
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    edited November 19
    Much better! But the figure still looks tacked on—it is very stiff and uninvolved—and the portal very much needs to be more part of the tree.

There may be too many subtitle/tags. I would put “Part One” and “The Celtic Circle” together.

The grass you have added is not the same colour as any of the other grass, or as 'swirly'. In fact the grass below it actually looks like flowing seaweed rather than grass.

Do you know how to use the Push tool in art software? If so you could use it to Push some blades of the existing grass over his feet, then it would match and look as if it belongs.

You could use the same method on the tree trunk. Push the tree texture over the left hand edge of the trunk, then that too will make the portal look as if it is within the tree, not just floating near it.

I still stand on what I said about the text on the front cover.

BTW. I have just actually read the blurb! Stories are often true, legends may be based on some truth. I would remove the mention of stories.

• BksOfBrownBksOfBrown Creator
    edited November 19
    I really appreciate your comments of help and some adjustments needed.  My knowledge of photoshop elements (7) is limited (as you have clearly seen).  So it's with trial and error, I forge on.  

@Larika - Thank you

@Kevin - There is no 'push tool' a google search says something about liquify, which this does but I don't think that's the right thing.  I will change the seaweed look on some of the grass areas
    BTW I like how the title is, as is, though I did separate them ever so slightly.  But thank you for your thoughts on that.

@Ron - I added the extra subs as an after thought.   Those changes I can make, if I keep them  (this may mean I change the inside of the book adding the subtitle, so that will mean getting a new isbn, me thinks, as the current one is set now).  I am trying to blend the portal into the tree by blending/blurring and using transparency, but as I see, I'm not making that happen as of yet.

I will keep on going...

By the way do you have Paint Shop Pro so much easier to work in than Photoshop.
    I know the blurb needs a little more revision.  One thing at time. Any and all help is welcome...my brain is getting tired :P.
  • Larika said:
    By the way do you have Paint Shop Pro so much easier to work in than Photoshop.
    No I don't.  Only PSE 7
  • This looks much better!
    The figure is coming along very nicely. Keep working on it. And you might want to enhance the magicalness of the portal even more, though it is looking very good.
    I would lose that drop shadow under the figure, though, since it really makes no sense anyway.

Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • Ok last upload
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    edited November 19
    “Last upload”? Then, sadly, then there is nothing more to say. Including, unfortunately, typos in the back cover blurb.
    I just didn't want to exhaust you all with constant uploads.  My knowledge in illustration is limited.  All your thoughts are most welcomed.
  • Don’t worry about us! We are here to help!  :)

Your cover is looking really good! We’re just getting down to some fine-tuning now. You want your cover to be worthy of all of the work you put into your book, and to reflect that work adequately.

There is no 'push tool' a google search says something about liquify, which this does but I don't think that's the right thing.

No, I don't think it is, but Push, Pull, Drag and Smudge tools are in Photoshop I believe.   https://www.dummies.com/photography/photo-software/adobe-photoshop-elements/pushing-pixels-around-with-the-smudge-tool-in-photoshop-elements-9/  Such software often has common named tools to make it easier for people to swap progs.

I will change the seaweed look on some of the grass areas

Perhaps Liquefy was used on it?  :)

BTW I like how the title is, as is, though I did separate them ever so slightly.  But thank you for your thoughts on that.

Well it is just my opinion of course. But my partial OCD really dislikes that The is not centralised to the other words!

It certainly looks better now with the greater attention detail to the merging, but the man still looks washed out, he looks a bit ghostly as if he's not there. And the glaring light on the tree trunk makes it look as if there's a strong light behind him, so perhaps his shadow should be shown?

• I've made a few changes to the cover art to illustrate some points that you might want to consider.

1. I've made the portal brighter and more active-looking. It also makes the portal a little more the focus of the cover.
    2. I've removed the black outline from around the figure. The outline not only made the figure look pasted-on, it suggested a shadow on the side of the figure facing the light source.
    3. I've brightened the side of the figure that is facing the portal. Likewise, I darkened parts of the shaded side. This not only makes him a little better integrated into the scene, it makes him look a little more 3-dimensional.
    4. I've included a cast shadow beneath the figure, on the roots of the tree.
    5. Finally, I added fingers to the figure's right hand.