We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Poetry Chapbook.

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if a poetry chapbook is a good way to start getting your name and material out there? Please any advise will be really help full.

Comments

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Poetry is not the easiest type of book to sell in order to "get your name out there." However if you want to choose a theme and publish a chapbook, it could work out. It's a way for people to see what your writing is like. Here in Lulu the chapbook will probably be saddle-stitched and certainly cheaper than a full length one. Good luck.
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Poetry is incredibly difficult to sell. If you have a look at any online book store you will see that it is flooded with poetry books. If you have a look at the sales rank you will see that most of them have never sold even a single copy.

If you love writing then publish your book; it can do no harm. If you want to get your name out there then it would probably be better to join a group and publish your work there.
  • As with any book, it is up to you to see that people are aware of it. The simple fact of making it available isn't enough: potential readers need to know it is there. You need to promote your book and make people aware of its existence. Poetry adds a level of difficulty, but the basic principles are the same.

That being said, there are small presses that publish poetry chapbooks, such as Birds LLC. But you have to go through the same sort of submission process you would with any publisher.

Poetry is incredibly difficult to sell.

Isn't that surprising? Many decades ago poetry writers were looked on as superstars, and made a lot of money. Then again, there was no cinema,  no recorded music, no radio, no TV, no internet, no smartphones.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

If you want to get your name out there then it would probably be better to join a group and publish your work there.

What does that mean? Apart from getting noticed by that group, and also what do you mean by "and publish your work there"? Do you mean on Facebook or something?

• vikingboervikingboer strand. Reader
    Thanks for the great advise. I'm new to writing and is there any good groups to join? I'm not a big social media fan. 

edited November 13
    Try this group. Make your chapbook in Lulu and publicise it here in the forums and elsewhere. Buy some copies and try to sell them at various venues. Like Ron said "You need to promote your book and make people aware of its existence." Be warned though, poetry is not easy to sell. However I buy poetry books and I might buy your chapbook! PS if you have never made a book in Lulu before, we can help you here in the forums. Also check out the Knowledge Base.

Many people use Facebook, but it does seem to be full of writers promoting their wares, rather than people who wish to buy them.
    Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I published my chapbook on a pdf format. For courage and inspiration is the title, please support, review and comment on it.
    edited November 15
    Why not put a signature of your spotlight shop. To do that go to Lulu Community by your name (top right) press  end button (Edit button)  you then get edit profile. Go to signature settings and press. Type or copy/paste the name of your Spotlight shop into the box.
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1612347      It makes it easier for buyers to find your book
    PS. Is your book religious? Could you make a preview of a couple of pages? I know you only have 11 pages but it would give us an idea of your poetry. Your book cover is black, so gives no indication of content. 
    Thanks. Yes there is, I'm busy expanding all my poems and also writing a book about our past, present and (according to me) what our future will look like when you take our past. I believe in a quote from A Lincoln " to forget your past is to repeat it". 
  • A suggestion. You might not believe it, but a cover is important even on a slim chapbook. Not only can it attract attention, it can help give people a first impression of what your work is like or what its themes may be. For instance, a solid black cover doesn’t go very far toward suggesting something designed “to uplift your spirit and give you energy to win the day and all your challenges.” Just the opposite, more likely.

Take a look at the chapbooks published by Bird LLC, a very small independent publisher. Most of these are in editions of only a few hundred. http://www.birdsllc.com/

Yours doesn’t have to be specially created as these were, but you should take some effort to find an image appropriate to your book, one that is not only attractive but also conveys some idea of what your poetry is about or what some of its themes might be.

PS
    You don’t need the quotation marks or period in the title.
    Done, Hopefully it is fine. Just one question, is the price right for a chapbook? I don't want to make it to expensive. 
    The cover is better in a lighter colour. I'm afraid I'm not into religion or the supernatural.  Good luck to you. 
  • Done, Hopefully it is fine. Just one question, is the price right for a chapbook? I don't want to make it to expensive.
    ============================
    I think you need to do more than simply change the color. That was only one of the points I was making. You need to incorporate an image or design that conveys something about the themes or nature of your poetry. Does your cover suggest that the contents of the book are meant to "to uplift your spirit and give you energy to win the day and all your challenges"? I would suggest that it does not.

Imagine someone seeing your book but without the blurb that accompanies it. What could they tell from the title alone?

Take a look at the covers at the Birds LLC site that I provided the link for. Here are a few other examples... 
    https://www.poetrysociety.org/psa/poetry/crossroads/on_poetry/covers/
    http://blog.pshares.org/index.php/books-by-their-covers-the-best-poetry-presses-by-design/

You don't need to do anything fancy. There are thousands of free images available online---even Lulu has a decent selection, I believe---so you should be able to find something appropriate. Of course, if you know someone, an artist friend perhaps, who would be willing to do something original that would be even better.

And speaking of blurbs, it is important to make sure that a blurb is letter-perfect. It is going to be the very first example of your writing anyone is going to see and you want to make sure that its grammar, spelling and punctuation are all correct. You might want to take a second look at yours.

I took a look at your preview. I don't think that you need to add "a poem by Gerhard Reyneke" to every poem. Your name is on the cover. I would also definitely add a title page and a copyright notice to your ebook.

Your price sounds fine to me.

PS
    The title on the cover does not need to be followed by a period.

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I published my chapbook on a pdf format. For courage and inspiration is the title, please support, review and comment on it.

I took a look. I have come along a bit late, I understand you have now changed the cover, but it is still far too, well, plain.

The cover also needs to be the first page of the PDF.

Does it not have a Title and Copyright page?

Somehow the poems could be to do with Lord of the Rings, or game of thrones, until the end few lines of each one, where it preaches god at me. Perhaps it should state in the blurb that they are Seen the Light poems?

PS: There are a few spelling mistakes, etc.

also writing a book about our past, present and (according to me) what our future will look like when you take our past

It will have a huge amount of competition.

is the price right for a chapbook? I don't want to make it to expensive. 

For so few pages it possibly is, but I have seen far more expensive ones with fewer pages!

But I would suggest, as it's an e-book, that to spread your name, make it free. But it is in serious need of a better cover.

It could simply be retitled, Poems for courage and inspiration

And to compliment Ron's link, here's another >> https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=poetry+book+covers&FORM=HDRSC2

Note that they don't have to be complex covers, they just need to draw attention and to say what is in them. But the generic backgrounds found in Lulu's Cover templates will not cut it, because 100s of not 1000s of people have already used them.

Personally, I have often thought there are not enough white covers around, and one would stick out like a ... I will not say sore thumb!

Ron and Kevin have given you some very good advice vikingboer that is well worth listening to. When I first joined Lulu in 2010 I was advised by Ron to get an editor. That was good advice. I asked my husband to be my editor. I like parts of the poems you have shown, but like Kevin said, there is that undertone of religion which spoils it for me. However your book will appeal to religious folk and may do what you want, which is to "lift their spirits." All the best!
    Reading them again, I see more spelling errors, but just who are they about? And what country is supposed to be?
    Good morning. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I think what I must do is to remove the chapbook from the store and review the whole book and address all the issues. Thanks for the advice. 
    edited November 19
    Well I hope you do put it back on Lulu and I'm sure it will "lift the spirits" of your readers. GOOD LUCK.
    PS You could just revise the copy you've started and upload a new cover and revised PDF file for a print version, or an EPUB for an ebook.

Poems for courage

and inspiration.

ISBN:

978-0-359-22284-1

© 2018 by
    Gerhard Reyneke

For those who had a rough time and need some inspiration.

To tackle any problems head on to succeed in life.

Is this fine for a title and copyright page?

Not really, there are actually the contents of three pages there, the second and third not having page titles. Your copyright is very basic, too.

These are just examples of the type of things seen on Copyright pages >>   https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/01/6-copyright-page-disclaimers-and-giving-credit/

• I have a book of poetry here on lulu.  Geez I never realized it may be hard to sell

What's your Spotlight page? It helps to have a signature so we can visit your shop.
  • Poems for courage

and inspiration.

ISBN:

978-0-359-22284-1

© 2018 by
    Gerhard Reyneke

For those who had a rough time and need some inspiration.

To tackle any problems head on to succeed in life.

Is this fine for a title and copyright page?
    The title page really should be a page to itself. And a dedication is usually also a separate page.

In the US at any rate, all you need for your copyright notice is what you have, so you are OK there.

What you might want to do, regarding formatting, is go to a bookstore or library and take a look at some traditionally published books and see what they look like.