We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Lulu's free ISBN number

LarikaLarika Bibliophile
edited November 2018 in General Discussions
For some of the books I have made on Lulu (where I have chosen global distribution) I have accepted Lulu's free ISBN number, which automatically makes Lulu my Publisher for distribution to sites like Amazon.
 My question is, have I given Lulu the publishing rights to my books  for life, or only  for a certain number of years? I believe traditional publishers have the rights until the book is out of print, but I presume it's different for POD publishers. I checked the Knowledge Base and I can't find the answer.

Comments

• We actually make no claim to the rights to your book ever.
    The 'Lulu Press' that appears as the imprint is a concession that has to be made when we buy the batches of ISBNs to give away.
    Here's the agreement that comes with using the ISBN - http://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/32002/lulu-isbn-agreement
    And here's the Content agreement from the Terms - http://www.lulu.com/about/legal#content
    Basically, we are the publisher, but we grant you all rights and ownership over the content. Its the only way we can provide free ISBNs while still ensuring you own your content.
    The bottom line is that we do not own or control you content. And we won't make decisions regarding the content without your express consent (leaving aside content that otherwise violates the Terms & Conditions).

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 2018
    Thank you Paul. My husband is still awaiting an answer from support as to why he can enter Lulu with his new email, having given me back mine, but can't access his account for the book he published here. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
  • Although Paul has told you what you need to know, I feel the need to clear up one of your points Liz.

For some of the books I have made on Lulu (where I have chosen global distribution) I have accepted Lulu's free ISBN number, which automatically makes Lulu my Publisher for distribution to sites like Amazon.

As Paul has said, Lulu are listed as the publisher in principle only because they obtain the ISBNs, and do the Dist. (Sounds like a dance.)

My question is, have I given Lulu the publishing rights to my books  for life, or only  for a certain number of years? I believe traditional publishers have the rights until the book is out of print,

Okay, this is the main point I mean. Traditional publishers are in charge of getting the printing of the books they publish done, which in theory could mean they are never out of print. Other than that it will depend on the contract one has with them.

but I presume it's different for POD publishers.

Lulu are not actually the publishers, we are :)

I checked the Knowledge Base and I can't find the answer.

This may cover it all >>   http://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/33495/lulu-faq#latest

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Thanks both. That's cleared things up.
  • The ISBN is an ID number that helps retailers buy the correct book. It identifies the size, format (like paperback), and the publisher. Paul is right, Lulu couldn't take their name off the record as publisher even if they wanted to.
      The ISBN and copyright are independent. You're free to have another company print and distribute the very same book at the same time. That'd be dumb, but I'm just saying you could. You'd just need a unique ISBN for each distributor.