Getting Frustrated - Can't Change Amazon Price

I released my book Awakening at a price on £1.99 for the eBook. When I released Surviving, book 2 of the series, I reduced the price of book 1 to free as an incentive. All outlets changed on schedule but Amazon stayed fixed. I tried again but no luck. I raised a ticket with Lulu who contacted Amazon and said the problem had sorted but no, the Amazon prize refused to budge. I contacted Amazon who said I needed to speak to Lulu so I did and STILL the price has not budged. This has been going on for 3 months now and it is very frustrating.

Comments

• Are you a member of Amazon Author Central? One of my book covers did not update a Revise on Amazon, and I mentioned it to Lulu Support, and they said they would look in to it. I heard nothing more and the email they send out is a noreply one (mutter.) I Logged in to my AAC account, told their Support, and it was fixed within days.
  • On our end, we can resend the information for your book (including the price update), but it eventually falls on Amazon to actually make the update. It's a symptom of the way Amazon handles distribution - they retain as much control over the process as they can.
    Kevin's advice might work, I would give that a try.
  • I've had great success with Amazon support. They have linked versions of my books together, added search tags, and fixed cover icons that for some reason weren't showing. They usually are very good to work with.
  • This is the reply I got from Amazon:

****************************************************************************
    I am sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused to you.

I would have gladly assisted you with your request, however, book's availability, price and all information that we display on Amazon is determined by the information we receive from your publisher. From Author central, we can not assist you with your request about the kinlde "Awakening - Book One of Petra's Story" price issue.

Please reach out to your publisher or the vendor distributing your books. Your publisher/vendor will need to create a request in Vendor Central to address any pricing issues, availability issues or metadata changes.

They can access Vendor Central here: https://vendorcentral.amazon.co.uk/st/vendor/public/contactusapp

I'm sorry we're unable to carry out your request, but I hope this information is helpful to you. 
    ****************************************************************************

I feel like I'm just going round in circles
  • I don't know what to tell you. I have one book that is listed at .99 on Amazon. I changed it months ago and it's still the same price. Only issue I've had with pricing. Not sure what to tell you. From I'm told Amazon can price things whatever they want to. But you'd still get whatever profit margin you set. That is my experience so far.

• How about if I take it down altogether and then relist it? A pain in the proverbial but it could work. I really hate not being able to pick up the phone and just talk with someone. Things like this can probably be sorted with a 2 minute discussion rather than relying on emails that can be misinterpreted, but that's the world we live in.
  • You could try a Revise, all the way through without changing anything, then buy and Approve another Proof.
  • I tried that and waited 4 weeks but nothing happened. The strange thing is that I sold 4 last month but got no revenue from them as if they were already free but just not showing on the Amazon website
  • You are between a rock and a hard place. I would have suggested that you unpublish the books and then republish them but do not select Amazon as one of the distribution channels and then publish them directly on KDP. However, you would not be able to make the book permanently free on KDP if you did that.

Kevin - this is an ebook being discussed, so no proof purchase is necessary.

• Well, don't buy another Proof then.
  • I have the same problem. I changed the price of one book. I moved it up a euro because i was only getting 2 cent when it sold. That was two or three months ago and it still has not changed. 

• Ok, so here's a thing - I was going to remove it from Amazon and then re-add with the new price but I thought I'd download the manuscript and check it. I noticed that all the chapters were Heading 1. The last book I released was rejected first time because Amazon have changed their requirements so that the chapters have to be Heading 2. Coincidence? I'm going to reformat the manuscript and try again.
  • Hrmm. since when have Amazon had that requirement? I use KDP and they request HS 1.
  • Thinking back, I don't think it was an Amazon requirement. It was Lulu that refused to convert my docx files into epub until I had changed all HS1 to HS2.
  • Thinking back, I don't think it was an Amazon requirement. It was Lulu that refused to convert my docx files into epub until I had changed all HS1 to HS2.
    That's not accurate.
    We require that Heading styles run sequentially (you can't nest an H3 under an H1) and we require that the title be in Heading Style 1.
    Those requirements are the same as any other ebook retailer, including Amazon.
  • I that case I am completely at a loss as to why I changed all my manuscripts to HS2 for chapter headings.
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    I have given up changing price. I contacted Lulu twice about this but the price did not change on Amazon. I went through the normal procedure on my projects and although that worked, my Amazon prices remained the same.
  • ChrisDevineChrisDevine Creator
    edited November 2018
    I contacted Amazon on a different issue yesterday and their response directly contradicted what I was seeing so I wondered if the fault lay with me. So I logged on to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk in my normal browser session and InPrivate session. I found the prices in all 4 sessions differed. The US InPrivate session showed Awakening as free yet the normal UK InPrivate did not and neither did either normal session. Also, all my other books showed a lower price in the InPrivate session (see attachment). I've tried using different laptops, clearing my cache, deleting cookies, using Chrome instead of Edge, heck I even tried good old IE but they all yielded the same results. Thoughts?
  • I contacted Amazon on a different issue yesterday and their response directly contradicted what I was seeing so I wondered if the fault lay with me. So I logged on to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk in my normal browser session and InPrivate session. I found the prices in all 4 sessions differed. The US InPrivate session showed Awakening as free yet the normal UK InPrivate did not and neither did either normal session. Also, all my other books showed a lower price in the InPrivate session (see attachment). I've tried using different laptops, clearing my cache, deleting cookies, using Chrome instead of Edge, heck I even tried good old IE but they all yielded the same results. Thoughts?
    I was not able to replicate what you are seeing in the screenshot. I show the same price using chrome and incognito mode for Amazon.com, and Amazon UK.
    I checked Archer's Paradox, and Full Circle on both sites, in a normal browsing session and incognito.
    However, I did not log onto my Amazon account. I browsed as a customer would. Can you replicate the issue without being logged in?

To the larger issue at hand with Amazon (and our other retailers) pricing:

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things about Amazon and our retailers in general when it comes to pricing.

Our retailers ultimately choose the price that they wish to set on their site as well as if they wish to offer a discount. Any discount comes out of their retailer share.

However, as the author, you will still get paid the same.

This is outlined in our GlobalReach Agreement which can be found here:

• Hi Taylor. Yes, it does not matter if I am logged or not or my location. For example, I am currently on my work laptop in a Best Western hotel in Norwich and I am still seeing the same results I did on my personal laptop in Yorkshire. I have decided than I am actually living in the third parallel dimension which operates under a totally different set of physical principals to the rest of the universe. 
  • It's just a thought, but is it possible you are seeing cached pages rather than always seeing the latest updates to pages? Cached pages are often shown so that a previously visited page loads up faster. They could be stored on your PC, on your ISP's servers, or even in one of those 'Speed up the internet' tools. Browsers can be set to always store visited pages. They can also be set, strangely, to never update them! They can also be set to delete them when the browser is closed. That's what mine does, along with certain types of cookies.
  • It's just a thought, but is it possible you are seeing cached pages rather than always seeing the latest updates to pages?
    I've tried reloading the pages with [Ctrl]+[F5] and deleting cached pages in Settings. 

Another odd behaviour is that my second 'Petra book' - Surviving, does not appear in Amazon.com when I search on my name yet it does on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon cannot replicate the problem. They insist that they can see all my books. They even sent me a link to prove it and guess what, I could not see Surviving in the list.
  • Very peculiar.

Amazon Help seem to do as little as possible, perhaps to save time. When I told them a revision to a cover had not updated, they said, but the cover is there, I said it's not the right one, take a look in the Preview, that's the right cover! And not long after, it was fixed.

• Hi Kevin. No, they are all there in that view but on amazon.com, the search https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chris+devine shows only 5 books, amongst the unrelated stuff. Surviving is missing from the list, but the same search on Amazon.co.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chris+devine shows all 6 books.