We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Lulu Support As I Perceive

I write this to draw the attention of Lulu bosses.

1 A few of my support requests are pending for a while. It disables the author's effort to go through his own decision making through the publishing process.

2 One important issue right now concerns my order for three copies of my book. I had requested a hold a couple of days back so that it could be fulfilled with print files from a revision I had planned a few hours later.

3 I uploaded the revised file. And now in managing my distribution, I am still held at "Buy A Proof Copy." How many am I supposed to buy ? How much does Lulu want me spend before I gain access to further the publishing process ?

Right now, I am just feeling harassed by the unresponsiveness of support and the systemic inflexibilities.

Please help now. Thank you.

Comments

• Vam said:

1 A few of my support requests are pending for a while. It disables the author's effort to go through his own decision making through the publishing process.

Hi Vam,
    I'm looking at your case history now and I see 1 case opened on the 25th and 2 on the 26th, all three of which were responded to on the 26th. I also see 4 cases you opened over the weekend.
    We let our support team have weekends off. Its a trade off we make to ensure we can hire skilled and capable support staff rather than using a call center or out sourcing. It does mean that a case opened over the weekend may not get a response until Monday or Tuesday.
    Vam said:

2 One important issue right now concerns my order for three copies of my book. I had requested a hold a couple of days back so that it could be fulfilled with print files from a revision I had planned a few hours later.
    Unfortunately, once an order is placed, we can only provide 1 hour to make updates or changes. Once that hour is up, we send the request to our printers and they start working on the book, using the file present when the order was placed.
    Vam said:

3 I uploaded the revised file. And now in managing my distribution, I am still held at "Buy A Proof Copy." How many am I supposed to buy ? How much does Lulu want me spend before I gain access to further the publishing process ?
    Our distribution partners (Amazon and Ingram) require that you view and approve the book before they will review it for their retail sites. That's not a factor of the distribution process we have any control over. While it is vital to review a book with major changes, I get how it can be frustrating to make a small change and have to order another proof to review.
    Vam said:

Right now, I am just feeling harassed by the unresponsiveness of support and the systemic inflexibilities.

Please help now. Thank you.
    It may take a day or even two for your email ticket to receive a response, but we do offer live chat support on our site and phone support. I'm sure our support team will be happy to assist you.
  • VamVam Reader
    Hi Paul,

I have a need for my order of books to print from the most recent files. Printing has not started and the files are in place.

Would you kindly ensure that and remove that stopper to my going further into the distribution process ?

If you cannot, please let me know asap.
    I would gladly forego my 32 odd dollars loss, as my cost of learning, and move out of your platform altogether.

Thank you.
  • Hi Vam,
    I don't have the ability to make changes to your order or project status. That will have to come from our support team.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Although Paul has replied, I feel I must also.

As the Suggest section has proven over many years, Lulu does not take much notice of a single person, which is understandable. 1,000s of people use Lulu daily.

No one can really expect an instant reply from Support because you will be placed in a queue of 100s of other people requesting help. And as Paul said, Lulu staff do not work weekends, or 24/7.  They are also in a single time zone of 24.

It is all done by software, this is POD. Lulu also do not own the printers. As Paul has said, due to that, you cannot put a 'hold' on the books after 1 hour, they are already in the 'mill.'

3 I uploaded the revised file. And now in managing my distribution, I am still held at "Buy A Proof Copy." How many am I supposed to buy ? How much does Lulu want me spend

Yes, it can be annoying that a Proof has to be bought even after a small Revision, I am sure that was not always he case, but how do you expect Lulu to function if it does not have an income? It's free to publish, but not free to enter into Distribution.

before I gain access to further the publishing process ?

You only have to buy Proofs to take full advantage of the free ISBNs and Distribution. That's not publishing. The creation of a book is Publishing, and, anyway, even if you do not buy a Proof to Approve, the latest versions will still be placed, for free, on to your Lulu Storefront, quite fast, so it will still be placed for sale or for you to buy. Your 'problem' is, that for some reason you ordered some books, then Revised them. The fault is not Lulu's.

You are not Lulu's only customer, and your Revisions will not be updated on other sites for up to 8 weeks anyway, even when you do buy and Approve a book.