We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

E-Books - ePub? PDF?

When asking about e-books, please note that you can create two kinds at Lulu. PDF or ePub.

Please state if you mean an ePub or a PDF, because the files you need to create for them are very different.

Comments

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    The PDF is only for Lulu. If you want Amazon etc.you must have an epub. 
    I made a books with lots of photos and text. I wanted to make it into an ebook, but in the end had to construct a PDF because of the programmes I have on my computer. I would have had to take each individual photo (and there are lots) and change them in another programme, then put the whole thing back together. ahhhhh. so I made a PDF file - no problems. It's now on Lulu but on no other sites.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The PDF is only for Lulu. If you want Amazon etc.you must have an epub. 

Yes, that's true, but how the 'pages' files are created for both are very different, so it can possibly confuse people when they are asking about things like page numbers and headers and footers, to be told they do not have them, or much else in the way of formatting. But PDFs can have them! It's ePubs that do not have much in the way of 'traditional' book formatting. People do need to state which kind of e-book they mean.

I made a books with lots of photos and text. I wanted to make it into an ebook, but in the end had to construct a PDF because of the programmes I have on my computer.

Which are? I use MS Word and Adobe Paintshop Pro 95. ( although the 95 means from 1995! And I don't thing it was an Adobe prog then!)

I would have had to take each individual photo (and there are lots) and change them in another programme, then put the whole thing back together.

Well, yes, that's the usual way to do it, regardless of what type of book you are creating for. Images need to be tailored to fit the page or frame they are to go on to. Ones for ePubs often have to be a certain DPI also. Often a very low one!

ahhhhh. so I made a PDF file - no problems. It's now on Lulu but on no other sites.

The good thing about PDF files, is they are often formatted exactly like as for a printed book, so the files for a printed book can be used for a PDF book. I expect it's because a PDF can be printed out to create a 'book' (and do not forget that when it comes to Copyright.)

My son put Word on my computer but when I updated to Windows 7 I lost it.(My son has moved to California) I got 2 free writers (Open Office and WPS Writer) and worked in those programmes and Microsoft Publisher. (My Dragon works better in Microsoft Publisher.)
    Open Office will Save As docx and PDF I think. WPS and Publisher will not and are not suitable for creating files for Lulu I would have thought?
  • Open Office or Libre Office are my favorite MS Word alternatives. WPS writer is one i would shy away from, unless they've made some major changes in the past few years. I find their formatting to be subpar and cumbersome.
    Microsoft Publisher is one I don't have a lot of experience with, but it can produce PDF files that will print just fine.
    My wife used to use Publisher for school work, but I was not keen on it, and stuck with Word, which does almost all one needs to do, and easily, to create the files for a book.
    I couldn't have run my card business if I hadn't had Microsoft Publisher. I started the business after I'd retired from teaching. (All the paintings you saw Kevin in my Epilogue Gallery, were used for my fantasy card collection.) Unfortunately there were no computers around when I was teaching, but I have no doubt that I too would have used MP for school work. Paul I have downloaded Libre Office. Thanks.

Ah, MS Word has many inbuilt templates, and many that can be downloaded also. If you click on New, there's dozens of template folders, one of which is Cards, with 85 editable card templates. It has quite a number of tools in Word that not many people realise are there. And there's 1000s on line.

https://poweredtemplate.com/word-templates/free/0/index.html

The main handicap is owning a printer that card can be bunged in to.

Yes, I think Word is a good programme but it's so expensive!   

Nah, it's cheap, have you seen the price of things like InDesign? That you can't even buy nowadays. It's so much a month, for ever! Some on here actually use it!

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/indesign.html#idccPlansModal

And I think Office and Word is the same now, but cheaper. Although you can buy Word as a one off download also.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/compare-all-microsoft-office-products-b?tab=1&OCID=AID737190_SEM_dq2rtnWM&msclkid=038a630436361209a2ba38de545b258e 

Yes not a bad offer on Word, but I'm managing with Open Office, Libre Office and WPS Writer and of course my beloved Microsoft Publisher!