We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Paper size for ebook?

LibbyLibby Reader
What are the paper size required for the ebook? 8x11 or 6x9?

Comments

• There is no size requirement for an ebook, the text will flow and resize based on the reader's screen size
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

When I am creating a docx file for one, I use Word's default A4 (UK :) ) which also has narrow margins. I have no idea how it does it, but the Convertor somehow turns just the text in to data, the page size you upload is 'meaningless,' and then it works within the ePub just as Paul has said.

BTW. If you mean a PDF e-book, then page size is up to you because PDFs do use actual pages, and they are formatted exactly the same way as a printed book.

• MCWritingMCWriting Creator
    edited October 29
    The converter reads only the text in your manuscript, and does its best to interpret your styling, such as size, italics, and such. Anything outside the main text area, such as text in headers and page numbers in footers, is ignored.
       You can help Lulu's converter get it right by following their formatting guidelines. Lots of good tips in there.

Anything outside the main text area, such as text in headers and page numbers in footers, is ignored.

It's always best to not include them in the first place. docx pages for conversion (via Lulu's Wizard) to an ePub are actually very simple. More or less blank, but for what normally goes between the default margins.

Lulu's ePub help files seem a bit mixed up. There's Help on creating for a printed book in there. There's also advice such as ePubs do not support Endnotes and Footnotes, then it tells you how to add them!

• Lulu's ePub help files seem a bit mixed up. There's Help on creating for a printed book in there. There's also advice such as ePubs do not support Endnotes and Footnotes, then it tells you how to add them!

Do you meant the Guide (found here) or the individual articles in the ebook category? The Guide should be up to date, but there's a chance content in some of the categories is a bit older. I've been putting off slogging through them all in hopes that we'll install a new convert sooner and I can just rewrite them entirely.
  • ePubs do support footnotes and endnotes, although they don't appear at the bottom of each page. They'll show at the end of each chapter or in a separate appendix. I think the Lulu guide is explaining that their ePub converter doesn't create them automatically from an original manuscript unless it is formatted properly.
  • I believe it's pretty standard for EPUB to convert all notes to endnotes and the link superscript will direct to a separate 'page' that has a breadcrumb link page to the original location. That's how I've always set them up anyway.

Do you meant the Guide (found here) or the individual articles in the ebook category? The Guide should be up to date, but there's a chance content in some of the categories is a bit older. I've been putting off slogging through them all in hopes that we'll install a new convert sooner and I can just rewrite them entirely.

Right now I cannot actually recall exactly what page (I use to have links to them all, but then all the addresses changed!) but it was definitely in the ePub section. It took me quite a while to find the exact info I was after! It looked to me as if it had been created from an edited page to do with printed books, but not all the instructions for a printed book had been removed.

Some Help in all sections do go back many years and don't seem to have kept up with things (and at times Search cannot find things in Help even when you know they exist!)  But you are right, there are 100s if not 1000s of pages, and it would take years to read and update them all. Good hunting!

• With a huge portion of the helps pages becoming invalid over the next 12-18 months as we update the publishing wizard, we'll be going through them with a fine tooth comb. And by 'we' I mostly mean 'me.'
    So don't hesitate to point out inconsistencies, I will undoubtedly miss somethings.
    Older URLs should  link to the corresponding updated article, though I know there were some that we couldn't redirect properly because the content no longer existed. One more reason for a full on house cleaning.
    Well you should insist that the other 61 employees help you :)
  • LibbyLibby Reader
    edited November 14
    [Unnamed] ebook worked fine until I tried uploading the 2nd ebook for [ACNTT] but I had trouble with this one. So, I went back in to download the [Unnamed ebook] as to compare with the formatting and headings in the ACNTT. Then I uploaded the ACNTT, it seemed to work but it's still rejected however when I tried uploading the [Unnamed ebook] - problems ensued in spite of preserving its original formatting to the best I could. 

What is the problem?

Never mind - I found the source of the problem. Thanks for helping out though.