We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

EPUB Conversion Help

Comments

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher
    edited December 2018
    Well now I'm having problems. I just revised two ebooks last night no problems whatsoever. I did use the same doc file that was uploaded. I just tried to do a third book and keep getting "unknown" error message even though it's the same file that is already uploaded. Worked fine yesterday but not now. Going to try again later. Update: I tried converting a copy of the doc into ODT and uploaded that. Got an error that there were no chapter headings. Saved the file again with Word 2010 style. Back to unknown error. I'll wait till tomorrow and try again.
  • I've tried again with a different book and it worked fine. It's just this one certain book that isn't working. But it's strange as it's a file that has been uploaded long ago. I only uploaded a new cover and nothing else.
  • This is the nature of the problem and why we opted to update the converter entirely. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind why some DOCX files convert and others will not.
    The issue with DOCX to ODT not recognizing heading styles is one I've seen as well, but not one I have a good solution for. It seems that ODT doesn't recognize the way DOCX files list their H1/H2/H3 and will list them as such in the document, but the file doesn't retain the data.
    One thing you can test, which worked in one case I've seen so far, would be to delete the revision and open a new one. That hasn't universally worked, but it may be worth a shot.
  • I'm no stranger to XML code and I've added a 9th line with the code above to add the required date. I'm then clicking save and then Save everything to disk from the main menu. I can even see Published Dec 2018 on the list of books in the program.
    Lines 8 & 9:
        <dc:date>2018-12-18T13:00:00+00:00</dc:date>
        <dc:date opf:event="publication">2018-12-18</dc:date>

However, when I go to upload I get the same "Unable to locate a valid publication date.  A date with the event attribute publication (opf:event=publication) is required" error each time. When I go back in to open the content.opf file, my entry has been wiped and replaced with the line above it. So afterward, I'm seeing on lines 8 and 9 below:

What am I doing wrong? I even close out content.opf and reopen it again and my updated line is still there. It is not until I save from the main menu that it is getting cleared. 
  • Hmm, I'm not sure on that one. I'm going to send you a private message, can you respond with the EPUB you have so I can look directly at that code?
  • TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher
    edited December 2018
    I deleted the revision about four times as well as uploading a copy of the file that is the exact same one that is in the original file. Still won't work. Going to try again today sometime. I also have a request. Is there anyway that lulu could set it up so we can add keywords to our books on Amazon? Unless you are a member of KDP they won't do that for the most part. I have had some luck getting Amazon support to do that. But one out of five requests get turned down. Without those key words our books won't get found during searches.
  • We're working on the keyword thing. Not sure when that will materialize or if they'll actually let us, but we do have someone working on it.
  • I usually use Author Central support and four out of five times they do it for me. But occasionally I get one that says they can't do it. So it depends on who gets my request. When they turn it down I just resend it and someone else gets it and adds them.
  • I couldn't get the revision thing to work using the Word Doc. But I did download the epub file and use that to upload and it worked. So got it working using that workaround. Thanks Paul!
  • As of 10/18 Calibre still doesn't support the "opf:event" because it isn't required by the ePub standard. I'm guessing that's why Calibre is "correcting" your edit. As eBook designers we've encountered some ePub version 2 validators which add rules like these, so we must create custom code like you did, Jon, to satisfy them. Not sure you can fix that in Calibre directly. You might need to edit the content.opf document from within the ePub. Let Paul have a look first, but message me if you're still stuck.
  • Not that I have as yet tried it, this Word add-on may be useful >>

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/word-to-epub-converter/9nr7rm5fv3sx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

It does not seem to be actually by MS, though, it's just on their 'app' store (free though.) And you need Windows 10.

• Here are my error comments after completing the instructions. I'm at a loss.
    FATAL: Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1): Unable to parse OPF file: The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.
    FATAL(RSC-016): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(21,18): Fatal Error while parsing file 'The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.'.
    ERROR(RSC-005): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(-1,-1): Error while parsing file 'The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.'.
    ERROR(OPF-030): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(-1,-1): The unique-identifier 'BookId' was not found.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-1.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-2.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-3.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-4.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/cover.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/css/book.css' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/epb.ncx' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/images/hitchedandhappy_frontcover_final.png' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/js/book.js' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/toc.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Gosh. There must be an ePub creator that you don't have to act like a coder with! Docx in > ePub out. Just as Lulu's once did. I can find many sites on line that boast to do it, but would the results work at Lulu?
  • Amazon emailed me a link for a Kindle creator. Worked like a charm. But of course we can't use those here so it doesn't help much.
    Amazon emailed me a link for a Kindle creator. Worked like a charm. But of course we can't use those here so it doesn't help much.

No, you cannot. I have not tried it yet, is it directly linked to KDP? (Like Blurb's off-line tool is linked to them) or will it allow you to save the Mobi to your PC? If so then there are tools that will turn a Mobi in to an ePub.

Here's one >>  https://www.ebookconverter.com/mobi-to-epub-converter/
    FATAL: Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1): Unable to parse OPF file: The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.
    FATAL(RSC-016): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(21,18): Fatal Error while parsing file 'The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.'.
    ERROR(RSC-005): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(-1,-1): Error while parsing file 'The prefix "dc" for element "dc:identifier" is not bound.'.
    ERROR(OPF-030): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub/OPS/epb.opf(-1,-1): The unique-identifier 'BookId' was not found.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-1.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-2.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-3.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/chapter-4.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/cover.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/css/book.css' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/epb.ncx' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/images/hitchedandhappy_frontcover_final.png' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/js/book.js' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.
    WARNING(OPF-003): Hitched__Happy_-_Allyson_Harris.epub(-1,-1): Item 'OPS/toc.xhtml' exists in the EPUB, but is not declared in the OPF manifest.

Can no one help with this? I've spent at least 10 hours trying to upload a file. I've tried it on a Mac and a pc. I've done the calibre and the ode workarounds. I don't know what else to do.
    Wait until the ePub Project Wizard is mended or replaced as I am doing? The latter should be happening soon. I hope!
    Is the new ePub Wizard up and running now?

The majority of these are files not listed in your table of contents.
    The best solution would be to go back to your Word file and correct the formatting, then convert to an EPUB using Calibre. If you've got a Word file that we could convert to EPUB, Calibre can do the conversion with only the minor edits I listed at the start of this thread.
    If you're interested in editing the EPUB, the first step would be to use the Tools > Create Table of Contents and establish the correct items in your ToC.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Hello Alison. In the message I sent you I asked if you were making an ebook of your interesting book "Hitched and Happy". I see that you are trying to make an acceptable ePub. I hope you succeed. If you follow what Paul suggests I'm sure you'll do it. Good luck. I'll watch out for your eBook.
  • AuntySocialiteAuntySocialite Llareggub, Wales, UK Writer
    I'm asking because due to my disability I cannot cope with another nine hours at the computer today. Trying to upload corrected epub - Lulu won't accept my ODT so converted it in Calibre - so I can change access, but I am getting this error message:

ERROR(RSC-005): GORGON_VILLA.epub/content.opf(11,5): Error while parsing file 'text not allowed here; expected element "dc:contributor", "dc:coverage", "dc:creator", "dc:date", "dc:description", "dc:format", "dc:identifier", "dc:language", "dc:publisher", "dc:relation", "dc:rights", "dc:source", "dc:subject", "dc:title", "dc:type" or "meta" or an element from another namespace'.

Thanks in advance for any help! Hope yall are having a good one.

PS Does anyone know where I can download a new brain?

'A dog judges others not by their colour or creed or class, but by who they are inside.'

• The errors are due to a lack of metadata. Here are some screen grabs from Calibre to help:

This is the Calibre home screen. The 'Edit Metadata' button will allow you to add and edit your metadata, and using the 'Edit Book' button you can see where the metadata should be placed.

Here is the 'Edit Book' screen, with the metadata (<dc:>) information listed in the content.opf file.

And here is the 'Edit Metadata' screen with the metadata fields.
    On a separate note, we've had no indication that ODT files are suffering from the same issues DOCX files have been having, so it's likely there's a formatting issue with the ODT file that could be corrected to allow that file to convert directly.
  • AuntySocialiteAuntySocialite Llareggub, Wales, UK Writer
    Thank you very much, Paul - it's sorted now, though another problem has arisen which I'll search on the forums for assistance with - have a great day
    'A dog judges others not by their colour or creed or class, but by who they are inside.'

• ArtzeninArtzenin USA - Kentucky Reader
    John Ray said: I'm no stranger to XML code and I've added a 9th line with the code above to add the required date. I'm then clicking save and then Save everything to disk from the main menu. I can even see Published Dec 2018 on the list of books in the program.
    Lines 8 & 9:
        <dc:date opf:event="publication">2018-12-18</dc:date>

However, when I go to upload I get the same "Unable to locate a valid publication date.  A date with the event attribute publication (opf:event=publication) is required" error each time. When I go back in to open the content.opf file, my entry has been wiped and replaced with the line above it. So afterward, I'm seeing on lines 8 and 9 below:

What am I doing wrong? I even close out content.opf and reopen it again and my updated line is still there. It is not until I save from the main menu that it is getting cleared. 

I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out why it was doing this? Nothing I do helps, and Support directs me here. Where you had the exact same issue, I am hoping you have discovered a way around it or  can direct me to a solution.
  • Hi Artzenin,
    I think with Jon's I ended up testing the file and when I saved it retained the date line. This leads me to believe there might be a setting in Calibre that is impacting the save function.
    The first thing to do would be to click 'edit metadata' and be sure the date and publication date lines are filled. Then add the line in the content.opf. Then save and try uploading.
    If that still fails, send me a private message with the EPUB file and I'll test it directly.
  • ArtzeninArtzenin USA - Kentucky Reader
    Thank you. Support also replied to me, and if what they suggest doesn't work, I will do what  you have suggested, and send  you a private message with a file. Thank you for your time, hard work and dedication to the Lulu community forum. Have a blessed day/night.  :)
  • Paul could you show how to add the line in Calibre. I see how to edit the metadata but not how to add the line.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Thank goodness for Paul. Even support are sending people to him. THANKS PAUL.
  • Here's the screen capture:

The code you're adding looks like this:

<dc:date opf:event="publication">2018-10-19</dc:date>
    So you'll want to start by adding the metadata information on the Edit Metadata tab. Then open the Edit tab (far right, some screens may clip it off so you'll need to expand to see it), and open the Content.opf.
    The added code needs to be in the <dc> section of code (this signifies metadata for the epub) and I like to keep it right above or below the existing date line.

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    Paul, after giving up with the doc x file, I downloaded Calibre and converted to epub. I followed your instructions on an earlier post and fixed problems by adding date on megadata. I now get this error.
    ERROR: Beauty_Beyond_Death_PB_2019_-_Anthony_Hulse.epub(-1): Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt
    All Greek to me. Yes, I saw you suggested removing bookmarks, but not being familiar with Calibre, I'm unable to locate them. Pulling out what hair I have left.