We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

EPUB Conversion Help

Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin
edited October 19 in eBooks
Hey all,
We're aware of the issue with EPUB conversion in our ebook wizard and we're working on getting it corrected.
In the meantime, we're suggesting creating and uploading an EPUB direct. Calibre is our choice of software, but anything that can produce an EPUB 2 can work.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, so post your questions and I'll do my best to assist. If you're experienced with creating EPUB 2 files that our system can validate, please feel free to chime in and offer your services too.
We're working on a solution as quickly as we can.
Tagged:

Comments

• Here's an example of a Calibre based work around.
    If you have a DOCX or other text based file that was working but is now failing, you can add that file to Calibre and convert to EPUB

With an EPUB made, check the Metadata and update the Title, Author, Date, Publication Date, and Publisher fields:

Make sure to enter accurate Metadata in all these fields. For the Publisher, you should enter the Imprint used for your ISBN. If you are using a Lulu ISBN, enter 'Lulu.com'.
    Now, if you saved this EPUB and uploaded to Lulu, you would see this error message:
    Unable to locate a valid publication date.  A date with the event attribute publication (opf:event=publication) is required
    To fix this, you'll need to add the Publication Date to the EPUB's content file. Calibre and other EPUB creation tools do not require this, but our distribution partners do, so our converter looks for the publication date code is necessary.
    Back in Calibre, click the Edit Book button:

This will open a code viewer. From the left panel, scroll down and select the 'content.opf' file. With this code open, you'll need to make a new line below the current date code and paste in this publication date:

<dc:date opf:event="publication">2018-10-19</dc:date>
    Of course, use the current date (I have 10/19/2018 in the example).
    Here's what it will look like in the Code view:

Line 9 has the code I've pasted in.
    Now Save and from the main Calibre menu, Save the EPUB to your computer. This EPUB file should upload without issue and convert in our system.
    Remember, this covers Word DOCX files and other text files you've previously uploaded.

If you see a different error message, please paste in or attach the error TXT file in a new comment and I'll help trouble shoot the problem.

• We've identified a second work around for anyone uploading a DOCX file. Open this file in Microsoft Word and convert to ODT.
    If the file is otherwise acceptable for EPUB conversion (proper Heading Styles, Images placed correctly, no nested lists, etc) there is a very good likelihood that it will convert to EPUB.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    What do you mean by this?  "upload an EPUB directly to our system. " Directly to where exactly? (Not that I have anything to upload right now!)
  • The same way you would upload any file for a book. When you upload an EPUB rather than a DOCX, we only validate the file, there is no conversion
  • Hi, I just uploaded my ePub which seems fine when I checked it but got the following error message: 

Your EPUB contains errors that must be addressed before you can proceed. Details...

The following issues can affect your EPUB's eligibility for the iBookstore:

• Failed validation. Please contact support for more information.

Download this file to review warning and error messages generated during validation: EPUB Results for 21241089.

Note: This file is intended for advanced users. It will tell you exactly what problems our validation tools found in your EPUB. If you are unsure what a particular error or warning means, you can try a Google search or ask for help in our forums. If you need to find this later, we will keep it in your account's My Files for at least 21 days.

At this time, our EPUB validation tools can only provide log results in English.

• Never mind I think I know what I did wrong.
  • Ok, fixed the previous issue now this is what appears in the Error File:

"ERROR(RSC-005): Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub/index_split_049.html(22,33): Error while parsing file 'attribute "value" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"'.
    ERROR: Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub(-1): Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt"
  • And this:

"Your EPUB contains errors that must be addressed before you can proceed. Details...

The following issues can affect your EPUB's eligibility for the iBookstore:

• Failed validation. Please contact support for more information.

Download this file to review warning and error messages generated during validation: EPUB Results for 21241089.

Note: This file is intended for advanced users. It will tell you exactly what problems our validation tools found in your EPUB. If you are unsure what a particular error or warning means, you can try a Google search or ask for help in our forums. If you need to find this later, we will keep it in your account's My Files for at least 21 days.

At this time, our EPUB validation tools can only provide log results in English."

• Ok I managed to get rid of the other errors. This one is left. I've been through the code and can't see what it could be.

"ERROR(RSC-005): Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub/index_split_049.html(22,33): Error while parsing file 'attribute "value" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"'."
  • I corrected a spelling error which was generated and now I'm back to this. I have no idea what the problem is. 

"ERROR(RSC-005): Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub/index_split_049.html(22,33): Error while parsing file 'attribute "value" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"'.
    ERROR: Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub(-1): Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt"
  • ERROR: Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub(-1): Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt
  • KittyHundalKittyHundal Reader
    edited October 20
    Well, after all of that I finally got it process. Lol. Just ignore all of these posts. TY. You need a delete option here.
  • Haha, well glad you got it sorted. I'm actually inclined to leave the posts in case anyone else comes across the error.

While Calibre is great for making EPUBs, our system checks against some pretty outdated syntax that can make errors where there shouldnt be any problems.

The same way you would upload any file for a book. When you upload an EPUB rather than a DOCX, we only validate the file, there is no conversion

Ah, so you mean to a Project Wizard. I thought you meant it ain't working.

• modene1modene1 Istanbul, Turkey Reader
    Hi Paul,
    I've resolved the date issue, but it doesn't seem to like the MS Word numbered list "continue from last number" portions. I don't know how to resolve these.

Thanks
    Mark  :)
  • Hi Mark,

EPUBs struggle with numbered lists. I generally just un-list them and make each item an individual line with the number added.
  • I converted my docx through Calibre. I got the error message about Unable to locate a valid publication date. Followed your directions above and still getting that message along with this one: Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt
    Thanks for your help.
  • If you open the file in Calibre, there may be a file/folder that is titled 'bookmarks'. I believe that has to be removed. Otherwise, the ebook would have the bookmarked locations when a reader downloads the file.
    I would save a test version of the epub and delete any 'bookmarks' files, then try the upload again. If that doesn't work, let me know!
  • "Persecution_Games_Book_One_of_From_the_Shadows_thectionalized_memoirs_of_Kitty_Hundal_-_Kitty_Hundal.epub/index_split_049.html(22,33)"

Kitty (and others), if you get an error like that and you're able to crack open your ePub, you can go straight to the problem and learn what's bugging you. You'll see the file name followed by a number (here, /index_split_049.html(22,33). Open that HTML file in any text editor (I use BBEdit) and use the numbers to navigate. In this case, line 22, 33 characters from the left. Usually you'll at least get a great idea where to look for the problem.

Regarding Calibre's "unmanifested file" problem, another option is to open your "content.opf" file in your ePub and just add the offending bookmark.txt file to the manifest. Again, use a text editor, and always work on a copy. You can find the manifest area, and just copy the format used for other files in the ePub. The order doesn't matter.

We're well-versed in ePub 2.0 and are happy to help any Lulu customer directly.
    But when will the docx to ePub Convertor be sorted out?
    There are many convertors on line, but there's no gaurentee the results will work on Lulu. Here's just one example (not that I have tried it) >>>  https://www.helpndoc.com/step-by-step-guides/how-convert-word-docx-file-epub-or-kindle-ebook
  • But when will the docx to ePub Convertor be sorted out?
    Not entirely sure. We're only seeing a small uptick in failures that should convert, so pinning down the cause has been a challenge.
  • cgagecgage Writer
    I'm on deadline for a marketing thing to publish my ePUB book... and I am unable to get it to convert a Word document. Also cannot get it to convert an ODT document. Cannot figure out Calibre workaround... Help! 
    Here's an interesting one for you. If a MOBI is converted to an ePub, do you think It would be accepted by Lulu's ePub Wizard?
  • cgage said:
    I'm on deadline for a marketing thing to publish my ePUB book... and I am unable to get it to convert a Word document. Also cannot get it to convert an ODT document. Cannot figure out Calibre workaround... Help! 
    Hi cgage,
    Looking at the error log, there appears to be a couple of value attributes that don't align correctly. Unfortunately, we can't trouble shoot that without seeing the file itself.
    If you want to send me a private message and attach your EPUB file, I might be able to sort out the issue.

Here's an interesting one for you. If a MOBI is converted to an ePub, do you think It would be accepted by Lulu's ePub Wizard?
    I've tested this successfully using Calibre. It did require finessing the EPUB a bit, but it worked.
  • cgage said:
    If you get in trouble, we can promise you a 48-hour ePub delivery guaranteed to work with Lulu's eBook requirements. Learn more at https://mcwriting.com/ebook-design/  You can skip the conversion altogether and just upload your finished eBook. We can help with that part too — we work with Lulu a lot.
  • davidRoddisdavidRoddis Toronto, Canada Writer
    Hi, this is very helpful, I'd decided on my own to try creating an ePUB for upload, so glad I'm on the right track.

I note that you're using the Calibre e-book management app for the conversion.  There is another, additional app that downloads with the full Calibre pack, the e-book editor.  Although it's a little geeky and not totally intuitive, it does have a built-in validation tool that you can run that tells you what's not working (for example, it prompted me to remove that bookmarks file that others have struggled with) which ensures that there are no issues.  I will add that I haven't uploaded the file yet, so I may eat my words shortly. Will let you know how it goes.

David Roddis
    "From the moment I picked up your book until I put it down I was convulsed with laughter.  Next time I intend reading it."       —Groucho Marx

• I haven't toyed with the validation tool, as I know our validator checks against a range of retail requirements too, that Calibre may not. But this does sound like an interesting way to help craft your file.
    Let us know how it works for you!
    It would be better if the Lulu Wizard was fixed so it would take docx again. What broke it in the first place?
  • I don't know exactly what did break it, but I do know our engineering team has it on their next developer release to make a change, so it seems likely a fix is around the corner.