New Here

my name is Janet I am new here and would like to know if you make money buy using this site selling your books and how it works. 
I am writing a book 

Comments

• It is possible to make money but if you do and how much depends on your book. This site will give you the tools to get your book published for free and have it distributed worldwide in online stores including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Itunes, Inook, and many others. There are services offered the site for a price if you want them. Editing, cover making and advertising. But they are not required unless you want them.
  • Nana

It is probably best to write for the love of writing. A very small number of writers get 90 % of the pie; the rest are lucky to get a tiny fraction of a crumb.

• my name is Janet I am new here and would like to know if you make money buy using this site selling your books and how it works. 
    I am writing a book 
    You would want to be realistic. Most self-publishers will struggle. It is a bit like doing the lotto, in that only a few will actually win it, although the odds are better, slightly.

If you have time to kill, then there is no harm in writing. But i would not be expecting to sell millions like EL James did. 
  • You will get more for each book you sell on Lulu than any other channel.
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I does not really matter which site you use, the odds are usually the same, but at least using Lulu it is free to publish yourself and to be distributed to many sites where people have the opportunity to buy your book, and as many here have said, it's doubtful you will make any serious money, it's a while before even writers who become famous can afford to give up their 'day' jobs.

But for now, just write because you want and enjoy to, not with sales in mind.

• I'd have to add too that the more books you have published the higher chance you can make money. I started with one book. It was three months before I got paid. I made $5 I think for 4 book sales.But now I have 24 books out and I make much more than that. The truth is most of them don't sell but I have 3 or so that do well and combined with the one or two the others sell, I make O.K. At least enough to keep me writing and hope one day triple what I'm making now. It's a dream anyway. But it's taken me over three years to get here.
  • @JackRErnest ... Well, there are random factors to it, but it's better than the Lotto. On the Lotton, your odds are infinitely large and there's nothing you can do about it. Here, you can do something about your odds, by publishing a good and good-looking book that you market like mad.

It's a bit like a video-poker slot machine: There's still chance involved, but it's got an element of skill, as well. Do worry about the random part: hone the skills.
  • Thank you for all of your advice time to get to writing and see what happens. have a bless one
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    I certainly don't make any money, but I love Lulu. I just want to get my message across. All 3 of my novels have strong messages. It is mainly my family members and friends plus the occasional strangers who buy my books. However when I made Stolen into a free ebook, I got well over 200 downloads from all over the world. That made me very happy.