overloaded Word doc

I've been loading a Word doc with lots of photos... the idea is to create a sort of art book... mine has hundreds of photos.  It has upwards of 350 pages at this point and I am so close to finishing but suddenly Word keep pooping out on me for lack of a better term.  It is slow loading when I open it and it quits all the time when I try to load any more pictures.  It seems obvious that the answer would be that I need to delete some of my pics and make them smaller in size but I just wondered if anyone has any other input?  Again, I am so close to finishing... thanks so much.

Answers

• classiclangclassiclang Author
    edited October 2018
    The simplest solution might be to split the document in half and work with two documents until you are done.  (You can tell Word to start page numbering in the second document at 150 or whatever, so your page numbers will work.)  Then convert each to PDF and use one of several apps that let you combine multiple PDFs into one for upload to Lulu.
    Reducing the resolution of the pictures would be helpful if they are more than 300dpi, which is all you need for printing.
  • Picture resolution is probably the #1 problem.

Or, as ClassicLang suggests, break it into multiple parts.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I think images pasted to Word pages become a default 220ppi (which can be changed in Options.) But always make sure that before you paste the images that they are already the right size for the page/frame. Do not use Word to resize them because apparently the actual file it stores in the doc will still be the original size.

If you do wish to use more than one file, up to 100 can be uploaded to a Project Wizard and it will combine them.

As to your problem with Word becoming slow. That can depend on many things. Not enough RAM. Shared Graphics (no graphics card.) Temp folders etc full. In fact a not powerful enough PC.

BTW, are you considering a full colour printed book? If so, a US Letter paperback will cost you $66.40 . (But oddly a hardback will cost you $57.40!)

• Thanks everybody.  I am still working on getting some answers to this problem.  I went to both the Apple and Microsoft Stores (I am using Word for Mac) at the local mall tonight and had some folks try to help with it there.  Surprisingly I was suddenly able to add photos while I worked with those guys.  I have powered down my computer the last few days and this might be why that happened.  The guy at one store was saying it could be because I didn't have as many applications running at one time... that maybe it caused some RAM to free up or something (do I have my computer lingo correct there?).  Anyway, thanks for the answers here.  I'll try to check back in if I get it worked out.
    Oh, so you are using a Laptop? Most are not know for power, and of course having more then one app running at the same time will use it up.
  • Hi everybody.  I wanted you to know I got this problem resolved and the way I did it was by re-sizing all the photos manually using Finder on Mac.  It took a while and was a lot of hard work but I got the hardback version of my book in the mail last week so it is finally working out.  Yay!  Thanks for all of your help!
    I dare repeat this from up in the thread >>  I think images pasted to Word pages become a default 220ppi (which can be changed in Options.) But always make sure that before you paste the images that they are already the right size for the page/frame. Do not use Word to resize them because apparently the actual file it stores in the doc will still be the original size