Disingenuous Blog Posts

I have read a few Lulu blog posts which are nothing if not disingenuous. The latest post, entitled 'Make books, make bank: Understanding how to self-publish and makemoney' suggests that publishers are making a mistake by publishing to Amazon where they will only get $ 1.58 in royalty on a $ 14.99 book as opposed to $ 7.76 on Lulu.

The only mistake being made here is to publish to Amazon via Lulu. Publish directly on Amazon and you will get $ 5.74, and you get numerous other benefits, including getting you book listed within about 24 hours. The chances of your book selling on Amazon are far, far greater than it selling on Lulu.  No matter how good your marketing efforts are, you will never benefit from the serendipity factor on Lulu which you will have with Amazon i.e. people browsing the site and discovering your book. How many people use the Lulu bookstore? A mere fraction of the number that uses Amazon, that's for sure.

When it comes to print books I would rather have a smaller chunk of a larger pie than a greater chunk of pie in the sky.

Comments

• I have read a few Lulu blog posts which are nothing if not disingenuous.

There's still a Lulu blog? Where's the link to that then?! I was invited to write them once, but as I was not promoting Lulu as such, my bits were never used.

The latest post, entitled 'Make books, make bank: Understanding how to self-publish and makemoney'

That's terrible English!

suggests that publishers are making a mistake by publishing to Amazon where they will only get $ 1.58 in royalty on a $ 14.99 book as opposed to $ 7.76 on Lulu.

I would say there that if publishing only on Lulu's Storefront, the price could be $8, and still make a profit and perhaps sell more!

The only mistake being made here is to publish to Amazon via Lulu. Publish directly on Amazon and you will get $ 5.74, and you get numerous other benefits, including getting you book listed within about 24 hours. The chances of your book selling on Amazon are far, far greater than it selling on Lulu.

That is indeed true. Amazon's marketing arm is vast. But I still say, why be greedy? There's really no need to add 100% profit. Make the book cheaper and sell more. 100 $2 are more than 10 $5.75s!

No matter how good your marketing efforts are, you will never benefit from the serendipity factor on Lulu which you will have with Amazon i.e. people browsing the site and discovering your book.

Amongst the millions of books on Amazon, most by famous writers. Unlike Lulu.

How many people use the Lulu bookstore? A mere fraction of the number that uses Amazon, that's for sure.

Amazon has millions of books, many by very famous writers, with the clout of big publishing houses behind them, and pro personal websites, and huge fan bases, and the books are mass-printed and often retailing from $6.

When it comes to print books I would rather have a smaller chunk of a larger pie than a greater chunk of pie in the sky.

It's not as simple as you make out, but why are you promoting Amazon on Lulu?

• Thread closed for violating Rule 14 - advertising and promoting other companies.

Please note too that the aggressive, pro-Amazon stance from some posts on the Lulu Forums recently are not going to be tolerated. The blog post in question very clearly states that, if your goal is to sell on Amazon, you should use them directly.

We host these forums so writers and creators can discuss the craft and get some technical help from other users and staff. Let's stick to those kinds of discussions.
This discussion has been closed.