We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Why do you discourage DOCX files for printed books!

docfoxdocfox Hatfield, PA USA Reader
The Lulu site focuses on printing books from PDF files, but makes it cleaar those generated by Word are not acceptable. I wasted a lot of hours trying to make a PDF that was acceptable to your up-loader (I don't have or use any of the page design programs mentioned). I finally gave up and submitted my first book as a DOCX file - it uploaded without a problem.

Here are the Page Setup settings I used for a 6x9 paperback.

I'm sure there must be better page layout programs than Word, but millions of us use this program to write all kinds of things everyday. If its files are deficient in some manner, perhaps Lulu should devote some time to finding a way to optimize printing directly from Word files. You might find this increases your market share of first-time authors!
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• We absolutely accept Word files for Lulu.com. 

But printers do not accept Word files. 

So we have to convert whatever file you send us to PDF so it can be processed by a printer. That means you lose control over the formatting because we have to use our PDF converter. 

We'd rather you retain that control by building the file to spec the way you want it.

It's also worth noting that Word has a PDF conversion/export option (a couple actually) and if your Word file does not export to PDF well, it's very likely that same Word file will not convert to a PDF on our end well either. 

Note too that Word offers a number of formatting options that do not convert out of DOCX well, so regardless of how sophisticated a converter we might build, it would still have to make assumptions regarding choices you've made, and would still have the possibility to return a PDF that does not meet your desired layout.
  • docfoxdocfox Hatfield, PA USA Reader
    Such a defensive response to a constructive suggestion seems very inappropriate and narrow-minded. In my opinion, if you want suggestions, you should be prepared to act positively upon them! I'm not interested in why you cannot improve your service.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Such a defensive response to a constructive suggestion seems very inappropriate and narrow-minded.

How on earth is that defensive? Paul was very plainly explaining the facts. Here they are, saying what files can be used   http://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/31778/publishing-overview-and-how-to-create-a-project#latest it in no way states that docx files are unsuitable.

Many people do indeed use Word, because it has all the layout tools that most people need. Usually docx is all I upload to the Project Wizards, and they are converted to Print Ready PDFs with few problems, because as Paul said, the printers use PDFs. But if you want, Word will also Save As a PDF, and that can be uploaded also. (But the Wizards will still convert them to a PR PDF.)

In my opinion, if you want suggestions, you should be prepared to act positively upon them! I'm not interested in why you cannot improve your service.

I am not as polite as Paul, so I will ask, what on earth are you on about? Where did you get your information from? Have you not read the help pages here?

BTW. You only need to create a Template once ...

• docfox said:
    Such a defensive response to a constructive suggestion seems very inappropriate and narrow-minded. In my opinion, if you want suggestions, you should be prepared to act positively upon them! I'm not interested in why you cannot improve your service.
    No intention to come off as defensive. Perhaps I'm just confused about the suggestion, as it seems you're asking for something we already offer.

Please feel free to elaborate, we do want suggestions. These ideas are carefully recorded and play a part in our major site updates our engineers are working on right now.
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    docfox - Try using doPDF. It is free to download and easy to use. That way you will have a PDF that looks exactly the way your book will look when printed so there is no possibility of nasty surprises.
  • docfoxdocfox Hatfield, PA USA Reader
    Thank you, oncewas. I'll give that a try.

Paul_Lulu - The problem I had (as a first time user) with submitting a PDF from Word hinged on embedded (actually unembedded fonts). The bulk of my text was in Garamond and I finally got that font embedded. But I could not get the Ariel or Times New Roman fonts to embed. I did use a little Ariel, I don't think I used any Times New Roman. This embedding issue almost led me to forget about using LuLu. Then I found the small notice about submitting in other file formats including Docx. I think your site needs to make it much clearer to a "newbie" that one can submit a manuscript in file formats other than PDF. 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    edited September 20

The fonts you mention do not need to be embedded. These are all the fonts that don't need to be >>

ArialBook AntiquaBookman Old StyleCenturyCourierGaramondPalatinoTahomaTimes New RomanVerdanaSymbolsIf you bother to read the Knowledge base it's all pretty clear. Some of the information does deal with PDFs because they are not the same as docx, and not everyone has the ability to create a PDF, hence why more help is offered for them. Most people upload a docx. Lulu does nowadays tend to move towards a PDF because there's times when the Project Wizards can 'rearrange' a docx layout.