Historical Novel Society Seeking Participants with Ideas

Although I have never participated in this organization's activities myself I still get their emails, reflecting my days as an historical novelist (which I hope to soon reprise!) back when I authored the novel about Norse in North America (a Vikings and Indians story), The King of Vinland's Saga. That effort put me into the writing world and I have never regretted writing and self-publishing it although that was a long time back. As part of my efforts to publicize it I had reached out to many venues including this one, hence my continued presence on their contact list. If anyone here is doing historical novels they might have an interest in reaching out to this organization and offering some ideas for participation.

https://hns-conference.com/2018/09/09/13-tips-for-a-winning-program-proposal/

They are looking for panels, speakers, etc. If I had a new historical novel ready to go now, I'd reply myself. But at the moment I don't.

Comments

• They are actually looking for public speakers, not writers as such.
  • swmirskyswmirsky Publisher
    edited September 2018
    It's about book promotion, Kevin. That's how I got some visibility for my first book. Remember the VikingSail 2000 event I undertook to coordinate in New York City in the year 2000? My part in it developed through my outreach to reenactment groups around the United States and in the UK where "vikings" are a bigger thing than here.

Although I never participated in the Historical Novels Society's events, I was in touch with them and, as I recall, ended up getting KVS reviewed by one of their writers for their newsletter/magazine. So it's not as if there's no point in making these kinds of contacts.

Remember, too, that I previously mentioned coordinating two Literary Arts Festivals in the Gateway National Recreation Area around 2007 and 2008 in which I brought in authors, agents, booksellers and publishers' acquisitions editors from around the U.S. and even one who published in Britain for a series of panel discussions. We also had  an onsite bookstore and musical entertainment and a food vendor. I also brought in representatives of the two premier POD self-publishing service providers at the time for a discussion panel (Xlibris and iUniverse) to talk about how would-be authors could leverage digital printing to break in. There was also an editor's panel, an agent's panel, a small bookstore panel and panels dedicated to sci-fi writing, historical fiction, mysteries and non-fiction. So we covered the gamut. Both festivals were successes (lots of publicity in the local papers and lots of books sold and big crowds) though I think our first was the better one as it was new and more people were eager to see what it was about. 

Promotion isn't just pushing our books' sales. It's also about creating venues for presenting the book, gaining visibility both for the book itself and you as author, and networking with agents, publishers, editors, booksellers and other authors. Indeed, it's about helping one's fellow authors in order to help ourselves.

So if anyone here writes in the historical fiction genre and has something ready they could probably do a lot worse than reach out to this organization and find a way to participate.
  • So what happened to all of the above then? Why do you still not do that? That link stills seems little to do with individual book promotion though. It also seems a way of getting free speakers. They are normally quite expensive.
  • So what happened to all of the above then?  Why do you still not do that?

KVS ran its course. It wasn't new anymore. And other "viking" novels were starting to appear plus I wasn't interested in doing the sequel I had originally left room for.

Also, of course, I got older and less energetic and became involved with other projects, other books (a couple of editing jobs, writing that novelized holocaust memoir under contract I mentioned elsewhere, assisting others to prepare books of their own, and, of course, writing other books of my own including the aborted novel I mentioned elsewhere (hopefully soon to be revived) and two philosophy books (this present one being the follow-up). Of course, philosophy books aren't about selling lots of copies or even authorial presence though I have been trying to establish some presence in the philosophical world but not with a lot of success. There are philosophy conferences but entre into those generally requires a certain level of credentials which I don't have!

The two Literary Arts Festivals were a lot of fun, of course, but also a lot of work and when the second one turned out to be a little less exciting than the first I decided I wanted to move on. Being less energetic has helped make that decision for me.

That link stills seems little to do with individual book promotion though. It also seems a way of getting free speakers. They are normally quite expensive.

It's about self-help. I didn't get paid for organizing those events or participating on some of the panels. No one did. They came to get their message out. To tell people about who they were and what they had done or could do and to showcase their stuff.

You ought to try something along these lines in the UK. I understand there's a UK chapter of the Historical Novels Society. Maybe there are similar organizations in your preferred genre (sci-fi, right)?

As I said above, this is about do-it-yourself efforts since, as self-publishers, no one is going to do it for us. One of the best ways to help yourself is to leverage your efforts by combining with others who are also helping themselves.    
  • So what happened to all of the above then?  Why do you still not do that?

KVS ran its course. It wasn't new anymore.

The likes of Glastonbury isn't new either, but 10000s go to it.

And other "viking" novels were starting to appear plus I wasn't interested in doing the sequel I had originally left room for.

From your description it does not sound Viking specific. But even so, many 'Viking' things go on annually. At least over here they do.

Also, of course, I got older and less energetic and became involved with other projects, other books (a couple of editing jobs, writing that novelized holocaust memoir under contract I mentioned elsewhere, assisting others to prepare books of their own,

I am puzzled about that, when you don't seem able to do your own now.

and, of course, writing other books of my own including the aborted novel I mentioned elsewhere (hopefully soon to be revived) and two philosophy books (this present one being the follow-up). Of course, philosophy books aren't about selling lots of copies or even authorial presence though I have been trying to establish some presence in the philosophical world but not with a lot of success. There are philosophy conferences but entre into those generally requires a certain level of credentials which I don't have!

No comment ...

The two Literary Arts Festivals were a lot of fun, of course, but also a lot of work and when the second one turned out to be a little less exciting than the first I decided I wanted to move on. Being less energetic has helped make that decision for me.

That link stills seems little to do with individual book promotion though. It also seems a way of getting free speakers. They are normally quite expensive.

It's about self-help. I didn't get paid for organizing those events or participating on some of the panels. No one did.

That's a shame then. http://www.sternbergclarke.co.uk/genre/speakers

They came to get their message out. To tell people about who they were and what they had done or could do and to showcase their stuff.

So do paid ones.

You ought to try something along these lines in the UK.

I have no interest in speaking or listening at such places. I would rather just get on with the actual action of writing.

I understand there's a UK chapter of the Historical Novels Society.

I have no doubt there are, and other types. I will watch documentaries on TV from the comfort of my sofa.

Maybe there are similar organizations in your preferred genre (sci-fi, right)?

To what ends? What's that they say? Those who can do, do it, those who cannot, just talk about it :)

As I said above, this is about do-it-yourself efforts since, as self-publishers, no one is going to do it for us.

Indeed.

One of the best ways to help yourself is to leverage your efforts by combining with others who are also helping themselves.

Where's the Self in that then? But I don't need help. It's not me asking for it.    

• swmirskyswmirsky Publisher
    edited September 2018
    I am puzzled about that, when you don't seem able to do your own [book] now.

You really are a very odd duck.

Regarding possible participation in events as a presenter: 

I have no interest in speaking or listening at such places. I would rather just get on with the actual action of writing.

Then don't bother with such events. This post was generic, not just for you.

I will watch documentaries on TV from the comfort of my sofa.

That's one way to get experience I suppose.

What's that they say? Those who can do, do it, those who cannot, just talk about it 

Well bully for you.

When I wrote: " One of the best ways to help yourself is to leverage your efforts by combining with others who are also helping themselves."

Kevin replied: Where's the Self in that then? But I don't need help. It's not me asking for it.

Was it not John Donne who wrote "No man is an island"?

https://web.cs.dal.ca/~johnston/poetry/island.html     

• swmirsky said:
    Promotion isn't just pushing our books' sales. It's also about creating venues for presenting the book, gaining visibility both for the book itself and you as author, and networking with agents, publishers, editors, booksellers and other authors. Indeed, it's about helping one's fellow authors in order to help ourselves.
    For this alone, I would consider attending an event like this if I were you. Even without a new book ready to fire, getting involved and staying involved in the community (niche) who reads your genre is crucial.
  • For the moment I am otherwise engaged. There will be more opportunities ahead as there always are. Right now I have one book to finalize and another to return to which, if things go well, may actually come to fruition this time. We can't do everything even if we do some things.
  • For this alone, I would consider attending an event like this if I were you.

Is that a generic "you?"  :)

Even without a new book ready to fire, getting involved and staying involved in the community (niche) who reads your genre is crucial

That is no doubt true, and writers do indeed do that. But often their presence is financed by their publisher, whereas with a self-publisher, it comes out of their own pocket. Trundling around even just the UK is far from cheap (and time consuming.) Plus hotels, etc., etc.,

• For this alone, I would consider attending an event like this if I were you.

Is that a generic "you?"  :)

Yes, I mean that generically in that it's often beneficial for authors to connect with groups that speak to their audience. 

That is no doubt true, and writers do indeed do that. But often their presence is financed by their publisher, whereas with a self-publisher, it comes out of their own pocket. Trundling around even just the UK is far from cheap (and time consuming.) Plus hotels, etc., etc.,

True enough, it can be expensive.