We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Lulu's offices will be closed Thursday, November 22 and Friday November 23, in observance of the United States Thanksgiving holiday. Please feel free to create a support case if you need to contact us and we'll respond promptly when we return to the office on Monday, November 26.

Have a safe and happy holiday!

Amazon's printers use files supplied by Lulu

Books created on Lulu but ordered through Amazon are actually printed by Amazon's own printers using files supplied by Lulu?  YES.
Are the Amazon printed books the same quality as printed by Lulu? NO.
Lulu books sold through Amazon have 'Printed by Amazon' on last page. YES.

Where does Lulu ask permission of the author to do this?

Comments

• Hi Ariya,

I'm not sure I full understand the question, but we do provide and require that you agree to Terms & Conditions that details the retailers rights to print the product to their specifications.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Books printed by 'Lulu's printers' have a small barcode on the last page. Does it matter?
  • Thank you Paul. It was a surprise to receive a copy of a Lulu published book from Amazon. Lulu print to a very high standard and I expected the same book I had approved to be sold through Amazon but it was inferior. Quality of cover, darker matte pages and layout seemed reduced on page.  

I've looked up the link Terms & Conditions and see where Lulu has taken the right to share author's files with "Amazon":

globalREACH Distribution.
    1. Lulu will:
      1. i. Provide the files and metadata of your Content, and any revision to your Content, that you provide to Lulu that otherwise meet the requirements of this Agreement and the Lulu Terms, to the retail distribution channels for which it may be qualified and with which Lulu has a direct or indirect relationship (“Distributors”), at its sole discretion,....
    One of the reasons why an author becomes their own publisher is to have control over printing quality, discount and distribution. 

Thanks again for sharing the link with regards to where authors agree to let Lulu share their files with Amazon.
  • If we could get Amazon to offer distribution at our standards, we would. The only way to get books distributed through them is on their terms. 

That's one of the main reasons we're making such strong efforts to offer alternatives, like our Shopify ecommerce app and the Lulu Bookstore.
  • Thank you Kevin. It does matter when not understood. 

The bar code had printed above it 'Printed by Amazon' with a Margate address below. This was a surprise as the author had assumed the Lulu approved book was what a customer would receive through Amazon.

Have now learned that Lulu share author's files with Amazon for Amazon to print out (and that Lulu authors agreed to this through GlobalReach terms and conditions). 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Thank you Kevin. It does matter when not understood. 

Perhaps when POD itself is not understood, but I still don't see why it matters that it says Amazon on it, and that the files are shared. (Just as the same with distributed e-books I would assume.)

The bar code had printed above it 'Printed by Amazon' with a Margate address below. This was a surprise as the author had assumed the Lulu approved book was what a customer would receive through Amazon.

But it is still a book published at Lulu. However, what do you mean by Approved? Lulu do not approve the books published here. They do not even read them. Distribution is all done by software. It's just fortunate that Amazon also own Createspace (also where POD books can be published directly) so when a book published on Lulu is sold via Amazon it is printed by Createspace. (I have no idea whay it says Amazon and not Createspace, but apparently there's been sort sort of merger between the two Amazon branches.)

Have now learned that Lulu share author's files with Amazon for Amazon to print out (and that Lulu authors agreed to this through GlobalReach terms and conditions). 

Well, indeed. Lulu also must share files with the POD printers that they use, too, otherwise the books would never get printed. (Lulu do not own any POD machines.) Books created here are on sale all over the internet, what is the quality of printing some of the other sites produce? I know that the attempt is made to have an order printed as close as possible to the place of order, are they all of the same quality? I would not know, I never buy my own books from other sites  :)

What I know, from buying Proofs direct from Lulu (printed in the UK) is that the quality is perhaps the best I have ever seen for any paperback. Perhaps the ones printed by Amazon are simply just 'normal?'

• I've worked with a lot of Print on Demand vendors, and Lulu's printing is superior for sure. But for global distribution to be anywhere near affordable, books need to be sent electronically and then printed near the buyer. If you choose to enjoy various vendors, like Amazon or Barnes & Noble, you'll have to live with their local printers. That's just the deal you sign up for when choosing distribution. It wouldn't be practical for Lulu to print a single copy, ship it to Amazon, and then have Amazon repackage it for their own delivery. On the plus side, your books printed by Amazon will look as good as all the other Amazon books. But yeah, I wish they all looked as good as Lulu direct.