Create-space KDP Merge

Does anyone know if or how this merger will affect those of us that don't publish directly to Amazon?

Comments

• I use KDP, and have not heard anything about that. They usually send out news updates. There's a lot about it on line, though, here's something >>

Amazon has announced that its print-on-demand platforms CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will merge, reports the Digital Reader.

Authors are being asked to move their books from CreateSpace to KDP, and Amazon has launched a help page on the KDP website to explain how the merger will affect authors.

Initially a DVD and CD production service, CreateSpace was acquired by Amazon in 2005 and later took on print-on-demand services. Amazon launched KDP in July 2016 and opened for a public beta test early last year.

For more information about the differences between CreateSpace and KDP, including royalty payments, distribution and more, click here.

But what have paper books got to do with KDP? Kindle are not paper books, and you cannot directly create them there, why would you move them to there? What happens at KDP is once you have fully created a book for Kindle, it then suggests by a bit of a pop-up bar, you may wish to also make a printed version, and if you don't want to do that, you just ignore the offer. There's seems to be no actual 'Merge' so far.

• Does anyone know if or how this merger will affect those of us that don't publish directly to Amazon?
    In terms of distribution to Amazon? 

As far as we know, nothing should be changing. That said, Amazon is known for making sudden changes with little or no notice. We'll be sure to keep everyone up to date as we learn more. 
  • Amazon has owned CreateSpace for quite some time. What's different now is one can no longer publish using CreateSpace, and all CS content is moving to the KDP platform. Apparently same printing operation, just different interface. It has no effect on anything published using Lulu.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Indeed. As I said, when one uses KDP now, and finished creating a new kindle book, it then brings up the option to create a printed version. But I am sure that happened well before the news of the merger did. Really, as far as users are concerned, it's only the software that's been merged.