We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

question my fellow writers

im trying to publish my first novel and im confused on the epub formatting as far as how to do the headings and titles because once lulu edits the book it is thrown out of whack?!? Heeelllppp!!

Comments

• ??? Lulu does not do any editing.

Indeed they do not. Although if creating a PDF e-book, it may matter what page size one is uploading. But I doubt it.

As to Lulu editing anything, they only do that if you pay them for that service, otherwise it's 100% DIY before you upload.

• I think he is saying that the ePub converter didn't know what to make of his section divisions. Since I haven't been dabbling in eBooks of late, I can't answer that.
  • If you're struggling with Heading styles, I always suggest starting fresh. Take your document, select all, and wipe all formatting. Then go through and apply the Heading styles to the title and other necessary text to great your chapter divisions and the like.
  • Ok let me make it clearer.. What are the heading styles? How do they look? How do I apply them? How does the separation I want between an ending chapter and a new one stay how i want it? What is the correct format?
  • Headings are a standard means for differentiating text styles. You'll want to be pretty comfortable and familiar with the way MS Word handles them before you dive into ebook formatting.

Once you have a solid understanding of how Word uses styles, I suggest our ebook formatting guide for specific details about setting up your ebook. 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    A file for an ePub does not use the options, New Section, Page Break, etc. If each chapter has a title (which few of my books do!) then applying Heading Style 1 to those titles will place them in the TOC, but also sort of act as a Page Break.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 13
    I think the mistake that some people make with ebooks is that they don't realise that the wizard will create your Table of Contents if you have put in the correct headings. If you make your own TOC it is duplicated in the wizard. Just follow the advice Lulu gives for turning docs into epubs. I know so many people who say it's too complicated to make books in Lulu. It does take a bit of patience to learn, but it's so worth it. THANK YOU LULU. I try to persuade my writing group to self publish in Lulu.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I think the mistake that some people make with ebooks is that they don't realise that the wizard will create your Table of Contents if you have put in the correct headings and have the correct size book.

They should read Lulu's How-Tos then  :)    http://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/109443/ebook-creator-guide#latest

EPubs do not have page sizes, though. PDFs can have.

If you make your own TOC it is duplicated in the wizard. Just follow the advice Luu gives for turning docs into epubs and make it the correct size.

It can be. But if the TOCs are also already hyperlinks (ePub) it can cause the Convertor problems.

Many people do get mixed up with Heading Styles and Headers and Footers. EPubs do not have the latter two. They are what can be placed in the top and bottom margins of printed books. Heading Styles are the preset text Styles that can be applied to the text on the pages. In Word, Styles are to be found in the 'Ribbon' at the top of the screen when the Home Tab is selected. Applying Heading Style 1 to chapter headings will command the Convertor to include them in the TOC it creates.

I know so many people who say it's too complicated to make books in Lulu. It does take a bit of patience to learn, but it's so worth it. THANK YOU LULU. I try to persuade my writing group to self publish in Lulu.

It can be a puzzle at first, but fast and easy once one gets the hang of it. But I always say, first learn how to use the software on one's PC, that's required to create the files Lulu's Project Wizards demand, before one steps in to Create. Also read everything on Lulu before you try to make a book here.

http://connect.lulu.com/en/categories/publish

But don't be frightened of having a go within a Project Wizard. Set it at Private.

And hello to Liz's writing group  :)