We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Kary Oberbrunner Author Academy

Attended a free 2-hour online course @ Author Academy. Anyone know anything about this Academy or this man? Is he legit? On-line searches don't seem to have reviews  positive or negative  Any help would be appreciated 
Tagged:

Comments

• I dunno. He seems to be one of the zillion self-help gurus who make millions holding pep rallies telling audiences how wonderful they should feel and how if they just follow the guru’s advice (and buy tickets to their seminars) they can be millionaires, too.

I suspect that this “Academy” is just a hook to get hopeful authors to sign up for Oberbrunner’s “Author Academy Elite,” which looks like a get rich quick scam to me, promising to make its members “6-figure authors.”

I thought it was funny that Oberbrunner makes a big deal out of being a “6-time traditionally published author...” I’ve had something like 40 books published traditionally, by publishers such as Workman, HarperCollins and Smithsonian Books. My most recent one was #1 on Amazon for several weeks last year. And I sure didn’t need Oberbrunner’s Academy to do this.

You can get much better advice about writing and marketing your book elsewhere than through people like Oberbrunner. Anyone who makes the claims he does for promising success should be kept at arm’s length.

My story: After attending the online seminar I signed in and filled out an application to be accepted into the academy to see how far I would get. My book published here is for a specialized audience. Based on the feedback coming in at the live chat, I assumed I would not be accepted. However,  I was wrong. Three hours after submitting my application it was reviewed and accepted. I have five days (as of  8.22.18 ) to log in, signup for a package, and become a member. I may just lose the e-mail
  • You make it sound like some of the shadier vanity publishers who will accept anything sent in, tell the author it’s a masterpiece and then send them a bill.

Perhaps it's one of those things were yer pays yer money and make yer mind up when you learn what it is. I doubt it is possible to find out exactly what it is without joining. But many of these 'Life Coach' sort of things only really worked for the person teaching it, because every person is different. It's perhaps like Tony Robbins stuff, in one ear, out the other a few hours later. (Often because a lot of it is BS.) But they are not exactly scams, just possibly pointless.

I get the feeling, though, that this is like a scheme an associate of mine came up with decades ago. I think it was called The Key to Success and Wealth. It was a monthly subscription course with about 12 parts, sent through post. I forget the cost, but not cheap. What it contained each month was parts of details on how to market the course to other people. You had to get each part to get the full marketing gen. Each person who took up with selling it, had to buy it from the originator at a 'discount' to mail on. Those other people could also do the same thing. The lessons in it were handy for other products, it was well conceived, but eventally, with so many people eventually selling the course, the market became saturated, and it died off. But it did make my associate quite rich with little effort. Years later I think it was possible to get photocopies of it for nothing.

I see that Mr. Oberbrunner has many 'disciples' also pushing his scheme ...

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Now, another thing going around in those days was a floppy disc full of 'self-help' and 'how to set up in (fill in here)' books in txt form. Anyone who bought it could print out and sell the books, but they could also sell the entire disc, but they had to buy that from the originator. God knows where a lot of the books were from, but most of them were rubbish and often with no originators name on them. It was actually marketed as how to make £xxxxxx in publishing.
  • LoriLori Writer
    Kevin and Mr. Miller: Thank you for your insight/support.  I have been thinking about this much of the day and have received three emails asking if I have signed up. I'm feeling some pressure and don't believe that is right for me  
    I have not doubt you will get those emails for quite a while. See if you can block them.
  • Lori said:
    Kevin and Mr. Miller:  I have been thinking about this much of the day and have received three emails asking if I have signed up. 
    That alone should tell you a lot.
    The countdown clock continues to click! I have one day X hours/minutes etc.  To complete registration Got an invitation to a "Fireside Chat" with accepted applicants to author academy. Joined in the chat to listen did not wish to share.  Finally got to price of the academy about 20 minutes into an hour chat $ 5,000.00. I logged out of the meeting!
    It's a 'pyramid' scheme, like Scientology.
  • Lori said:
    Kevin and Mr. Miller:  I have been thinking about this much of the day and have received three emails asking if I have signed up. 
    That alone should tell you a lot.
  • Oh shoot, I wish I'd seen this sooner. This company is awesome! I wrote my book with Author Academy Elite about two years ago. My second book is written and I have two others in ready to push out. (All will be published with Kary and AAE) I totally get all these comments I had all the same skepticism.

Now that I am in the group and see the new authors coming in every few months I get the routine. Kary himself coaches the new authors and as soon as an incoming group begins to get their books published/have their platforms going strong he lets a new group come it. That is why there is the window of signing up. I wish you'd have been with them- maybe next time and feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I am happy to share anything you might wonder.

My whole company is built off my book. I do as many streams of income off my book that I can...for me four and I my new company is strong. (Kary taught me, as well as everyone in there everything.) I was a director of nursing for over 20 years and now have a life coaching practice that will retire with me someday.

I hope this reassures any potential author looking to publish a book and actually get coaching on how to do that and on how to turn it into their life work.

Niccie
  • I have to agree with Niccie.  I wrote and published my book through Kary and AAE and it was the BEST decision I could have made.  I published a children's book many years ago and wish I knew then what I know now! AAE helped me not only write and publish my book but also make a whole business around it. Now that I am a part of this amazing group I get to see authors release new books all the time and celebrate with them. I would highly recommend AAE for anyone that has a dream of becoming an author!! I am here to tell you this is REAL!

Lisa
    Did their PR section write those?
  • Why no, Kevin. I'm certain (wink wink) that two complete strangers who just happen to have published books through this method just happened (wink wink) to be passing by, and to have decided to register on a forum for people who use a completely different method of publishing (wink wink) where they would have no reason to be if their other method was so successful (wink wink -- I'm gonna sprain an eyelid here) ...

One-post wonders -- vigorously supporting a questionable system / product -- on a thread that has come to a negative conclusion about that product. Hmmmmmm. Let's just say I find it... dubious.
    Very, and so glowing too.
  • While these two posts do seem dubious, I'm inclined to leave them as they don't technically violate any rules and I think it lends to the argument being made here: be very skeptical of paid services that promise or guarantee success.
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    edited October 2018

Hmmm....
    Thought I'd look up Niccie Kleigl's book, Awakening the Living Legacy, which was published in 2016 by Author Academy Elite. The hardcover edition is currently listed on Amazon at  #4,001,542 in Books and at #14466 in its best subcategory. The Kindle edition is currently at #1,444,469.

Lisa Moser's book, Miss Conception, was published by AAE in 2017. The current Amazon rank of the hardcover is #1,426,810 in Books and #6349 in its best subcategory.

Kary Oberbrunner's own most recent book, The Elixir Project (2016), has a current Amazon rank of  #2,116,652 in Books for its hardcover edition. 

By comparison, my own The Zoomable Universe was published by Farrar, Strauss & Giroux in October 2017 and has a current Amazon rank of #200,043 in Books and #156 in its best subcategory. The Kindle edition is currently at #491,404. According to my last statement, sales of the hardcover edition are averaging about 65 copies a day.  (Zoomable is also on the long list for the 2019 AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize for Excellence in Science Books for YA). Aliens, which came out from Watkins in the same month as Zoomable Universe, has a current hardcover rank of #248,939 in Books (there is no Kindle version). The Art of Space, which was published in 2014 by Zenith and is not even in print any longer, still has a current rank of  #242,061 in Books and #72 in its best subcategory. 

But then, these books were published by traditional publishing companies, so maybe I am at a disadvantage and really need to sign up for Author Academy Elite right away.
  • I would still be very interested in learning just how much authors are required to invest in AAE when publishing through them. I have the strongest feeling that they could do as well with their books by going through Lulu and with much less out of pocket expenses.
    -
    Hmmm...

After noticing that Niccie's and Lisa's books were both published by AAE rather than traditional publishers, I thought I would take a look at a few other AAE authors.

And what do you know! Every one of those that I looked up from the "6-figure author" list were published through AAE rather than an established traditional publisher. In addition to Lisa Moser and Niccie Kleigl these include Amy Schmittauer, Mark Lamaster, Debra Hayes, Cardiff Hall, Jim Akers, Mary Valloni, Melissa Nixon, Derek Deprey and Aaron Luse.

Indeed, I wonder if any AAE author has had their book published by a traditional publisher?

I suppose the natural question to ask is: did any of the costs for publishing these books come out of the authors' own pockets? 

Perhaps it is suggestive that the application form ends in three check boxes: 
    Right now I... 
    [] Have the financial resources to invest in my growth as an author.
    [] Have access to the financial resources to invest in my growth as an author.
    [] Don't have any financial resources at all.

It does amuse me that many of the people who blog about writing, and then draw your attention to their books, are not achieving very good sales.

I choose to ignore all those who write about writing, and those who wish to sell a service, of whatever kind. I will plod along at my own pace, keeping my own counsel, and not spending my pennies unless I choose to.

• The game is afoot.
    oncewas Librarian

It does amuse me that many of the people who blog about writing, and then draw your attention to their books, are not achieving very good sales.

In the same manner that Coca-Cola constantly advertise but have massive sales? Quite a few famous writers have websites with  news and even blogs on. But at times a lot of the content is placed by their agent and publisher, who obviously believe that they need to keep fans' interested. It's now common for writers who do sell a lot of books to have blogs, it's often how they do sell so many. It's called Advertorials. The technology makes it very easy to do.  https://www.writerswrite.com/authorblogs/

I choose to ignore all those who write about writing,

Depends what they are saying. I ignore those who tell me how to write like they do, as if it's the only way, and old-school English and grammar 'fascists.' I often wonder how many books they read?

and those who wish to sell a service, of whatever kind.

That's called trying to earn a living. You begrudge that? But there are many alternative options on line.

I will plod along at my own pace, keeping my own counsel,

You do?!

and not spending my pennies unless I choose to.

Do we all not do that? 

• Kevin, I think Oncewas is trying to say that the KO / AAE is giving advice without taking their own counsel. Like when Horace Greeley advised "Go West, Young Man!" but remained ensconced in New York State.

The concept is sometimes spoken: "Physician, Heal thyself."

One of my uncles used to tell us of a scam ad in newspapers. It would say, "Learn how to make a $100! Send $1 for a pamphlet that tells exactly how!"

The pamphlet said:
    1. Print 100 copies of this pamphlet.
    2. Advertise in your local paper, "Learn how to make a $100! Send $1 for a pamphlet that tells exactly how!"
    3. Send one pamphlet to each person who responds with $1.

And cetera...
  • I have evidence to suggest that if one were to state that one had no money, one would be advised to start a kickstarter campaign.
  • As a complete shot in the dark, cough-cough, I think... $197 for the cheap package, after a $100 discount that Kary "talked the board into." We'll see what the expensive package goes for.
    Are you sure that's not per month? I think in the email they sent you they are boasting their course is 'only' $5,000 - "at least 1/4 (or something) of what other places cost."
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    I wish I wasn't so busy creating and selling books. I too would parse every post and reply line by line. I feel like I'm missing out on something.