We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Here we go again: Shameless Promotion

It doesn’t encourage me to look at someone’s book when they can’t bother to follow directions to the extent of including the cover in their announcement. Why should I have to take an extra step for that privilege? It encourages me even less when a blurb (and list of contents) is ungrammatical. Why would I think the book is any better?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian
    As ye sow so shall ye reap. Most of the books shamelessly promoted here will sink into obscurity.
  • Joe_Bondi_BeachJoe_Bondi_Beach San Francisco Bay Area Creator
    It doesn’t encourage me to look at someone’s book when they can’t bother to follow directions to the extent of including the cover in their announcement. Why should I have to take an extra step for that privilege? It encourages me even less when a blurb (and list of contents) is ungrammatical. Why would I think the book is any better?
    Funny about that. Isn't that about the first thing, and the one repeated endlessly, about writing a blurb or a resume or a cover letter—the whole check grammar, clarity, typos, formatting, blah blah blah? (No need to get into once more the whole issue of following Lulu's guidance about the elements of your blurb.)

At one point in my technical writing career I was listed in my university alumni center as a contact for career advice. So what do I get one day but an email inquiry about employment prospects in technical writing at my firm—with bad grammar, lousy layout, odd capitalization, and I don't remember what else. What was this guy thinking?
  • welL, iT lookS likE you missed chance (the) for e e cummings ) to write ( your technikal Manuals.

:^)

edited August 16
    Skoob_ym said:
    welL, iT lookS likE you missed chance (the) for e e cummings ) to write ( your technikal Manuals.

:^)

I once offered to write procedures in blank verse (which I've never written a word of in my life*) but had no takers. IT guys and gals—at this outfit at any rate—were not big on writing but they sure as hell knew their stuff.

When even writing notes on a napkin was too much I spent as much time as it took listening to them talk their way through the process to be described. And guess what, every now and then it brought out a discrepancy or error in the procedure itself.

*it doesn't have to rhyme—how hard could it be?

"Tagged" MeToo Shameless promotion
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

As ye sow so shall ye reap. Most of the books shamelessly promoted here will sink into obscurity.

Unfortunately, like so many books, regardless of where or how they are published.

I don't know if it's amusing or sad, that a link in one of the postings in Shameless simply opens the posting in Shameless.
    I don't know if it's amusing or sad, that a link in one of the postings in Shameless simply opens the posting in Shameless.
    Operator error out of ignorance. I did not realize the "tags" would link anywhere. Fixed.

However, FWIW my wife is a fan of the British Shameless series and the U.S. one.
  • When I consider how my toner is spent 'ere half my maintenance kit,
    And that one talent, my print queue, lodged, useless, inside
    And anxious to fill my quota lest that one IT guy with the weird mustache, returning, chide,
    "Doth TCP/IP requite PostScript printing, toner denied?"
    I fondly ask ...

-- Apologies to John Milton (On His Blindness)
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 25
    Joe_Bondi_Beach, 

Blank verse is generally written in iambic pentameter. You just have to get a rhythm, or metre established by the words in that line. It’s a very popular form of poetry and your procedures would be brilliant in that format. Don’t forget to infuse the poem with emotion.

Here’s a few lines from Tintern Abbey by Wordsworth written in blank verse.

Five years have past; five summers, with the length

Of five long winters! And again I hear

These waters, rolling from their mountain-springs

With a soft inland murmur. – Once again

Do I behold these steep and lofty cliff.

Blank verse has a consistent metre with 10 syllables in each line  where, unstressed syllables are followed by stressed ones, five of which are stressed but do not rhyme. 

Sounding du DUM du DUM du DUM du DUM du DUM

Give them something different. Go on have a go Joe! :)

edited November 25
    Yes Ron. The one and only time my husband came to the forum to promote his book, he didn't read the instructions which state that you must have a thumbnail picture of the cover. He had no picture. With great patience Paul explained what he had to do. PS Also first time I shamelessly exhibited my book in "Shameless," you told me to give the exact page of the book not just my Spotlight shop. :)

Five years have past; five summers, with the length

should that not be passed? Many have bother with that, including me at times!

edited November 26
    Yes it should be "passed" Kevin. I don't think Wordsworth made that mistake! I blame the internet where I managed to find it. :)   PS and myself for not noticing it! :(
    PPS I ended my teaching career as an Advisory Teacher for English in schools in our area. I would be sacked if I wrote a report making such an error. ;)
    Past is possible the original. English was a tad more flexible in those days, and getting the same again!
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    edited November 27
    Iambic stresses can also be used to good effect in music. You may recall from a decade or so ago, when a group called TLC had a hit song called No Scrubs. It is almost entirely Iambic Pentameters and Heptameters, which resulted in an oddly haunting melody, used to near-genius effect despite atrocious grammar and usage.

(I) (don't) (want) (no) (SCRUB), (a) (scrub) (is) (a) (man) (who) (CAN'T) (get) (no) (love) (from) (ME) (hang)(in') (out)-(th') (passen)(ger) (SIDE) (of)-(his) (best) (friend's) (RIDE)...

5,7,5,7,5 to my ear...

But poetry can also have both meter and rhyme, as in Tennyson's Locksley Hall:

Beneath that marble yonder
    Sinking slow into the ground
    Lies the founder, our forefather
    With his feet upon the hound

Crossed! For he sailed the sea
    To smite the mussilman in his pride
    Dead the warrior, dead his glory
    Dead the cause in which he died.
    Advertising copywriters say they often use 'improper' English because it can make a short phrase stick in peoples' minds more.