We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

It often shocks me ...

... how much people charge for their books. PDFs costing more than a hardback of the same page count?! I have to be stunned. Sorry.

Comments

• I price everything to make at least $1 per sales. Not much but maybe sell more and make up in volume.
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    ... how much people charge for their books. PDFs costing more than a hardback of the same page count?! I have to be stunned. Sorry.
    Yup! Sometimes I am astonished at the prices people will tack onto their POD books. Well, hope springs eternal, I suppose.

1. My book has as much value as the book next to it (perhaps true),
    2. Therefore I can charge at least as much as the next book (perhaps true);
    3. Or even a little bit more (probably not true);
    4. And if it makes me a little profit, why shouldn't it make me a large profit (definitely weak);
    5. And if it makes me a large profit, why not a huge profit? (absolutely horrible reasoning)

Alternatively, they may think like this:

Premises: I want to make $1 million, and my book is only likely to sell 100 copies.
    Good conclusion: Therefore I should write 10,000 great titles that make $1 per copy.
    Poor conclusion: Therefore I should charge $10,000 per copy of my book.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

When e-books first appeared on Amazon etc., they were priced the same as printed books, and there was a great public outcry ("You have no printing or shipping costs!!!" for example.) But I notice many of them have crept back up in price (and no one is now moaning!)

It's bizarre when an e-book costs the same or even more as the hardback version at one's local superstore. I know what I would rather buy.

http://www.wiseinkblog.com/self-publishing-2/the-definitive-guide-to-pricing-your-book/

And there's lots more advice to be found. Few seem to deal with the Cost of POD, though. Although, all the same, just because one is using POD does not mean one can add 100% to the Cost, just because one wants to, the advice above still holds.

• SeamusSeamus Creator
    My plan is to initially  gouge my family and friends on facebook until I build up a few hundred $$ I can use to fund my promotional costs in Phase 2 and 3. Of course I also funneled all my initial buyers through Lulu and explained to them how to use a coupon, In the fall when I start phase 2, I can lower my price for strangers if it helps. 
    It's funny that that link mentions the importance of making  your price end in nine, maybe I'll drop my price by a penny and see if that helps.
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • I hope that works out for you, but I have found that relying on sales to friends and families has not worked for me, and for some it can give a false reality, ie, once this avenue has been exhausted, nothing else happens. But there's always exceptions.

It's funny that that link mentions the importance of making  your price end in nine, maybe I'll drop my price by a penny and see if that helps.

Such precise pricing can be hard to achieve. Not only are there currency fluctuations, but I also recall when VAT was increased in the UK, which really cocked-up prices ending in 99! I also recall were that type of pricing started. It was USA car advertisers who thought that $14,999.99 sounded a lot less than $15,000. At the same time they stopped using the word Dollar.

But the other problem is, it's not us who fix the prices on other retail sites. (Unless one publishes on them, too.)

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

The only truly satisfying sales are the ones you make to complete strangers. These people buy your book because they want it, not because they are related to you or feel sorry for you, etc. etc.

The only truly satisfying sales are the ones you make to complete strangers. These people buy your book because they want it, not because they are related to you or feel sorry for you, etc. etc.

Any sale is a sale, but with an ISBN most buyers will indeed be strangers. But having said that, if any friends and relations, etc., who buy our books via use of a search on Amazon, or wherever, will still be 'strangers,' because no retailer will tell you who bought your product. But all the same, if friends and relations, etc., have not  expected or insisted on a free copy, then that's possibly unusual.

• SeamusSeamus Creator
    Wildwind! you were right! I just got my first truly organic sale! And it is very satisfying,  enough to take the sting out of getting $1.20 for a sale instead of $6.50
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
    Well perhaps that proves there's satisfaction in not being greedy? :)
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher

Better to have a small slice of a huge pie than a huge slice of a small pie.

See also, Banoch-Tarski Paradox.