We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Colouring book

Hello, i am in the process of creating a colouring book, i want to find the right thickness so it can be accessible to all paints and colouring pens.

I had chosen A4 premium paper - perfect bound - 89gsm

I have put one illustration image per page - so any bleedthrough wont effect the next page

Are there any more options that would be better -  ls 120 gsm paper available

thanks  

Comments

• Hi Kazred,

We would recommend the 89 gsm paper as that will enable people to use colored pencils and markers on the paper.

If our full color option is chosen (118 gsm), it will be glossy paper and it will not be optimal for coloring.
  • kazredkazred Reader
    edited July 2018
    Ah thanks, so its best to stick with the 89 gsm paper, would anyone know if water colours can be used on 89 gsm paper - i've sent for a proof copy but takes five days for delivery 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    It's not recommended for water colours, or even 'runny' felt tips. In fact 118gsm is also not suitable for water colours. Normally Art Paper is used for water colours. Don't worry, though, normally coloured pencils are used for colouring books. In fact recommend them in the blurb on the back cover and in the Description.
  • kazredkazred Reader
    Ok i will do that, thanks 
    Then again, people do cut the pages out of colouring books, but if the watercolour is too runny the paper will warp.
  • kazredkazred Reader
    edited July 2018
    Yes i've now made a note on the book description just to be sure - can you tell me what are the distribution guidelines for the format of your book. i have 72 pages one empty page at the front and a empty page at the end of the book.
    Just to be clear, I don't create colouring books, but my novels are A5 and average around 200 pages. But Title page should be on a right-hand page, so you should have two blanks at the front, and usually two at the back also. Keep in mind page count should be divisible by four also.
  • kazredkazred Reader
    edited July 2018
    Hi Kevin

So two blank pages then followed by the name title page on right side - and the copyright and ISBN page on the fourth page and two blank pages at the end 

So two blank pages

Yes, unless for a hardback, then it needs four.

then followed by the name title page on right side

Due to the preceding two pages being blanks, then the Title will be on the right-hand page after them.

- and the copyright and ISBN page on the fourth page

Yes, on the very next page after the Title page.

and two blank pages at the end.

Indeed. unless for a hardback, then it needs four. :)

Note that the actual sheets of paper are called Leaves. A page is each side of that leaf.

• kazredkazred Reader
    Ok got it, thanks Kevin 
  • I am also creating a coloring book and have a few questions. 1. If I want a drawing on its own page do I create a blank page (pfd) in between each page with a drawing on it? 2. I want this to be a paper back 8.5 x11 spiral bound. Do I need to format my pages smaller? On the builder page it talks about the spine measurements being much larger that 8.5x 11 so I want to make sure things go right. 
  • 1. Yes, you need a blank page behind each drawing; most likely you will print the drawings on the recto (right-hand) pages and leave the verso (left-hand) pages blank.  How you get the blank pages depending on how you're setting up the file.  If each drawing is already a separate PDF and you are assembling them in Acrobat or similar software, then yes, you would insert a blank PDF page (unless the software has special commands to print a page right-hand or something; it's been a long time since I've done this in Acrobat).  If you're using Word, just insert a drawing, then make a new page (Ctrl-Enter) and leave it blank, then another new one for the next drawing.

2. If you already have the drawings at 8.5 x 11", you will need to scale them down slightly since you have to allow for the space taken up by the spiral binding.  If you want 1/2" margins (let's say), you can have that amount at the outer edge, but the inner margin will have to be greater.  Exactly how you perform this scaling will depend, again, on what software you are using.  The Lulu calculators will tell you how much space to allot for the binding; you need that plus whatever actual margin you want (presumably you don't mean the edges of the drawing to nudge right up against the spirals).
    Take note that if you want an ISBN, then the coil bound option cannot have them.