How do I make a Font-Embedded PDF using Microsoft Word?
Before you prepare your Microsoft Word DOCX file for conversion to a PDF, please read our complete PDF Creation Guide:
Please Note: Using Microsoft Word for Mac to create a PDF utilizes Mac's Quartz PDF creator, which can cause issues with printing.
Embedding Fonts with Word for PC
- Go to the File Menu and click 'Save As'
- Select 'PDF' from the Save as type drop down. Click the 'Options' to customize the PDF export settings
- Check the box for 'ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)' and click 'Save'
With the PDF exported as a PDF/A, you can open the file using Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro to verify the fonts are embedded.
- Go to the File Menu and click 'Properties...'
- Select Fonts and verify that all fonts show '(Embedded Subset)'
If your PDF displays all fonts listed as '(Embedded Subset)' your PDF includes all fonts properly and will upload to our Book Creation tool without error.
To learn more about how to prepare your file for print-ready conversion, please review our Interior Formatting FAQ.