Book announcements, #378

It looks like no matter how hard Lulu tries, no matter how blatant they make the instructions, some people are never, ever going to understand not only the rules but the good sense of posting a book announcement properly

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    I think they are in too much of a rush, so they don't have the patience to do it correctly, or simply do not understand how to.
    How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    I think they are in too much of a rush, so they don't have the patience to do it correctly, or simply do not understand how to.
    If the latter, then they are either skipping over the directions Lulu has posted at the very top of the page...or Lulu has failed to make them explicit enough. 
    At times it's impossible to make it explicit enough for some people. Or they just cannot be bothered. What I do miss, though, is in a previous incarnation of the forum it was possible to click on a person's name and it would take you to their Spotlight (Storefront.)
  • SeamusSeamus Reader
    The video goes a little fast, but I guess I could figure it out. Who are the book announcements for anyway? Other authors already on the forum? I don't understand what good it will be doing once it's two pages down from the top. Do consumers browse through the book announcements looking for something to buy?

The video goes a little fast, but I guess I could figure it out.

I have not really looked at it, but I assume it can be paused.

Who are the book announcements for anyway?

No idea!

Other authors already on the forum?

It does only seem to be a section of the forum and not also part of the Shop areas.

I don't understand what good it will be doing once it's two pages down from the top.

I agree.

Do consumers browse through the book announcements looking for something to buy?

I doubt it because it's not part of the Shop. I have often wondered how the New books are picked, though, that feature on the opening screen of Shop. They are not literarily the latest books published on Lulu. They look far to professional for a start.  What is shown also seems to be country specific. There's also a pointless claim there that Lulu is the World's Largest Independent Bookstore. It may be, but unless Lulu advertise that fact elsewhere it's irrelevant.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    Well, one thing Announcements can do is give authors a little practice in promoting their books. If they can't create an effective announcement in the Lulu announcement forum, they probably need to step back and take a good look at what they are doing.
  • SeamusSeamus Reader
    Ok, I get that.