"Image does not fill entire area" error - but image is right size!

Hello, I have had this THREE TIMES now, and this time I am absolutely certain the ebook cover image is the size Lulu demands, i.e. 612px by  792px. The full message I get is:

"Your image does not fill the entire area. This makes your cover contain white space in the unfilled portion. You may need to stretch your cover to fit the marketing image area. The team member who reviewed your eBook added: Your marketing image does not fill the entire area. This makes your cover contain white space in the unfilled portion."

Can anyone tell me what this really means, and best of all, what I can do about it?
Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    That is the right size, so it makes no real sense. What DPI is it? I use 300dpi.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Hi Kevin - well this is odd. These picture properties show the right pixel size but a rather odd value called "print size", which is somewhat alarming, although this image will never be printed, so ordinarily not important. Also the res has defaulted to 288 ppi (dpi). Will try and up it somehow, but this is a nightmare because every time I make a change, it takes them 3 days or more to come back and say "no". (Editor here is GIMP). 

• Does the image have white borders? That can trigger the issue as retailers won't accept a cover thumbnail with white borders - their review process flags the cover as "small".

If you can post the image here, maybe we can sort out why this is happening. The white border issue is the only one I know of that would flag this warning.
    There's one clue there. Try using a jpg rather than a PNG.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Aha - thanks Paul and Kevin. I used a PNG because it's a simple flat colour design, no gradations or shadow etc. But I'll chop off the white border and put it into JPG, then try again ...
    You could also place a thinner black border around the white one.