Smaller books, like Pixi f.eg.

benzigerbenziger Reader
edited May 21 in Suggestions
(This post disappeared after a few minutes, so it's new again.)

Small sized books have to have 32, 48 or 84 pages at least. Only big sized books are available with only a few pages. While a roman has often hundreds of pages, children books and booklets have often only a few pages. That is why I would like to suggest, that the smaller sizes are also available from 20 or 24, maybe 16 pages.

Just as a reminder: With over 2000 different titles in a total circulation of 500 million copies in 60 years, not only in German, but also in English, Danish, French, Chinese, Arabic, Albanian, Dutch, etc., Pixi books (Carlsen Verlag) are probably among the most successful children's books. The equipment: 10x10cm = 4x4 inches, usually 24 pages, bound with staples. That would be my dream format: Well-established, well-known, inexpensive and handy.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Hi Benzinger,

Saddle Stitch and Coil Binding allow for page counts in the range you are looking for.

You can change the binding right above where you would select interior print.
  • benzigerbenziger Reader
    Thank you Taylor, for this fast reply.

Unfortunately, I cannot find really small booklets. Following http://www.lulu.com/create/books, the smallest square is 19x19cm (I suggestet 10x10cm); the smallest (and only) landscape is 22x17cm.

smallest Basis = Digest -> min 84 pages
    smallest Premium = pocket book -> min 40 pages (I asked vor 20 or 24)

The only small format I can find is Premium A5 portrait (from 8 pages, 14x20cm)
    For children books, this could work, if you would also cut it as square (14x14 cm) and print it as lanscape (20x14cm).

Best regards
    Benziger

One of the most famous children's books in Switzerland, "A Bell for Ursli", published in German (32 editions since 1945), French, Italian, Romansh, English, Japanese, etc. is available in three versions:
    • Maxi: A4 landscape, bound;
    • Midi: A5 landscape, tucked, and
    • Mini: a very small pocket edition. The last one convinces only by the price. The pictures are too small and the third time it scrolls, it falls out of the glue.
    But the other two editions show how successful publishers are: A bound original edition, a bit expensive, but beautiful and large. In addition a somewhat smaller, cheaper paperback edition. In terms of Lulu, however, I can only produce the first one. A5 (or comparable imperial format) landscape is clearly missing.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    But no doubt they did not publish them via POD. Interestingly, when logged in as United Kingdom, there is a pocket book size available, and it can have an ISBN.
    How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
    Yes, Kevin, not 10x10, but 10x14 is possible with POD: I just discovered, that other POD services provide a wide range of small booklets, f. eg. epubli:

small ones:
    - "Children book" 148x156mm landscape
    - DIN A5 landscape (as I suggested)

really small ones:
    - DIN A6 portrait
    - DIN A6 landscape

Why this german company can do it and lulu not?

I have no doubt it's due to the old software that Lulu use in their Project Wizards, but, apparently Lulu have just opened another site with 1000s of options. It's mentioned in the posting headers in the forum somewhere.

Of course such problems do not occur with ebooks  :)

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

I have no doubt it's due to the old software that Lulu use in their Project Wizards, but, apparently Lulu have just opened another site with 1000s of options. It's mentioned in the posting headers in the forum somewhere.

Of course such problems do not occur with ebooks  :)

They do not occur with traditionally published books, either, which can be literally any imaginable size and format. Indeed, the options available are almost limitless, including things like mixing different types of paper, embossing, die cutting, foil stamping, etc.
    Indeed, Ron. POD can be a chore at times.