Spam in the forum

It is sad that the current moderators of the forum are not as vigilant about removing spam as the moderators of old were. Sure, the spammers have gotten wiser but if you leave spam up all you are doing is giving rise to the thin edge of the wedge. Soon everyone will be asking a question, or commenting on a formatting issue, etc. only to draw attention to their spam.

Comments

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    As an exercise, I have flagged this post as spam. While you're contemplating that, can I sell you some dubious software? :^)
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Lulu's staff do not work weekends. Often the spammers know that so they post after office closing hours on Friday. We don't get as much spam as we used to, and it's very rare now if they are posted in every single category, and even 'replying' to every single post.
    How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
    And just in case you did not know, this is where the term came from >>  spam with everything  :)
  • If you flag a comment it alerts me and i moderate it, usually within a couple hours. Some weekends I'm unavailable to check the spam queue, but I do generally have a look.

I can up the spam filters, but that runs the risk of catching content that doesn't belong - things like Kevin's video linked above - might be caught and marked.
  • Em_PressEm_Press Publisher
    It's really rare nowadays. The forums are clean.

I'm always looking at this place for updates, information, new ideas and old friends.
     A citizen of the world.

• oncewasoncewas Publisher

The nature of spam has changed. People no longer post links directly in a forum message inviting you to buy the 'best magic witchdoctor pills for a happy love life' but have a link to a commercial site in their signature, and appear to be joining in the conversation, often with no relevance whatsoever to what has already been posted because they don't have the time to read all that.

The only reason that they post anything is in the hope that you will click the link in their signature. Spam is spam; I have seen quite a number of such posts recently. Once people realize they can get away with it there will be many more such posts which will debase any meaningful conversation.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    You have a point, and of course we should flag spam as we see it, to help Paul and the others spot it. On the other hand, if a spammer has to take the time to put his post into context, that makes it harder for him to spread spam -- it's less efficient.

So the loss of efficiency in context-based spam is precisely its downfall.

The nature of spam has changed. People no longer post links directly in a forum message inviting you to buy the 'best magic witchdoctor pills for a happy love life' but have a link to a commercial site in their signature,

I never look at the signature links. Even on my 28" monitor they are small. But some still do include links in their text, and they are often 'masked' links, but a mouseover will often display the real address.

and appear to be joining in the conversation,

Some have always done it that way.

often with no relevance whatsoever to what has already been posted because they don't have the time to read all that.

Unfortunately some do look to be joining in. Even "I agree with the comments above," is 'joining' in.

The only reason that they post anything is in the hope that you will click the link in their signature. Spam is spam; I have seen quite a number of such posts recently. Once people realize they can get away with it there will be many more such posts which will debase any meaningful conversation.

But they always have and possibly always will get away with it. It's very hard to stop humans creating an account and posting messages. Thankfully they are not as common here as they used to be, so are not the problem you make out, really. It was very annoying in the previous forum tool because one could set to be notified by email when a post had been made, only to click the link to the post, to find out it was spam.

It baffles me that marketeers still use such methods because it does not show the company in a good light, and not only that, the mods can go to the site and moan at them, even threaten to sue.