We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

How to upload illustrations for children's book?

I have written a children's story book and am working on the illustrations. When creating my book on LuLu, how should I go about uploading the illustrations? They are hand-drawn by the way.

Answers

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    You need to get something like Word and create a file of pages with your pictures on them. First look at Create to see what sizes are available because you will have to create the pages to one of those sizes. Also if you want an ISBN, check which size/type can have one. Once you have created that file (and best Saved As a PDF) then you upload it to a Project Wizard, starting at Create. Oh, BTW, to get your drawings on to your PC you will need to scan them.
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    To clarify and perhaps expound a bit:

First, consider whether you will be using color pictures or black and white, perhaps line drawings versus shading and color gradients? This will inform your decision as to the type and size of book you select in the first part of the book wizard (color pages or black and white).

If you will be going with color illustrations, and you intend to sell the books yourself (i.e. personally deliver to bookstores, etc.) then you may find a better option in the Lulu Xpress. Pricing there will be a bit more favorable. If you intend to use only black and white, or if you intend to use Lulu distribution and sell through the Lulu website, then the standard Lulu wizard might be a better choice.

For black and white illustrations -- and I'll defer to Ron's opinion if he weighs in on this -- I would suggest that you use a clearly inked outline and cross-hatching instead of shading with grayscale. I may be wrong, but I think that cross-hatching would provide a better resolution when printed.

Second, as Kevin briefly outlined, you would compile the interior section of the book in one of two ways: You can make a single document which includes both the text and the illustrations, or you can make a .pdf text section, a .pdf picture, a .pdf text section, etc., until you have the text only and picture only .pdfs in the order that you would like them.

Having one .pdf with all of your text and illustrations will make it simpler to upload, but having many small files will work provided you upload them in the correct order, from the front of the book to the back.

You can also work in .doc or .docx or even .rtf, with your illustrations embedded into the .doc/x or .rtf file. This can be a bit trickier to manage, as pictures sometimes decide to migrate around.

In either case, you would upload your file(s) when the wizard asks for them. Remember that the files will print first to last. You first uploaded file needs to be your front matter and page 1, your second file might be illustration 1 that serves as page 8, then the text file for pages 9 through 14, illustration on page 15, test 16 - 22 ... You get the idea. The order you upload is the order they print.

Next, once you've uploaded the files and the wizard turns them into a print-ready interior, make sure that you download the file (it will be a PDF) and examine it closely before continuing. You can go back, delete files, add new files, or remove them all and start over if necessary.

Finally, once the wizard has made you print-ready interior, it will ask you to either make a cover or to upload a cover. Pay attention to the size (in points or pixels) and make sure that your cover matches those numbers or is just a tiny bit bigger.

Again, in my humble opinion, high contrast and well-defined edges in your illustrations and on your cover will bring the best results. There was one individual once who tried to make a cover using colored pencils, with only the change of color to show different objects. It didn't work well, because the picture as a whole seemed like a blur. Also, it had no strong contrast, so most of us had no idea what it was supposed to be.

I hope that helps.