How do I get a Copyright?

I'm a new author and have very little experience with the legal side of things. I've seen that a Copyright page is required. How do I obtain the Copyright for my own work?

Best Answers

• Joe_Bondi_BeachJoe_Bondi_Beach San Francisco Bay Area Author
    Accepted Answer
    SLKillian said:
    I'm a new author and have very little experience with the legal side of things. I've seen that a Copyright page is required. How do I obtain the Copyright for my own work?
    You are the copyright holder of your own work, unless you've affirmatively assigned the copyright to someone else. Lulu's page here has the details.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Accepted Answer

As that Lulu page states, once you create something in to something tangible (not just in your head in other words) then it's automatically copyrighted by some worldwide agreements. A copyright page is to name you as the copyright holder. (There are example ones on line.) However, some people do register their copyrights as a safeguard. It's particularly recommended in the USA. But do beware that there are 1000s of places on line who will take money off you to Register your copyrights, which have no actual use in law. They are worthless and pointless. This is useful info >>   https://www.gov.uk/copyright 

Incidentally. There are many Far Eastern countries that turn a blind eye to infringements.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

Answers

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Creator
    I used to mail a disc with my book to my own address as recorded delivery which is tamper proof. Not any longer. What Kevin says makes sense.  

No Hulsey, you are right, that's no longer recommended. What is possible proof nowadays is the time stamps Saves create on PCs, but not always if one keeps editing the file.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• RachelLawsonRachelLawson Melbourne, Australia Reader
    another useful thing is https://allpoetry.com/ the work you do has copyright on the page autmatically I post my work all over the web I sometimes use createspace who conduct the spanish inquisition every time I publish I say the same thing check out my copyrights on my allpoety pages I write poetry yes I wright other styles there too mostly short stories people there are very nice.

That's not proof of ownership Rachel, that's only proof that you posted there and said you had the right to. They never check ... (And neither does Amazon. Or Lulu for that matter.)

That's a very annoying site BTW! When one is trying to scroll down the page looking for a site copyright and disclaimers, etc., it just continues to place in poems down the side!

But I have just looked at a few poems there and there's no sign of a copyright, and all that the open an account, including a poem, fill in page, asks, is Are You A Robot.