What about converting comic books into EPUB? Need help with a rejection.

MalGVMalGV Reader
Hey everyone. Here's yet another thread asking for help with converting work into EPUB.

Before I started this thread, I read through the eBook Discussions threads, trying to figure this out on my own but with only marginal success. I managed to drop down the amount of Errors with my conversions from from 7 to 3. However, I noticed that there are not a lot of people discussing how to convert image-based books instead of purely Text-based books.

Here is the screenshot of the results of my second attempt to convert my comic:

All the pages of my comic are compressed, large file, high-resolution images. Any text you see is a part of the whole image. All the files are 24-PNGs.

What is epubcheck-3.0.1?
How can I get a publication date "XML"?
How can I get a publisher "XML"?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It's recommended that not only should any images not be too large, but should also not be above 72dpi. Imagine someone trying to read it on a smartphone. They should really also be jpgs.

I am not sure what it's on about with XML, but everything has to match throughout the Project. Is the Publisher name the same on the copyright page as you entered at the start? Same with publication date. It's just a thought, but is that the same on your Copyright page as the date you actually put it through the Wizard?

One problem can be that some errors will sort of 'hide' and throw up ones that are not really errors.

BTW, do you have a TOC etc?

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • MalGVMalGV Reader
    edited April 12
    @Just Kevin

HEAVY EDIT: I read over what you wrote and I figured out a way to get it to accept my work. I made the images smaller and saved them again under JPEG. I also went back into Wizard and filled in some slots that I hadn't gotten to with matching info. But what really saved it was I figured out a way to get it to accept comic images when inserted under a different format. Thank you for your help!

• All ebooks must have a table of contents. It's also important to draw a distinction between "Header" and "Heading."

A Header is the block of space at the top of a page that isn't part of the body and generally contains content like page numbering or title/author info.

A Heading is a style. Most word processors use style based formatting (you'll notice the "Style" bar in Word's ribbon) to define how text looks. For an EPUB, you should use Heading 1, 2, and 3, as well as the Normal style. Any other style in use can cause errors when converting.

When we process a file from DOCX into an EPUB, our converter looks for Heading styles and uses them to generate a table of contents. Heading 1 is the required style for your book's title, and when converting from DOCX, the title (in Heading 1) must be the first line of text on the first page.

Because a reader can't "flip" through an ebook easily, the table of contents is required to give users the ability to navigate. The title in Heading 1 alone is enough to satisfy this requirement, though it is very much recommended that you add additional Heading styles to give readers nav points they can easily locate.

Here's a more in depth guide to creating an EPUB from a DOCX. I strongly recommend reading this guide, as there are a number of important technical steps to take when creating a file for conversion to EPUB.
  • Em_PressEm_Press Professor
    Make your title Heading 1.
    Make all images jpeg, 6 inches in height, maximum, 150 dpi.
    100% it will be accepted.
     A citizen of the world.

• wildwindwildwind Creator

Maggie

Please can you help? I made my pictures 6 inches tall at 150 dpi. Each image was therefore 675 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall, or 4.5 by 6 inches. I made my Word document 5.5 x 7 inches with half an inch border and inserted the jpeg images. When I uploaded the file to Kindle the pictures were the size of a postage stamp instead of filling the screen. What am I doing wrong?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Are you using some add on to read an ePub on a Kindle?
    How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!