My second Book

MickyMarchMickyMarch March, Cambridgeshire Reader
I wonder if any of my old friends remember my first novel  Rockyboy2 The Quest for the million Nine years later I have finaly got a new one out Rockyboy2 The Quest to save the World appreciate reviews and comments

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Ermm, no link? But sorry, I have no idea who you are and I have been here over eight years.
    How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    I wonder if any of my old friends remember my first novel  Rockyboy2 The Quest for the million Nine years later I have finaly got a new one out Rockyboy2 The Quest to save the World appreciate reviews and comments

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rockyboy2

I looked at the formatting, typography, and so on for the first book since it had a preview. I'll have to take a pass on buying the second book as I sincerely doubt you'd care for me to review it.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    I've said it before: If an author cannot write a sensible, grammatical paragraph describing their book there is not much chance of me wanting to read the book itself.
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    Um... yeah. How about them Dodgers? that ManU, what?
    I thought it was just me being harsh.
    It appears to be written in the manner he speaks, init. It can sometimes work.
  • MickyMarchMickyMarch March, Cambridgeshire Reader
    You have not read my book so keep your silly comments to yourself
    ,Alsomy first book which was no where near as good as this one recieved excellent reviews even from an english teacher
    When you ask people to review your work you invite all manner of comments, from silly to acerbic. There was no specification that all comments be complimentary and / or favorable.

Since the work in question is print version only you can expect people to look at the preview before buying a copy. A price of US$ 9.77 may not seem like much, but a lot of buyers do like to be able to look at what they're buying first.

Lacking a preview for the work in question, don't be surprised if potential reviewers look to your other work for an example of what is being bought.

If you got excellent reviews on your first book, good for you. If an English teacher gave you an excellent review, good for you.

Per my earlier comment: "I looked at the formatting, typography, and so on for the first book since it had a preview. I'll have to take a pass on buying the second book as I sincerely doubt you'd care for me to review it."
    ,Alsomy first book which was no where near as good as this one recieved excellent reviews even from an english teacher

At least one of the books has a Preview, but as usual, if one does not like any comments, then do not ask for them.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    edited March 22
    You asked people to review and comment on your new book...but made it impossible to do so without first buying one. This is not how it is done. You should make at least the first chapter of your book available. (Traditional publishers will send an entire book to a reviewer, so you can see how asking for just one chapter is more than fair.)

Yes, your first book did get some positive reviews, but that doesn't mean that everyone is obligated to agree. And it is not necessary for anyone to read an entire book in order to have some idea of its quality. It is one the main reasons that most publishers will ask to see only the first chapter of a submitted book rather than the whole thing. If the first chapter is terrible there is not much chance of the rest of the book being any better. 

So I looked at the preview of your first book. The writing is not bad at all, but the book suffers in exactly the way Papi_Soñoliento pointed out. He was perfectly correct in pointing out problems with formatting and typography. These are very real. While I understand and appreciate the style of the book, there are issues with punctuation, etc. that this cannot excuse. These things don't add to the distinctive character of your book. Instead, they look like nothing other than what they are: mistakes. And while no book is totally error-free, there are just too many of them in this case. (Even your English teacher commented on the many "odd syntax errors.") Your book would have benefited greatly from help from an objective editor.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    I agree with Ron, and I'd like to point out a couple of those items you should address:

1. Paragraphs need to have indentation on the first line.
    2. Consistency in spelling, such as "teddy boy" => Teddyboy.
    3. You should use full justification.
    4. All of the story should have the same font size.
    5. Things such as "Quest for the million" probably have no real associations for people who are not seventy-something Glaswegians.
    &c.

These are not fatal flaws. They can be fixed. But it's a serious repair job needed. As Ron said, the writing's not bad. It's in proper English sentences with normal English usage and somewhat conventional spelling. But I'd never have expected that based on the blurb.