children's stories

Hi, 
I write stories to be read aloud to children. These are not picture books. How can I sell these books without pictures if for children. The ages are for between 5 and 9 . I also have had to do all of my formatting and editing. They have all been published here. My books are under Janice Engle . I would like some advice please.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

An ISBN always helps, then your book will be listed on, at the very least, Amazon.

You say they are to be read aloud? But children are learning to read from 5 and can read by 9, usually. With the large font you are using it looks as if they are also for children to read for themselves as they learn. At least up to perhaps the age of 7 where beyond that they are often reading books with 'normal' sized fonts. So perhaps create the stories (you have a few books) for different age ranges?

The cover of this > http://www.lulu.com/shop/janice-engle/meet-little-mouse/paperback/product-20446020.html  (published 2006?!) leaves a lot to be desired, and the copyright should not be on the back cover. That's the place for some blurb about the story, and perhaps about yourself, too.

As to how to sell more? That is a huge subject.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/janice-engle/meet-little-mouse/paperback/product-20446020.html

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    I have to agree with Kevin.

And even if the books are meant to be read aloud (or, as Kevin suggests, based on the ages the books are meant for) read by the child, they would be greatly enhanced by even simple illustrations. A child would find the books to be a lot more attractive and a lot more fun.

Besides, since the books are going to be purchased by adults, they need to be much more eye-catching. They certainly need much more interesting covers. Your Rainbow Stories book is a very good example! Look at how it pops out from this page compared to the other books!

One thing I would suggest doing is to visit a library or bookstore and take a good look at how similar books are done by traditional publishers. I am talking about things like formatting, choice of typeface, etc. Find a book you like and then follow its example.
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    When a child beginning to read the illustrations can serve to provide them with a contextual reference for the text, in essence helping them connect the images they see with the images the words are meant to convey. This is why many beginning texts that help a child learn individual words have the word and the image that goes with the word.

Some children will dive into reading quickly, others have to be coaxed. My four-year-old taught herself how to read, but she still wants someone to read to her at times. She sees a book meant for adults [sans illustrations] and she quickly balks due to the 'big words' she hasn't learned how to sound out even if she can and does regularly use them.

As Ron stated, it's about making the process fun for the child.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

To be honest some of your other books are better examples than the one listed at the top. They have actual cover images and decent blurb on the back cover.

What happened to the person who did the cover for Rainbow's Stories?

For very young children the illustrations don't need to be complex. Here's a top selling example >  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Worlds-Worst-Children-David-Walliams/dp/0008197040/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1520952643&sr=1-8 How Amazon sectionalise age groups is a guide too.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/childrens-books/b?ie=UTF8&node=69  Note the type of books they are looking at and even at what age they may be reading at.

BTW. You are the publisher of your books, not Lulu.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!