We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Typos

13»

Comments

• Joe_Bondi_BeachJoe_Bondi_Beach San Francisco Bay Area Creator
    edited May 2018

Reading aloud or in one's head surely does not 'vocalise' where missing punctuation may be, or where it could be improved. [...]

And yet, when I read my own stuff aloud I pause too often at a comma, and often as well where a comma should be but isn't.

For me, reading aloud curbs my over-enthusiastic use of the comma because I see—or hear, as it were—how the cadence of a sentence is broken by excessive comma use more easily than when I read silently. I also see where I've run together so much that it turns to mush.

(ETA: I don't claim, and I do not believe anyone else who has offered his experience of reading aloud, reading backwards, reading on a screen, reading in print, whatever, has claimed is the only way or even a complete way to edit or proof. It is an additional tool, one some find more effective than others.)

Of course, there are times when some language stops me dead, punctuation or not and whether I'm reading aloud or not. Ex.: "Dominika ran the edge of her will rasping across the whetstone of her mind." [Jason Matthews, Palace of Treason] As my wife said, that must have hurt.
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    Rabbit holes. They're popping up all over. Pesky things must be breeding like rab... like bunnies.
    "Dominika ran the edge of her will rasping across the whetstone of her mind." -ibid.

The whetstone of the mind... Wasn't that an episode of Star Trek? And it's possible that her will (and testament) gave the whetstone a paper-cut...
    Skoob_ym said:
    "Dominika ran the edge of her will rasping across the whetstone of her mind." -ibid.

The whetstone of the mind... Wasn't that an episode of Star Trek? And it's possible that her will (and testament) gave the whetstone a paper-cut...
    Ouch! and touché about the rabb..., er, bunnies, too.
    Skoob_ym said:

It was "Elusive Butterfly of Love" by Bob Lind:
    "Echo softly in the distance through the whetstone of your mind..."
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

And yet, when I read my own stuff aloud I pause too often at a comma, and often as well where a comma should be but isn't.

For me, reading aloud curbs my over-enthusiastic use of the comma because I see—or hear, as it were—how the cadence of a sentence is broken by excessive comma use more easily than when I read silently. I also see where I've run together so much that it turns to mush.

But when you are reading just 'in your head' it's also your own 'voice' that you hear. I am sure when typing your replies you do not say the words out loud.

(ETA: I don't claim, and I do not believe anyone else who has offered his experience of reading aloud, reading backwards, reading on a screen, reading in print, whatever, has claimed is the only way or even a complete way to edit or proof. It is an additional tool, one some find more effective than others.)

That is possibly true, but it's just psychological. Shall I say it's all in the mind?  :)

Skoob_ym said:

It was "Elusive Butterfly of Love" by Bob Lind:
    "Echo softly in the distance through the whetstone of your mind..."
    Now I have Seals and Croft's Summer Breeze blowin' through the whetstone in my mind...

13»