Buying Books

I was in a bookstore recently and despite the pretty covers, books laid out at eye level, and being able to handle the books, nothing, but nothing, could entice me to buy a book. The next day I was in another bookstore and they had loads of books that interested me and I bought two, and had to restrain myself from buying more.

Yes, the covers had a part to play in catching my eye, but it was the subject matter that made me decide to buy.

The POD authors who are battling to get their books into bricks and mortar bookstores might want to ponder on this.

Actually, self-published authors would do best sticking to niches. Every man and his dog has published a book about nuclear meltdown, good versus evil, and end of the world scenarios. Fiction itself is not a particularly good field for POD; you are competing against millions and millions of other books and it is hard to make any headway. Why do so many 'so called' celebrities publish fiction? Because they can sell loads of books, based on their fame rather than the merit of the work.

Specialize, branch out and investigate every tiny niche and possibility and you might start making some sales.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I was in a bookstore recently and despite the pretty covers, books laid out at eye level, and being able to handle the books, nothing, but nothing, could entice me to buy a book. The next day I was in another bookstore and they had loads of books that interested me and I bought two, and had to restrain myself from buying more.

That is peculiar, because most bookshops usually stock the same books.

Yes, the covers had a part to play in catching my eye, but it was the subject matter that made me decide to buy.

Indeed, I often say the same. To me, if I have not already heard of the book or the writer, then the blurb on the back cover is often more important than the cover art. The latter may entice you to pick the book up, but it's the blurb that makes you look further in to buying it. 

The POD authors who are battling to get their books into bricks and mortar bookstores might want to ponder on this.

They have to get their books in to stores before people who buy from those stores, sees the book. That's the battle. Which often means creating a demand so that a book store will stock it. This does not just apply to POD writers.

Actually, self-published authors would do best sticking to niches.

It depends on that niche. And niches often mean not as many people interested.

Every man and his dog has published a book about nuclear meltdown, good versus evil, and end of the world scenarios.

And they still do, and the famous names who have written such stuff often still do so, and do very well, thanks. A 'name'  can sell a book often regardless of it being the same old stuff. (Some often accuse them of using find and change (names etc) software to 'write' their stuff.)

Fiction itself is not a particularly good field for POD;

It's not that good for any method of publishing really. Cook books often make the top sellers lists, usually by 'celebrity chefs'. Fiction that reaches the top spots are often a tip of the iceberg anomaly. Some often have amazing sales figures, but they are over many many years, not by reaching number 1.

you are competing against millions and millions of other books and it is hard to make any headway.

Indeed. But that applies to all manner of publishing methods. POD's 'handicap' is that it's an expensive way of creating a book, making it hard to 'compete' with mass produced books.

Why do so many 'so called' celebrities publish fiction? Because they can sell loads of books, based on their fame rather than the merit of the work.

Indeed, but some of them are A rated celebrities and people wish to read their stuff, and some writers become the same. Fame helps sell things.

Specialize, branch out and investigate every tiny niche and possibility and you might start making some sales.

It's not as simplistic as you make out.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!