Our printers are currently working through record volume for the current academic year. This has, in some cases, caused print times to be extended beyond our regular expectations. Our printers have been working additional shifts and are steadily catching up. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your patience.

Pocketbook ISBN

Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
I was wondering if there are any plans to introduce the ISBN for the Pocketbook format.

The old FAQ mentioned the 4.25"x6.86" size might be sold on Amazon, but I was wondering why it didn't qualify for other distribution channels.

Comments

• Don't quote me on this, but I believe our long term plan involves offering ISBNs much more broadly.

The restriction we have now are largely due to retailer restrictions. If it were up to us, we'd let any put an ISBN on anything and send it to retail channels.
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Ah, outlet restrictions makes sense. While the POD pocket size might not be as cheaply produced as the mass market version, it is a format many buyers prefer.

Once the different e-commerce gee-haws are in place then the indie publisher would be the retailer and the ISBN would help.

That being the case perhaps I'll wait a bit before diving into reformatting for pocketbook, as it can be a bit of a pain going from a larger size to a smaller.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Hrrm, that's odd. Most of my early books here were Pocket books and they have ISBNs. If you set Create to GB, then the Pocketbook option is still listed and can have ISBNs.  To be honest I now prefer A5, more words per page for a start, so cheaper to create, and most of the books I own are larger than pocketbooks because that's what seems to be on sale. But I am in the UK, so things may be different here. Perhaps pocketbooks are no longer needed because all one has to do is buy an ebook for one's smartphone?

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• There are some variations in product availability by region, most notable between the US and UK. For both, a perfect bound, black & white on white set up for pocket book should provide the option to add an ISBN
    Seeing that Lulu's concept is to have a book printed as close as possible to the order address, that it's irrelevant where the book was created in the first place? So should all Create options not be the same for each country?

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

I just checked again. For the perfect bound black & white on white pocket book my options are either sell on Lulu or available only to me. The option to get the ISBN to sell on Amazon et all is greyed out and won't allow me to select it.
    Paul_Lulu said:
    There are some variations in product availability by region, most notable between the US and UK. For both, a perfect bound, black & white on white set up for pocket book should provide the option to add an ISBN

• Seeing that Lulu's concept is to have a book printed as close as possible to the order address, that it's irrelevant where the book was created in the first place? So should all Create options not be the same for each country?
    Yes. And it is infuriating daily to our customer service team that this variance exists. It's tied to the retail distribution rules for different countries/regions.
  • I just checked again. For the perfect bound black & white on white pocket book my options are either sell on Lulu or available only to me. The option to get the ISBN to sell on Amazon et all is greyed out and won't allow me to select it.
    Paul_Lulu said:
    There are some variations in product availability by region, most notable between the US and UK. For both, a perfect bound, black & white on white set up for pocket book should provide the option to add an ISBN

I just had a customer service rep pull up the most recent book started in your account and it looks like it is set to "Standard" and not "Premium".

My fingers are crossed that changing it to premium will work and the book wizard won't prove me a fool.
    That actually did work, though I had to tunnel down before I found the pocketbook option.

The reason the project was set to Standard was due to the fact Premium doesn't show pocketbook as an option at the top, or at least it doesn't on my pizza box.

When you revamp the book wizard process it might help if the programmers have a few end-users do beta testing before finalizing the design.
    Paul_Lulu said:
    I just checked again. For the perfect bound black & white on white pocket book my options are either sell on Lulu or available only to me. The option to get the ISBN to sell on Amazon et all is greyed out and won't allow me to select it.
    Paul_Lulu said:

I just had a customer service rep pull up the most recent book started in your account and it looks like it is set to "Standard" and not "Premium".

My fingers are crossed that changing it to premium will work and the book wizard won't prove me a fool.

The old Create area was better. Every option was as plain as day, and the Create This button was not half way down the options page, giving the impression there's no more options!

• That actually did work, though I had to tunnel down before I found the pocketbook option.

The reason the project was set to Standard was due to the fact Premium doesn't show pocketbook as an option at the top, or at least it doesn't on my pizza box.

When you revamp the book wizard process it might help if the programmers have a few end-users do beta testing before finalizing the design.
    Paul_Lulu said:
    Paul_Lulu said:

Everyone in house knows just how disjointed and cumbersome the current Create page is. One feature we added with xPress and will likely use in all future iterations is to remove the option for book size and just detect the size based on the pages you upload.

So for example, you upload a book within the page specs for a Pocket Book, and we only show you the binding/paper/color options that correspond.
    Since some people use some very different software to produce their upload files, it might be simpler to have the size selections available per the end-user's area then show binding/paper/color options after a size is selected.

My experience back in the day was that some end-users [with very little to no effort] could find very creative ways to completely hose seemingly fool-proof automated processes.

and just detect the size based on the pages you upload.

Is that an option?! What POD machines are they using?

Have you seen Blurb's tool? It can be downloaded, but will only upload to Blurb, but all the available sizes are built in to it. One just selects one and off you go.