Our printers are currently working through record volume for the current academic year. This has, in some cases, caused print times to be extended beyond our regular expectations. Our printers have been working additional shifts and are steadily catching up. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your patience.

How do I convert my print book to ebook?

Comments

• Here's a quick guide we made for just such an occasion - Print to Ebook

At the most basic level, you'll want to take your source file in MS Word, strip the formatting, and go through and add Heading styles to assign content to the Table of Contents. Here's our more in depth guide for eBook creation.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    edited February 14
    There's a possibly simpler way.1. Open your Print File in MS Word a. Select all the contents and Copy all text. It will only copy the body text.Paste to a very simple Word Processor such as Notepad. Open and name a new blank file (any sized page will do.) Copy the text from Notepad and paste it to the blank pages in your new file. That will strip all the formatting, headers, footers, page numbers, etc., etc. 2. Update the Copyright page to include your new ISBN 3. Set the title, copyright, dedication, and any other front matter to Heading Style 1To pass the TOC rules, those are all you need to set as being in the TOC. 4. Set all Chapter titles to Heading 2.Or one can simply apply bold to them. Leaving the font size alone. But if this means to also add them to the TOC, then I also use Heading Style 1, otherwise they will end up as subtitles in the TOC. 5. Remove all Header/Footer contentAchieved by doing the above. 6. Remove all Text BoxesThere should now not be any. 7. Set all images ‘in line’ with text, and all text justification should be set to the ‘left.’I don't have any images in mine, but they will not normally have been carried over when coping and pasting the text. But for an ePub they need to be resized anyway, before pasting back. The convertor will also set them to central, anyway. You will have a bit of fiddling to do to get your text as you wish it.The cover for your ebook can be the same as your print.

8. Isolate the front cover in a separate file

a. Size it to 792x612 pixelsDoing that may distraught an image that is not to that ratio, so you may have to create a blank black image to that size and then paste your original cover image on to it, then adjust it to fit, while keeping the original ratio. Then Flatten all layers. b. Set the resolution between 72-150dpiI ignore that and upload 300dpi images because that's what I work to. The Cover Wizard seems able to handle it. Follow the remaining steps in the Lulu publishing wizard to complete an ebook version of your book!(Hrrm. When I post this it also removes all the formatting from it! Sorry!)

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Paul_Lulu said:
    Here's a quick guide we made for just such an occasion - Print to Ebook

At the most basic level, you'll want to take your source file in MS Word, strip the formatting, and go through and add Heading styles to assign content to the Table of Contents. Here's our more in depth guide for eBook creation.
    Thanks Paul! :) I will try it.