What happened to our titles?

2»

Comments

• Em_Press said:
    JesusNinja, Your comments are so smooth. It makes me happy to read them.
    On another note, I had an idea for you early in the morning about a month ago. Print your name, TheJesusNinja, on a T-Shirt and sell them online and on Amazon if you can.

I believe it was an inspired idea and a gift for you.

There are online companies which do this. Good luck. :)
       I was just looking at some online printers that do it for free. Not sure what audience I would target with that though. But I do like the idea and will go with it soon.
  • Em_PressEm_Press Publisher
    In the meantime there has to be some kind of quicker trick. 

I was expecting the steps this time so it wasn't so bad, but a new user would just be confused/annoyed.

Have a nice weekend, Paul.
  • Kevin, was that me? Hmm...Facebook...I don't know yet if it's helpful, but I'm addicted.

It possibly was Maggie. There are a lot of reader and writer groups on it, but so many have not been active for years. Just like a lot of other accounts. But I also find it uncomfortable asking people I do not know to be my 'Friend'. It would also be very useful if pages actually told one how many times a posting had been viewed. I guess one could get addicted to seeing even more pictures of cats 

How Do. Take a seat.
  • I am always logged in when I visit the forum, but in the last version of it it seemed to be two separate sites, and when one moved back to Lulu content it would log you out of the forum! At times, visiting the forum logged in via Lulu's main log in page, it would log you out of Lulu content! Is that still what is happening?

One other thing I noticed is that a lot of people arrived here via any search engine. They would type in some generic question about fonts, or any other self-publishing thing, and it would find the word or words in the forum, they would click the link and end up in the posting to do with it. Then they would continue to question not realising they are on a self-publishing site. They seemed able to post even without a Lulu account. Are both those occurrences still possible?

How Do. Take a seat.
    I see the "2 new" yellow tab only when I'm logged in. It's enticing. Would be good to see it even when not logged in.

Kevin, strangely what I'm enjoying the most at FB are the West Island Community postings. Local people asking questions, tips, advice. It fascinates me and they're real. My neighbours. Plus I found someone to shovel my lot really quickly, a good place to do my hair, found out about a local dance studio and all kinds of stuff.

Try joining a local group. You might enjoy it more.

As for Google searches, I don't think lulu forums posts reach Google anymore.
    They do everything. Like Lulu except it's T-Shirts. Good reviews.
  • Kevin, strangely what I'm enjoying the most at FB are the West Island Community postings. Local people asking questions, tips, advice. It fascinates me and they're real. My neighbours. Plus I found someone to shovel my lot really quickly, a good place to do my hair, found out about a local dance studio and all kinds of stuff.

I don't need an on-line site to know and find such things. I can do it the old-school way.  :)

How Do. Take a seat.
  • A shame that the Agree button has gone.
    How Do. Take a seat.
  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin
    edited February 12
    Maggie - I didn't realize the "new" wasn't showing up for guests. I assume it's a cookie issue (the browser) not realizing what the guest has and has not seen. I'll look into this more, I might be able to implement something that triggers the label based on a time frame.
    Kevin - I turned Agree back on. The set up wanted me to replace it to add Thank You, but I got around it by making an entirely new button for the Thank You
  • I am always logged in when I visit the forum, but in the last version of it it seemed to be two separate sites, and when one moved back to Lulu content it would log you out of the forum! At times, visiting the forum logged in via Lulu's main log in page, it would log you out of Lulu content! Is that still what is happening?

One other thing I noticed is that a lot of people arrived here via any search engine. They would type in some generic question about fonts, or any other self-publishing thing, and it would find the word or words in the forum, they would click the link and end up in the posting to do with it. Then they would continue to question not realising they are on a self-publishing site. They seemed able to post even without a Lulu account. Are both those occurrences still possible?

The old forum had a cumbersome log in system that required a unique profile and log in before each entrance. This new tool only requires a display name, everything else is pulled from your Lulu account.

As such, guests cannot post - they can only view. Registering on the Forums is actually registering on Lulu. There is the weird loop Maggie mentioned that isn't redirecting people from Log in/Register back to the page they were on, but we're working on that.

• BTW. Why cannot Agree, Like, and Thank You all be clicked instead of just one selection. There's times clicking all two or three would be valid.
    How Do. Take a seat.
    Thank you, Paul.
  • I see no ranks at all using Android.

ScriptureBasedColouringBooks
    Within these colouring books you will find scripture or prayers in large letters that you can colour in to experience God's words in yet one more way. It will give you a beautiful moment to pause and stop thinking of the worries of life, a moment to do something meaningful and relaxing. You can colour in one word or one page a day. Some books contain, in addition to the actual scripture or prayer, Christian crosses, ornamental first letter or peace-inspiring mandalas as in the Psalms book. Colour pencils or crayons recommended. Product information. 8.5x11 paperback, 60# white interior paper, black ink outline, glossy cover finish, perfect bound.

• I own a large Android Smartphone and also an even larger Tablet, but I have never looked at Lulu's site using them. In fact for a good many on-line things I prefer the 28" monitor on my desktop PC, which runs Windows. As far as I recall from creating my own website, the pages also had to be set up to be viewed on a Smartphone. Thankfully the host ran the coding through some tool to achieve that. Once done the pages for a Smartphone did not look much like the ones for a 'real' PC. I have noticed that on some sites viewed on an Android device, but apparently not adjusted for such, one has to use the Zoom to be able to read the text, and also to get the buttons to work!
    How Do. Take a seat.
  • It looks like the ranks on mobile are stripped out. The theme we use is called "lithe" which seems to signify a significant amount of "thinning" to make the mobile site cleaner.

I could switch us to the basic mobile theme, but the menu for this one is pretty awful.
  • Hmm...a lot of people are using phone these days for web browsing. Is it possible to keep this but unstrip? Maybe they'll come up with an update in near future.

ScriptureBasedColouringBooks
    Within these colouring books you will find scripture or prayers in large letters that you can colour in to experience God's words in yet one more way. It will give you a beautiful moment to pause and stop thinking of the worries of life, a moment to do something meaningful and relaxing. You can colour in one word or one page a day. Some books contain, in addition to the actual scripture or prayer, Christian crosses, ornamental first letter or peace-inspiring mandalas as in the Psalms book. Colour pencils or crayons recommended. Product information. 8.5x11 paperback, 60# white interior paper, black ink outline, glossy cover finish, perfect bound.

• Smartphones are a lot more powerful than they used to be and mobiledata signals are much faster, so perhaps sites no longer need to also be set up for viewing on Smartphones? Some sites appear to give the option of viewing as per on a Smartphone or as a 'normal' site. One thing I have noticed is that Flash is not resident on many Android Smartphones. Can our Previews be seen on them? One thing I realised with my own site (which was often accused of being 'basic') was it needed to be set up to be viewed via any power of PC at any internet speed, because not all of the world is using fast speeds or PCs. The hidden tracker on my site showed me that that was indeed the case.
    How Do. Take a seat.
  • I just checked on my Android and it gave me an option to get Flash but wouldn't open the preview otherwise.
    With the Community mobile site, there should be a link in the menu for "Full Site" but it does not translate terribly well to mobile.
    I think I'll just have to look into a better solution for mobile.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Flash is a bit like the house-guest who refuses to leave after the welcome is gone.
    Using fullbsite now. Now usable
    Not usable
  • I had Flash disabled in Firefox a few weeks ago. The site would not open and had many problems. I had to restart flash to get it to work. So I just left on.
  • We're completely abandoning Flash in all new tools and pages we create. I think because of that we're not updating the current preview functionality because working with Flash is about as much fun as pulling teeth.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Dealing with either Flash or tooth extraction prompts me to write a book titled "Mein Kampf und Mein Kinder".
    Paul_Lulu said:
    We're completely abandoning Flash in all new tools and pages we create. I think because of that we're not updating the current preview functionality because working with Flash is about as much fun as pulling teeth.

• We're rebuilding the cover wizard entirely.

If you go check out Lulu xPress and just create a project/upload an interior, you'll see the earliest stages. I know this cover wizard is no where near what a normal Lulu user needs or expects, but it's a first step.

What I've heard is that we want to try to build a WYSIWYG cover tool - essentially a visible template with spine and barcode defined that you can add color too, drag and drop images and add text boxes. Something like the way Canva works. I have no definitive sense of where we are with that though.
  • Many sites are ditching Flash in favour of some type of new HTML, but it will be a long time before they all do.
    How Do. Take a seat.
2»