Using iStudio to typeset my mom's book for her 65th birthday

I am typesetting my mom's book as a present for her birthday.  She used to be in publishing in the '80s but I am not.  I'm trying to get the master pages set and I found a few articles.  She wants 6x9 and I set the margins to 6.25 x 9.25 so the cover can bleed to the edges.

Edit:  I started using iStudio but it doesn't have proper master pages or automatic kerning, so I think we're not going to use it.  My mom would like to avoid the MS Word look, but does not want to pay for Adobe (InSight?).  I might pay for it though if it's what everyone else uses.  

I'm trying to follow http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Mandatory-Print-Book-Distribution-Requirements/ta-p/33632 but it doesn't list some things like gutters.  It also doesn't let me know what is "normal" for things like margins and gutters even though it lists a few minimum requirements.  It says the margins must be a minimum of .5", but iStudio defaulted to .750 and the book she paid someone else to typeset 9 years ago has 1 inch margins.

Questions:

What program should I be using for this?  Quark?  LaTeX?  Adobe?  OpenOffice?

Without having master pages, how much time will it take to typeset a book that will probably be 200 pages on 6x9?  

Are there any margins/gutters/headers/footers/blah blah blah that I want to get set properly before I start?

What gives MS Word documents their look as opposed to professionally typeset books?

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I use Word 97 and Distiller, others use OO or LO Writer and Cute PDF or DoPDF, still others use Word Perfect. You don't have to have high-end software to do it.

Page Size 6x9 means 6x9, as 6.25x9.25 will be compressed to 6x9 by Lulu's software. The cover is uploaded separately.

Screenshot from 2017-10-07 11-51-15.png

Margins as above would work (applied to the entire document), though you would want your gutter around 0.20" for a 200 page book.

Embed fonts in use before distilling.

AnticsPublishin wrote:

I am typesetting my mom's book as a present for her birthday.  She used to be in publishing in the '80s but I am not.  I'm trying to get the master pages set and I found a few articles.  She wants 6x9 and I set the margins to 6.25 x 9.25 so the cover can bleed to the edges.

I'm trying to follow http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Mandatory-Print-Book-Distribution-Requirements/ta-p/33632 but it doesn't list some things like gutters.  It also doesn't let me know what is "normal" for things like margins and gutters even though it lists a few minimum requirements.  It says the margins must be a minimum of .5", but iStudio defaulted to .750 and the book she paid someone else to typeset 9 years ago has 1 inch margins.

Also I'm trying to learn about master pages.  According to this https://www.istudiopublisher.com/help-pages/pgs/master-pages.html iStudio does not support using different master pages for different interior pages.  That doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't the first page of a chapter use the same master page?

Questions:

1.  Is iStudio a suitable program for lulu, or do a majority of people use something else?  She is not interested in paying for the Adobe one, but I would possibly pay for it if it's what everyone else uses.   She also feels MS Word / Mac pages is not appropriate for publishing, is that still true?

2.  Without having master pages, how much time will it take to typeset a book that will probably be 200 pages on 6x9?  

3.  If I finish this project in iStudio and export it to PDF, could I later use a different PDF editor to get the information?

4.  Are there any margins/gutters/headers/footers/blah blah blah that I want to get set properly before I start?

Thanks,

Scott

• MS Word and InDesign are the most popular choices. I would avoid Apple software, as their PDF export will often create a file that cannot be normalized, and therefore not made print-ready.
    Unless your book includes a lot of design elements, images, or complex layout, Word is probably the best bet, with Open Office being a fine (and free) option.
    Regarding layout elements like margins and gutters, the actual size you'll want will vary based on the project. My suggestion would be to look at some books on your bookshelf with similar content and measure the margins. Remember that you'll be adding 0.125" for the bleed (half the 0.25" addition you included in the page sizing).
    You can also download the MS Word template from our Create page - http://www.lulu.com/create/books - this file is a blank Word page, sized with margins and gutters preset.
    I'm not sure what you mean by MS Word "look" as the output file will be a PDF and will look like any other PDF. To my knowledge, a large number of typesetters still use Word to prepare the file and create a PDF, though that trend is changing as it seems InDesign is more favored (and offers more control over the file design). Regardless of the software you use, take Sphinx's advice and distill the PDF to "clean" it before uploading for print.