Legal Issue

I get a free LuLu ISBN & publish my paper book in LuLu.com , after that some other libraries & local printing houses asked me to publish my book with them , they told me that I can use my free LuLu ISBN ... my question is would that be legal ?!  I mean would LuLu accept that legally ?! ... Thanks in Advance 

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

If you buy the ISBN and use it for a book, you can use that ISBN for one book of one format. The company that prints and sends the book through the initial distribution process is your choice.

If you use a free ISBN courtesy of Lulu, you can use that ISBN for one book of one format. The company that sends the book through the initial distribution process is Lulu, and the company that prints the book is a printer either associated with Lulu or a downstream vendor like B&N or Amazon. You agree to that when you accept the free ISBN.

As for libraries printing your book for you, never heard of that.

Meaning one could posit the answer to your question is no unless someone working for Lulu tells you otherwise.

MSalem wrote:

I get a free LuLu ISBN & publish my paper book in LuLu.com , after that some other libraries & local printing houses asked me to publish my book with them , they told me that I can use my free LuLu ISBN ... my question is would that be legal ?!  I mean would LuLu accept that legally ?! ... Thanks in Advance 

• MSalem a écrit :

some other libraries & local printing houses asked me to publish my book with them

Libraries do not publish books. They buy them and store them for public usage.
    If you mean some local bookstores are ready to display your Lulu books and sell them. Good. Just check how much you'll earn.
    If you make another edition of your book with another printer/publisher than Lulu, then you need another ISBN.

• Thank you very much ... Now I can understand from that when I wanna make another edition of my book with same formate I should get another ISBN even though LuLu edition still avaliable ... it is OK ... but I can't prevent my self from asking " WHY IT IS NOT LOGIC EVEN ?! "
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I'm with Jean-Paul here -- I think that the Libraries and "Publishing houses" may have been asking what ISBN you used with Lulu so that they can order the book -- which would be OK -- but they are not allowed to use the ISBN to make a new edition of your book, because the ISBN is owned and registered to Lulu.

And anyway, someone trying to order it using Lulu's ISBN would be referred to Ingrams who would refer them to Lulu... So there wouldn't be any advantage that I can see in trying to reuse a Lulu free ISBN.