Hardback questions

Hi folks

Newbie speaking Smiley Happy

Do forgive me if I'm asking questions that I can find the answers to *somewhere* here but to save myself a little time (selfish I know....a plea for mercy!)....

I want to create a hard cover book, some 250 pages, white paper, standard fonts, with six or seven pages of colour images as a centre insert.

Can anybody give me a ball-park figure of what the manufacturing cost might be and how much I could put on top to make a little money out of it?

Also - am I right that my book will go on sale via Amazon? 

And...based in the UK, how might I go about getting the book into major UK stores, particularly WH Smith?

Advice much appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• I hate to tell you this but this project is a non starter. If you have even just one colour illustration in your book it will be charged as a full colour book. To manufacture a 250 page 6 x 9 inch colour hard back book costs £ 51.55. The book distributor takes half of the cover price so you would have to charge at least $ 104 to earn a few pence.

To manufacture a black and white 250 page 6 x 9 inch hard cover book would cost £ 11.40 so you would have to charge at least £ 24.

Books that go into distribution - and yes your book would be available on Amazon - can be ordered from the distributor. Self published books do not generally go into bookshops. These order from the publisher at a very deep discount off the cover prices and if the books do not sell they get returned to the publisher. Self published books are only printed on demand. The only thing you could do is pay for the books to be printed yourself and then offer them to your local bookshop on a consignment basis, but this is financially risky.

Traditionally a small print run of hard cover books was released for literary authors; these may become collectibles and people are prepared to pay for them. Most authors would go straight to paperback. I think it is a bit of a vanity for an unknown self published author to hope to sell hard cover books. If you're printing a family history book to give to your grandma then that's probably fine but to expect people to part with the kind of money required for a hard back book...I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Make sacrifices. 6x9 perfect bound, black and white, interior cream paper. It will still be beautiful.

• PS. Not to contradict Brambles, whom I enjoy. But. I made a few hardcover books several months ago. Steep steep price. And yet they have sold. Not a lot, but still.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

As for getting your self-pub work into major stores, if your work is of a high enough quality and captures the imagination of enough readers, it could happen. Some people do win mega-millions from playing the lotto even though the odds aren't great.

Your odds are better if you've already got a following, your writing is on a par with that of award-winning authors, you have a budget and time for marketing and advertising, and you're patient.

If you're looking for quick success, writing isn't the easiest way.

• "I think it is a bit of a vanity for an unknown self published author to hope to sell hard cover books".

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated - as to the comment above, do forgive me for saying so but that seems a little harsh without your knowing both me, the subject and the possible market for it - whilst I do accept said market may be limited, it is however, still there.

My desire is simply to produce a good book.

By the way - so you are aware of it...I'm a journalist and write regular articles for magazines....

just thought I'd mention that.Smiley TongueSmiley Happy

Thanks again for the help, any further input would be greatly appreciated.

• Kevin, you can do both, hardcover and paperback. People don't mind spending for quality products. Besides, hardcover will last 100 years. And libraries prefer to order hardcover.

• Yes I did see that as I was looking through all the info - the problem is the price difference between the two with colour images...

However -

as advised above "make sacrifices"...

I *can* do this book without images at all, or with two/three pages of black and white and its 240 pages (it could still go to 250 with added text to replace the image pages)

Which does leave the question of the dustjacket; can anybody advise whether or not that can be in colour or does it have to be BW as well?

Thanks again in advance!

• The cover is color always - no matter the interior options
  • Kevin, I've made both Dustjacket and Casewrap. I love Casewrap. It's beyond stunning, and you don't lose the flap (talking form a parent's standpoint here).

Keep in mind, hardcover book paper is white, not cream. It still looks great, but choose cream for perfect bound version. Great tone.

• I've sold 2 hardbacks of my book in 2 years. But the paperback and kindle have sold many more. Why not make all three and increase your chances? The reason it's so difficult to sell hardbacks here is that the price is so high even on our end that we have to increase the price just to make a profit. Making too expensive for potential buyers on Amazon etc. I'd suggest doing all 3 versions let the buyers choose the format.
  • Okay so...first, thanks for the replies (don't stop! I may need you further....Smiley Surprised)

Here's where I am with this project;

I have a particular reason for wanting this to be a hardback book and if it needs to be without images, then fine, its not crucial. Obviously I would prefer images to be in it...but I *can* do without...

I do intend to make it available as an-ebook, yes I am aware of the greater potential fo0r this so will be doing so.

Question - how would a three-page centre insert selection of b/w images affect the price?

A similar question arises regarding maps and diagrams

Thanks again!

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

B&W images won't affect the price much, other than the cost of additional pages.

Print books are considered either B&W (both text and images (of whatever type)) at standard cost or Color (both text and images (of whatever type)) at higher cost.

Images, maps and diagrams in B&W won't raise the cost of printing much.

Kevj1 wrote:

Okay so...first, thanks for the replies (don't stop! I may need you further....Smiley Surprised)

Here's where I am with this project;

I have a particular reason for wanting this to be a hardback book and if it needs to be without images, then fine, its not crucial. Obviously I would prefer images to be in it...but I *can* do without...

I do intend to make it available as an-ebook, yes I am aware of the greater potential fo0r this so will be doing so.

Question - how would a three-page centre insert selection of b/w images affect the price?

A similar question arises regarding maps and diagrams

Thanks again!