won't let me use my ISBN

I have gotten one book mailed to me, I have made revisions to the cover and manuscript, and am trying to get another print copy.  When I go thru the wizard, it won't let me use my ISBN.  Says it is being used with another book.  Yes, it was my book!  How do I swap out the files used in the 1st printing, to get a revised copy of my book?  (without getting another ISBN.  That is crazy!) Thanks.

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Revise the original project instead of starting a new one.

rebelauthor wrote:

I have gotten one book mailed to me, I have made revisions to the cover and manuscript, and am trying to get another print copy.  When I go thru the wizard, it won't let me use my ISBN.  Says it is being used with another book.  Yes, it was my book!  How do I swap out the files used in the 1st printing, to get a revised copy of my book?  (without getting another ISBN.  That is crazy!) Thanks.

• I did not start a new project....I did click the "revise" link by the name of my project.  It took me to the page that has the following at the top:  TITLE   ISBN   FILES   COVER   DESCRIPTION   PRICE   REVIEW.   It took me to the ISBN tab, and the form was blank.  I re-filled out the form, and when I put in my ISBN and hit "save and continue", I got the following message:

The ISBN you entered is already assigned to a book on Lulu. It may be a typo. Check the ISBN you entered for mistakes. If it was entered correctly and you think the ISBN should be available please CONTACT SUPPORT.

I remember on my 1st book with Lulu, I went throught about 7 revisions before I got the book to look the way I wanted.  I never had this problem before.  It takes 2-4 days to hear back from Lulu Support.  I am sure that authors do not get their book's format right on the first try.  But to have to pay $55 for a new ISBN each time I make corrections and want to upload again, just doesn't sound right.  

I went to the "Knowledge Base" and found these words:   You do NOT need a new ISBN when:

1) You change the price
     2) You make minor corrections (spelling, grammar, typos) to an existing edition
     3) You make minor changes to the cover design of a newly published work or the change is intended to provide amarketing boost.

*2 and *3 are the reasons for the revision of the book.  The wizard sayz I need a new ISBN.  

IS THERE ANY WAY TO REVISE A BOOK WITHOUT GOING THRU THE WIZARD?  My cursor is always send to the Wizard to "REVISE" my book.   Please, any help is appreciated.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

This would be a case where you need to contact a moderator directly, as a support ticket is in order.

I've used Lulu ISBNs and not had the issue you describe when I've had to do a revision.

rebelauthor wrote:

I did not start a new project....I did click the "revise" link by the name of my project.  It took me to the page that has the following at the top:  TITLE   ISBN   FILES   COVER   DESCRIPTION   PRICE   REVIEW.   It took me to the ISBN tab, and the form was blank.  I re-filled out the form, and when I put in my ISBN and hit "save and continue", I got the following message:

The ISBN you entered is already assigned to a book on Lulu. It may be a typo. Check the ISBN you entered for mistakes. If it was entered correctly and you think the ISBN should be available please CONTACT SUPPORT.

I remember on my 1st book with Lulu, I went throught about 7 revisions before I got the book to look the way I wanted.  I never had this problem before.  It takes 2-4 days to hear back from Lulu Support.  I am sure that authors do not get their book's format right on the first try.  But to have to pay $55 for a new ISBN each time I make corrections and want to upload again, just doesn't sound right.  

I went to the "Knowledge Base" and found these words:   You do NOT need a new ISBN when:

1) You change the price
     2) You make minor corrections (spelling, grammar, typos) to an existing edition
     3) You make minor changes to the cover design of a newly published work or the change is intended to provide amarketing boost.

*2 and *3 are the reasons for the revision of the book.  The wizard sayz I need a new ISBN.  

IS THERE ANY WAY TO REVISE A BOOK WITHOUT GOING THRU THE WIZARD?  My cursor is always send to the Wizard to "REVISE" my book.   Please, any help is appreciated.

• I fixed the problem!  Had retired the original version WITH THE ISBN attached.  I was trying to "creater a revision" to the wrong document in LuLu, hence the problem.  When I "unretired" the correct file....Lulu let me work with the project, make my changes and order an author's proof.  Almost 100% of the time, it's USER ERROR.