Not My First Rodeo - but huge margin, micro print size

I published with Lulu 7 years ago.  Now I am trying again.  Here are specs:  I have a 6x9" page book.  I have 429 pages. I  am using Times New Roman 12 and do not want to change that.  Here are my margin settings-Top: 0.8"   Bottom:  0.8", Inside: 1.25", Outside: 0.5". Gutter set to 0.  Mirror Margins.  The area with print on it should be approx. 4.25"w x 7.25" h.

When I got my printed copy of the book,  My inside margin was 1.25", my outside margin was 1.25", my bottom margin was 1.75", and my top margin was 1.75".  The part that had the printed word on it was only an area of 5.25" high and 3.0" wide.  In other words they were way too large.

The print size is about a Times New Roman 6 !  I have scoured the forums, but can't find my identical situation.  I use Microsoft Word 2013 on a Windows 7 computer.   When I print a single page out from the base document, it prints out the way it should.  What am I doing wrong?  What do I need to correct?  I am so frustrated.  Thanks.

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Did you upload a doc or PDF? If you uploaded a PDF, was the font embedded?

Margins, 0.5" in and out with a gutter of 0.35" to 0.5" should work.

rebelauthor wrote:

I published with Lulu 7 years ago.  Now I am trying again.  Here are specs:  I have a 6x9" page book.  I have 429 pages. I  am using Times New Roman 12 and do not want to change that.  Here are my margin settings-Top: 0.8"   Bottom:  0.8", Inside: 1.25", Outside: 0.5". Gutter set to 0.  Mirror Margins.  The area with print on it should be approx. 4.25"w x 7.25" h.

When I got my printed copy of the book,  My inside margin was 1.25", my outside margin was 1.25", my bottom margin was 1.75", and my top margin was 1.75".  The part that had the printed word on it was only an area of 5.25" high and 3.0" wide.  In other words they were way too large.

The print size is about a Times New Roman 6 !  I have scoured the forums, but can't find my identical situation.  I use Microsoft Word 2013 on a Windows 7 computer.   When I print a single page out from the base document, it prints out the way it should.  What am I doing wrong?  What do I need to correct?  I am so frustrated.  Thanks.

• Hi SphinxCameron: Thank you for responding.  I am ASSUMING that Times New Roman 12 is embedded in the CUTEPDF program I used to upload to Lulu.  I don't think a 0.5 inside margin will work with -0- gutter, as the book has 429 pages.  I don't want readers struggling to read at the left margin of the page.  Were my margin's too tight?  Is that why the font size printed at a 6pt. with HUGE margins at the top, bottom, left, and right?  I am struggling here?  Thank you so much.   (10-7-17  11:00am)

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Screenshot from 2017-10-07 11-51-15.png

These are the settings I used for a novel with 428 total pages (total number of pages being evenly divisible by 4).

The print copy is easily readable.

As you'll notice, the gutter is set at 0.4"

As for embedding fonts, it's a job property you have to set in your PDF printer, in my case Distiller.

You can also embed the 'fonts in use' in most word processing programs.

** Added 12:07 **

Also, check the page size setting in what you use to create your PDF. It needs to be set at the same size as your doc, otherwise it may be printing 6x9 as 8.5x11 output.

rebelauthor wrote:

Hi SphinxCameron: Thank you for responding.  I am ASSUMING that Times New Roman 12 is embedded in the CUTEPDF program I used to upload to Lulu.  I don't think a 0.5 inside margin will work with -0- gutter, as the book has 429 pages.  I don't want readers struggling to read at the left margin of the page.  Were my margin's too tight?  Is that why the font size printed at a 6pt. with HUGE margins at the top, bottom, left, and right?  I am struggling here?  Thank you so much.   (10-7-17  11:00am)

• Hi rebelauthor,

I want to reiterate SphinxCameron's last point:

"Also, check the page size setting in what you use to create your PDF. It needs to be set at the same size as your doc, otherwise it may be printing 6x9 as 8.5x11 output."

This is the most common cause of the problem you're seeing, and I've seen an increase in occurrences of the problem when creating a PDF from Word.