Lulu download won't hold my 2016 Word manuscript

-- I've made over 2 dozen revisions of margins, numbering, and cover page, and just getting this typed is problematic with all the monkey business of curser skipping, and I have yet to get a serviceable download of my script. Either I get an error message on my upload, or my download won't hold the order of my page numbers.

This is my 3rd book and by far the most difficult in getting a credible result. I asked for help a few days ago, but nothing yet.

I won't publish with page numbers skipping to the next page, and these are my personally added page numbers, not Word page numbers because I was getting header/footer errors with their numbering system even though I eliminated the headers and footers. I have been numbering 2 skips up from the bottom of my substantial 1" margin, but as the pages progress, those numbers eventually bleed over to the next page, making a mess of my manuscript that is no way reflected the order of my Word program? 

It would appear Lulu softwear is incompatible with Word 2016 after a year of updates since this is exactly what I used last year with very few problems. I finished my manuscript weeks ago, and am no nearer publishing today than if I'd never written a single world. Any software experts around to weigh in?

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I use Word 97 getting my print versions ready, no issues. Later versions, I have little experience with.

That said I also upload my own PDF distilled with an archaic version of Distiller. Again no issues.

As for Word 2016, if you can format your doc as Word 97 to 2007 format it might help with headers, footers, margins, and page numbers.

Otherwise try Open Office or Libre Office Writer.

Try Cute PDF or Do PDF to distill your file rather that the built-in Word function.

May the Schwartz be with you.

LondonRingRules wrote:

-- I've made over 2 dozen revisions of margins, numbering, and cover page, and just getting this typed is problematic with all the monkey business of curser skipping, and I have yet to get a serviceable download of my script. Either I get an error message on my upload, or my download won't hold the order of my page numbers.

This is my 3rd book and by far the most difficult in getting a credible result. I asked for help a few days ago, but nothing yet.

I won't publish with page numbers skipping to the next page, and these are my personally added page numbers, not Word page numbers because I was getting header/footer errors with their numbering system even though I eliminated the headers and footers. I have been numbering 2 skips up from the bottom of my substantial 1" margin, but as the pages progress, those numbers eventually bleed over to the next page, making a mess of my manuscript that is no way reflected the order of my Word program? 

It would appear Lulu softwear is incompatible with Word 2016 after a year of updates since this is exactly what I used last year with very few problems. I finished my manuscript weeks ago, and am no nearer publishing today than if I'd never written a single world. Any software experts around to weigh in?

• MS Word did a very wise thing in harmonizing the file types as either .DOC or .DOCX. Our system is fully compatible with both.

The trouble comes in when the file has formatting that doesn't meet PDF normalization specs. For this reason, we very strongly recommend creating a PDF for upload. While Word is a powerful formatting tool, the file must always be converted to a PDF at some point so we can present a uniform file for printing. By sending a .DOC or .DOCx file through our converter, you run the risk of seeing format not align properly, as our converter cannot detect any settings you may have applied in Word.

For the best results, I would export a PDF from Word, ensure that all fonts are embedded and images flattened, then use that PDF to upload for your file conversion.
  • --- Prob with with PDF is I created an account with them for my first book when my Word open source software started making a random mess everytime I saved the doc, hence my subsequent acquisition of a 2016 Dell with Word. 

I was going to do the edits on PDF and use it to publish on Lulu like they recommended, but couldn't log into their website after uploading my doc. Nobody could tell me how to get on their website because they never bothered to answer my desperate plea, leaving my raw doc of what amounted to a trilogy floating in space to my horror. I'd like to finish those final two books after this effort, but as you note, Lulu is PDF centric leading to Word software malfunctions. I still remember when Gates tried to host an international MS conference from his main location and failed because of internal software glitches. Thanks Bill.

I used Word 2016 for my 2nd book, strictly text with the same format as my latest effort with very few problems, but after a year of updates, and believe you me, there were a lot of gremlins that developed in that Word interim, it would appear at least at my end they are utterly incompatable with PDF. I won't go through the misery of signing up with the PDF folk again. My next step is to download my doc on my library Word, an earlier release probably dating to what they were calling Word 7 as I can recall that I published my first book on and see if that version holds in the upload. Otherwise, I'm lost at sea with a work that can't be published.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Unless you can dual-boot your PC and buy a Word 97 disk for <$25 on ebay, try:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

http://www.cutepdf.com/

http://www.dopdf.com/

LondonRingRules wrote:

--- Prob with with PDF is I created an account with them for my first book when my Word open source software started making a random mess everytime I saved the doc, hence my subsequent acquisition of a 2016 Dell with Word. 

I was going to do the edits on PDF and use it to publish on Lulu like they recommended, but couldn't log into their website after uploading my doc. Nobody could tell me how to get on their website because they never bothered to answer my desperate plea, leaving my raw doc of what amounted to a trilogy floating in space to my horror. I'd like to finish those final two books after this effort, but as you note, Lulu is PDF centric leading to Word software malfunctions. I still remember when Gates tried to host an international MS conference from his main location and failed because of internal software glitches. Thanks Bill.

I used Word 2016 for my 2nd book, strictly text with the same format as my latest effort with very few problems, but after a year of updates, and believe you me, there were a lot of gremlins that developed in that Word interim, it would appear at least at my end they are utterly incompatable with PDF. I won't go through the misery of signing up with the PDF folk again. My next step is to download my doc on my library Word, an earlier release probably dating to what they were calling Word 7 as I can recall that I published my first book on and see if that version holds in the upload. Otherwise, I'm lost at sea with a work that can't be published.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

LondonRingRules wrote:

--- Prob with with PDF is I created an account with them for my first book when my Word open source software started making a random mess everytime I saved the doc, hence my subsequent acquisition of a 2016 Dell with Word. 

You shouldn't need to sign up with any PDF Folk.  Word 2016 offers the option of saving as a PDF file.

Simply select PDF from the list of available file types when "saving as..." and you should produce a PDF document that looks pretty much like your word document.

I do recommend going back to a header / footer for page numbering. This allows dynamic updating which should prevent page numbers wandering down the page, as you experienced.

Personally, I've enjoyed considerable success uploading as Word 97 files (.DOC) or as PDF files (usually made from Word2010 ).

Another advantage to having Word 2016 make a PDF for you is that it will substantially shorten your "correction loop" since you will no longer need to upload in order to see the errors.

As an additional and possibly irrelevant question: How big is the DOC file you're trying to upload?

• My solution was to transfer my manuscript to my 2010 Library Word as I don't see the current 2016 Word compatible with Lulu's PDF format, and it worked, but I also used page breaks, some horrid monkey motion torture device invented by Word "engineers" who said we know we're a sorry lot with a sorry product, so we're gonna make you skip all around your creation because our program can clearly see the substantial page breaks already existent.

Thanks to all for the advice, but in the 3rd millennium I'd think we'd have something better from software than their stupid Cortana ask features and other like minded interactive social media muddles they're clearly trying to push on the public.

Ordered my proof copies to check for errors and cover My 2016 Dell sees my cover in a different color than my library computer does. Was told modern day scanners can't pick up blues in their true hues.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/bobby-mac/an-anthology-of-short-stories-for-o-henry/paperback/product-23360297.html