New author.. DIY/self-publishing template questions

Hello all,
I'm using the style template for the first time [Us Trade 6x9] and I've got several questions I would absolutley LOVE some assistance with:

1. Author name/Book Title- there are yellow boxes wherein they tell you to double click and put in your name and on the next page you do the same to put in the title of the book, and it's supposed to then appear on all subsequent pages. I cannot for the life of me get it to appear on any other page than the one I type it into.

2. They have a page for all of the front matter, and then they have a single template/style guide page for the first page of a new Chapter. What I can't figure out is how to recreate that page for my next chapter, and all successive chapters after that. I can copy and paste the text, but not the lines dilineating the Chapter header from the rest of the page/text, etc.

3. My book is full of illustrations. I have zero idea how to insert them into this template, or any Word template for that matter.

thank you SO much in advance!

Comments

• Hello,

Why do you need a template?

Can't you create a computer file in the required dimension with the proper margins, and embed pictures wherever you want?

Once your book is finished, convert your file to PDF, and send this PDF to Lulu.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

The template is simply a guideline on how to format your working doc.

As for inserting images, there is an insert image function in Word though I'm not certain how it varies in version after Word 97.

MicahBlackLight wrote:

Hello all,
    I'm using the style template for the first time [Us Trade 6x9] and I've got several questions I would absolutley LOVE some assistance with:

1. Author name/Book Title- there are yellow boxes wherein they tell you to double click and put in your name and on the next page you do the same to put in the title of the book, and it's supposed to then appear on all subsequent pages. I cannot for the life of me get it to appear on any other page than the one I type it into.

2. They have a page for all of the front matter, and then they have a single template/style guide page for the first page of a new Chapter. What I can't figure out is how to recreate that page for my next chapter, and all successive chapters after that. I can copy and paste the text, but not the lines dilineating the Chapter header from the rest of the page/text, etc.

3. My book is full of illustrations. I have zero idea how to insert them into this template, or any Word template for that matter.

thank you SO much in advance!

• Micah

I would suggest you ditch the template. Set 6 x 9 as your book size in Word and choose the margin size you want. The name of your book goes on the first line of the first page. Your copyright notice (including author name) goes on page two. I don't bother with any of the waffle; self published books are expensive enough without having to pay for ten pages of dedications, etc. Insert a page break after each chapter.

Inset your pictures into Word (don't copy and paste) and then use the picture tools to set the size and position of the pictures on the page. When you're done make a 6 x 9 inch PDF (do PDF works well and is free) and if you are happy with the PDF upload it to Lulu and you're good to go.

• I would like to say THANK you [all] so much. 

I was under the apparently mistaken perception that if I wanted to publish through Lulu I’d have to use their templates and include as much of what they put in there as possible. EXCEEDINGLY grateful that this is not the case!

• Micha I use the template myself. I just delete all the boxes. Then the margins and everything else is still there. The only thing I don't use that the template has is the font type and size which is 12. I change it to Garamond and a little bigger size. But works great. But as the others said you can make your own. The template is just there to help those who don't know how to make there own settings in Word etc.