Don't Stop Writing

Feeling a bit despondent? Sales aren't as good as you had hoped they would be? Don't stop writing. Here's why:

the more you write, the better you get at it

the more books you have published, the better are the chances of someone discovering you

if someone buys one of your books, and they like it, they might buy others from your back catalogue

sometimes a book which hasn't sold for months, or hasn't sold at all, can suddenly start selling

Comments

• I can't stop writing because I am a compulsive writer.  Smiley Happy

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

I write when I can because characters want their stories told and as a result they are an incessant bother.

Being discovered, that I'm not holding my breath over -- poopy diapers on the other hand...

• I'm not a writer. I am someone who wants to be one. My first book was done to get out some info to help others. After that I wanted to do more. Mainly because people were buying my books. As DB said you longer you do it, the better you get at it. I've learned so much since my first book. The people on here have been great and taught me so much. And much more I have to learn. But so far only one person on Amazon has complained about my writing. To me they were more worried about the writing than what was written. But I will get better. DB has been a great inspiration, we chat back and forth all the time incouraging each other to keep writing. The more books the more chances of making more money or being noticed. While I'm not a big fan of the book Fifty Shades of Grey or The Shack, both were self published if that helps you to know what's possible.

• potetjp wrote:

I can't stop writing because I am a compulsive writer.  Smiley Happy

SphinxCameron wrote:

I write when I can because characters want their stories told and as a result they are an incessant bother.

This is why I love Lulu: People here know what it's like.

Writing isn't something that a person can stop. If it's in you, it must escape. Either you write the ideas or they bounce around inside your head until you do.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

My skull throbs from all the ideas bouncing around.

Some days it's like an abcessed tooth.

Skoob_Ym wrote:

potetjp wrote:

I can't stop writing because I am a compulsive writer.  Smiley Happy

SphinxCameron wrote:

This is why I love Lulu: People here know what it's like.

Writing isn't something that a person can stop. If it's in you, it must escape. Either you write the ideas or they bounce around inside your head until you do.

• There's one idea that keeps popping up, but it would take me a solid year of doing nothing but writing (and at least ten volumes) to do it any justice at all. It starts as a space-story in a lunar colony and then pivots into a series of post-apocalptic earth stories, hinging on the City of Preservers. The Preservers are trying to rebuild human society, and are led by "The Man in the Moon," a generic term for the lunar colonists. 

If you imagine the Aman / Numenor / Gondor / Rohan relationship from Tolkein's LoTR and the Lost Tales, and the concept behind Asimov's Foundation series, and a bit of Mad Max, maybe some of Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky... Those are some of the general directions that the series would take...

I have imagined several scenarios, in no particular order --

1. A great festival in which the scattered tribes of mankind gather to pool their information (under the guidance of preservers) and to exchange their youths, for exogeny's sake.

2. A wanderer from an isolated hill-country village with too few exogenous mates, who makes his way to the City of Preservers, ad astra per aspera, so to speak...

3. The origins story, in which the earth is destroyed through no fault of its own

4. An adventurer sent by the preservers to prevent the fall of a semicivilized city that is beseiged by barbarians

5. A leader of barbarians who comes agaisnt the City of Preservers to make war

6. A family in the lunar colony who have been driven by desperation to leave their small remote lunar dome to try to discover the fate of humanity, and who find the great dome at Tycho Brae in despotic disarray

7. Teams of paired youths, in four sets of four individuals, are sent to colonize a lost city -- The story details their purification and reclamation of the abandoned buildings, and the perils of returning where mankind once thrived -- Thematically addressing the insignificance of humanity in the grand scheme of things.

I despair of doing the story justice, and yet, it's in there, bouncing around... I might be able to get it onto paper in fifteen or twenty years...

• potetjppotetjp Publisher

Skoob_Ym a écrit :

I despair of doing the story justice, and yet, it's in there, bouncing around... I might be able to get it onto paper in fifteen or twenty years...

Better start right now from any of these perspectives. Time goes by very fast.

• I totally agrere with you and you are right about it. When you are the bottom, out of ideas, sales are bad or you're just struggling - don't stop because it will only get worse for you as for writer and person. NEVER run away from your dream. Just what you enjoy - writem write-write-write, think-think-think-think, imagine scenes and people. yes, it is hard. But this is a test for you. How tough are you. And you'd better not to fail it.