Page Price

Can anyone tell me, has Lulu recently hiked the price per page up for Lulu UK books? Or has this been a gradual thing over the last few years? The last time I put serious time into my stuff on Lulu and when in fact I worked for them, (a good while ago now), the price for most / standard sized black and white books was 5p for UK printed books after base/binding cost; now, as far as I can make out, it's running at about 13p per page on top of the given binding cost. If this is correct, well, OK, if it has to be it has to be. There is also the outside chance of my  memory playing tricks, and maybe the page price was never that low, but I don't think so.

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Inflation and rising costs tend to take their toll.

I remember nickel and dime soft drinks and candy bars and a pack of smokes for 25 cents.

her_benny_hocking wrote:

Can anyone tell me, has Lulu recently hiked the price per page up for Lulu UK books? Or has this been a gradual thing over the last few years? The last time I put serious time into my stuff on Lulu and when in fact I worked for them, (a good while ago now), the price for most / standard sized black and white books was 5p for UK printed books after base/binding cost; now, as far as I can make out, it's running at about 13p per page on top of the given binding cost. If this is correct, well, OK, if it has to be it has to be. There is also the outside chance of my  memory playing tricks, and maybe the page price was never that low, but I don't think so.

• I know, I know, playing the old fogey, but once again Lulu's prices are making them, and by them also means us, less attractive to buyers. Joking aside though, has it been gradual, or a sudden / recent thing?

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I think gradual though I could be wrong. Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

her_benny_hocking wrote:

I know, I know, playing the old fogey, but once again Lulu's prices are making them, and by them also means us, less attractive to buyers. Joking aside though, has it been gradual, or a sudden / recent thing?

• It does make it tough to get brick and mortar stores to accept us. Including the return policy I hear. Although on Christian book store said they'd give me a table to put my books if I wanted to leave some there and pay them like 10 percent. Can't afford to buy the books though lol.

• Ah, that's the rub. Do we operate purely on a POD basis? Or do we buy in stock? I am stuck with that exact problem as well, and always have been. There is one other way though, stores who do like our books enough to stock them can procure the books two ways - the lazy way - for them - is to get them from us. I operate on that basis, and although it's OK most of the time, other times it can be a pain. There's been times they've wanted a small stock, but I didn't have any and couldn't afford to get them as quickly as they would have liked. But - as long as the book here on Lulu has an ISBN / is on a distribution package (dinosaur terms here, Global Reach it's called now), then the local store could get the books at wholesale price using the self same procurement procedures they use for all of the rest of their stock. Getting them to do this though, that's the trick.

Cheers

JH

• Our printing costs do fluctuate over time, and historically the UK pricing was lower. We switched to a new printer in the UK a few years back, and this contributed to the pricing increase too.
    I know our accounting team has been looking specifically at the UK store pricing to get some of those prices back to more reasonable levels, but I'm not sure where that project is at.
    The bottom line is that we do our best to get books printed and shipped at low costs, but it can be a challenge. It's something we are constantly working on and struggling with.