New LULU author: First questions

Can I get someone to number my pages?  What does it mean to have an even number of pages? Is that a necessity?  When does the copyright page become created for your manuscript and how do you fit it into the manuscript with the page numbering? I'm coming from 81/2 by 11 document PDF files. Do I have to resize how does that happen and make it 6 by 9. It is a grammar-error-free manuscript.  I'm awaiting my creating tasks.

Comments

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

victoriasecret wrote:

Can I get someone to number my pages?  What does it mean to have an even number of pages? Is that a necessity?  When does the copyright page become created for your manuscript and how do you fit it into the manuscript with the page numbering? I'm coming from 81/2 by 11 document PDF files. Do I have to resize how does that happen and make it 6 by 9. It is a grammar-error-free manuscript.  I'm awaiting my creating tasks.

1. Yes, but it is easier to number them yourself.

2. Each leaf (piece of paper) has two sides, thus two pages. If you have writing on both sides of the last page, you have an even number of pages. Or if your word processor tells you that the number of pages is an even number (68, 204, etc.) then you have an even number of pages.

3. If you have an odd number of pages, the wizard will insert one or more blank pages at the very end.

4. The copyright page is added when you write it and add it. It should be on the back of the title page. I sometimes make two files: The story itself, and the "front matter" (Title page, copyright page, acknowledgements, epigram). I upload the front matter first, then the story file. Front matter should always be an even number of pages (2, 4, or 6)

5. Typically, the front matter is not numbered. The first page of the story itself should be page 1. That is one reason that I upload as two separate files.

6. If the document is already an 8.5 x 11 document in PDF format, then you will need a PDF editor (Adobe Acrobat, Word 2016) in order to edit the document. Within the program, resize the pages to 6 x 9. If you originally wrote the story in another program (Pages, Wordperfect, Etc.) go back to that document, resize the pages to 6 x 9, and then save it again as PDF.

7. Best of luck to you.

• The total number of pages has to be divisible by 4.

• victoriasecret wrote:

Can I get someone to number my pages?  What does it mean to have an even number of pages?

It means that the number of pages need to be divisible by four. If you fold a sheet of paper in half, you will see the reason for this. You will wind up with four pages. You cannot fold a piece of paper in half and end up with three pages. Since books are made up of "signatures," which are bundles of folded sheets, the total number of pages must always be divisible by four.

Is that a necessity? 

Yes. As you will see from the explanation above, it is impossible to have a book with an odd number of pages. This doesn't mean that you actually have to number every page. For instance, if you have only three pages of text you may want to only number pages 1, 2 and 3. Page four would be unnumbered and blank.

When does the copyright page become created for your manuscript and how do you fit it into the manuscript with the page numbering?

You have to create your own copyright page and include it in your book. The copyright page typically falls after the title page. The only information you need to include is the date, your name and the copyright symbol ©. Like this: "Copyright © 2017 Alfred J. Author."

Page numbering of books typically begins with the first page of main text. That is, there is no numbering in the front matter, such as the title page, copyright page, table of contents, etc.

I'm coming from 81/2 by 11 document PDF files. Do I have to resize how does that happen and make it 6 by 9. It is a grammar-error-free manuscript.  I'm awaiting my creating tasks.

Yes. You need to resize it to the proportions of the finished book. What you should be able to do is choose your pdf software as the printer and print a new pdf copy to the new required size. The pdf creator should have options for selecting the print size. Alternatively, you may prefer converting the pdf file to a Word file (or that of some other word processor) since this will make doing things like adding page numbers, etc. much easier.